It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 8......And The end of the World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Or the end of my world as I am accustomed to.

So,my wife thought she would surprise me with a brand new shiny computer for Christmas.

Cool!!!

Boy,was I wrong.WTF,windows,not that I was crazy about you any way,but you served a purpose.

Now I have Windows 8 and trying to figure out how it works.
Apps?Tiles instead of my icons?My desktop disappears and I can't find it,oh wait I have to put my curser in the corner for stuff to pop out.
I can see now it was made for a touch screen so why would they put it on a non-touch screen desktop?

I want my Windows vista back!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to learn how to use linux or what ever it's called.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I had heard that MS completely revamped windows in their 8 version, so much so, that you basically had to start from scratch in learning how to use it.
I would suggest buying (or getting it other ways)a copy of Windows 7, its so much better than vista.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I run 8 and like it, it installs and runs faster than 7. I still don't use the apps and have to go to the panels to get back to desktop every now and then lol

There are a number of shells you can use to get a start button back on the desktop. I use Classic Shell. Have fun.

reviews.cnet.com...

Cheers

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
IMO Windows XP had a very good user interface, and they should have have kept windows that way to this day. At the end of the day, who cares about looks and "cool" features when doing work?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Wow. That's a REALLY bad rating. Vista sucked. Only 2 I ever liked was XP and 7. Which I'm using now. 7's good. See if you can reformat.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Win 98 was awesome in its day. I kept it for as long as possible but yea the two best in the history of windows are XP and 7

btw, the absolute WORST was ME, seriously a joke. I would have rather reverted back to win 3x than keep ME.

edit on 12/26/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
See that "windows" button on your keyboard, you know the one you could hit by accident instead of "ctl" or "alt"? Yeah.. hit that.

Toggle between your desktop and the alternate reality of "Start Page" as you see fit. Also, be sure to remove from the Start Page any useless crap apps and resize things you actually use, like the Desktop.

Win8 is awesome. It will walk by Vista about as fast as a jet fighter walks by a biplane with a choking engine.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

I had heard that MS completely revamped windows in their 8 version, so much so, that you basically had to start from scratch in learning how to use it.
I would suggest buying (or getting it other ways)a copy of Windows 7, its so much better than vista.

I'm learning how to work it,I'm just an old dog that doesn't want to learn new tricks.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOwned

I run 8 and like it, it installs and runs faster than 7. I still don't use the apps and have to go to the panels to get back to desktop every now and then lol

There are a number of shells you can use to get a start button back on the desktop. I use Classic Shell. Have fun.

reviews.cnet.com...

Cheers

Yeah,I missed the boat on windows 7.Vista was ok but I liked xp alot better.
Hey,and thanks for the link.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

See that "windows" button on your keyboard, you know the one you could hit by accident instead of "ctl" or "alt"? Yeah.. hit that.

Yes,I know that button.That was what I was using before I took the little tutorial.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
i tested it at work (i software test my companies software) and ditched win 8 after 30 mins.

its horrible but congrats to microsoft TRYING to innovate (their last time was with win95).

i still hate it though.

at least win 9 will be the fixed version. its just a shame anyone with windows 8 is microsofts guinea pig / beta tester

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamdavid
IMO Windows XP had a very good user interface, and they should have have kept windows that way to this day. At the end of the day, who cares about looks and "cool" features when doing work?

Exactly. I've been a PC Technician for a little over 10 years now, and IMO there's been no reason to deviate away from the XP interface. But Microsoft needs to keep the money train rolling, so they'll keep on reinventing the OS, and keep convincing everyone that the new one's so much 'better', with flashy lights and pretty colors.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Hi kdog,

I am writing this post from my Ubuntu Linux version 12.04 system.

If and when I have to use Windows, I use Windows 7.
As someone else has already said, Windows 7 is better than Windows Vista.
Windows Vista was never a very popular Windows release.

There seems to be a tendency these days to dumb down operating systems to better fit tablet PCs. I see this everywhere, ...also in the Linux world.

The latest Linux GUI's (graphical user interfaces) are all geared for tablet PCs, and are awkward to use on normal desktop PCs. I am referring to "Unity" and "GNOME 3".

For this reason, I am still sticking to an old desktop user interface on my PC, called "xfce".
Fortunately, in the Linux world, you can configure your system to use any desktop / graphical user interface that you desire. Other desktop (GUI) options are: "kde", "fvwm", "cinnamon" and "mate".

My system runs the latest Linux kernel releases, and the latest program binaries, but I am using an old graphical user interface ("xfce"). This is all possible in the Linux world.

To be honest, to configure and maintain a Linux system is more work compared to a Windows system, and it also requires more know-how, ...but there are benefits.

The benefits of using Linux is that one is a lot safer on the internet. Linux users generally don't get computer virusses, and the chances of getting hacked by a hacker out there on the internet, is a LOT smaller.

Those are the reasons why I prefer to use Linux on all my computers that connect to the internet.

I just wanted to add my 2c to this thread.

Regards
QMask

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by QMask

Thank you for your two cents.
I'm old school back with the first windows,was it 95?
Not totally computer illiterate,but I feel the technology is getting away from being user can control and tweak anything.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm just trying to figure out how I can hide the old computer under the desk where my wife can't see it and leave the new one up where she thinks I'm using that one.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by kdog1982

Wow. That's a REALLY bad rating. Vista sucked. Only 2 I ever liked was XP and 7. Which I'm using now. 7's good. See if you can reformat.

Yes,it's that bad,IMO.

But,there is hope!

Microsoft will allow downgrades from Windows 8 to Windows 7, Vista

www.computerworld.com...
edit on 26-12-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
i tested it at work (i software test my companies software) and ditched win 8 after 30 mins.

its horrible but congrats to microsoft TRYING to innovate (their last time was with win95).

i still hate it though.

at least win 9 will be the fixed version. its just a shame anyone with windows 8 is microsofts guinea pig / beta tester

Win8 deserves more than a passing glance (30 min) of investigation. I, a huge skeptic, decided to just use it for a week. Sure enough I was pissed for the first 30 minutes. Then in about an hour I chilled out and realized there is a flow. Some things not commonly accessed like power settings can be fun to find, but daily stuff is right there. Then that week became 2. Now its been a month or more. I LOVE it. But like all Windows you have to make it work for you. The Start Page is meh but it you treat it like nothing more than a full screen menu, it works perfectly. You can tune it and embrace the parts you like, while literally tossing the parts you don't.

The security and ease of wiping it down for a clean kernel should be an obvious WIN for anybody in IT.

Cars didn't come with steering wheels at first. They came with a tiller. The wheel was a novel invention. Now it is standard. Win8 just tried to make their RT and normal PC versions work similarly so interaction from one device to another is somewhat smooth.

People... its the same as Win7 where it counts, except it has better security (especially in the kernel).

One word: SANDBOX.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
There is a really easy fix for windows 8 if you want it to look and feel like windows vista/7

Stardock have Start8. it will give you the start menu back but you get to keep the ugly app store..

or the free Classicshell that is the same but not as nice. google Classicshell

Windows 98 - Good
Windows 2000 - POO
Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - POO
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - POO

See a pattern?

Personally windows 7 64 Ultimate is the best since XP-Pro. i will wait to see windows 9

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I beta test for MS, and along with many other testers, tried to tell Microsoft to leave the damn start button right where it was, and 8 would fare better when it hit the market, but no, they wanted to make everyone do things the new way, and make multi-tasking harder as well.

I'll stick with my 7, and we'll see what 9 brings.

Buy yourself a full(not upgrade) OEM version of Win 7 64-bit from newegg.com for a hundred bucks, and download all your drivers from the manufacturers site, and settle in for the next few years. I think you'll like 7.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
1. If your edge devices are locked down correctly then local machine security is not as huge a deal. Not saying its not important just saying lock down your edges and its even safer.

2. You could run a hardened version of UbunMintRH and it's still prone to the easiest exploit ever, the user.

3. Linux does certain things better then Windows and Windows does certain things better then Linux. One is not clearly better than the other..

4. People dismissing Win8 because of the Tile layout are clearly not spending any time with it..1 button and you have the same familiar interface you are used to.

5. If you have only 1 machine you can get any of the virtualization apps and run both Win and Linux to really enjoy things. You can also do this via boot mangers or a few other means but my pref is Vbox as a reboot is not required.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join