It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUYA: Video Game Console $99 !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I decided to make a follow up thread to the one I posted earlier: Quad-Core PC on a Stick $99 !!

This one runs the same kind of tiny board, same class of cpu/gpu soc, and is the same price $99.

Meet OUYA:

This little bad boy sports an Nvidia Tegra3 quad-core cpu/gpu, 1 gig of ram, HDMI, wifi, & bluetooth.

It will have it's own online store to purchase games from. Over 1,000 developer units are being sent out on Friday (Dec, 28th).

Here's a video showing the store:

This one is the official Kickstarter Commercial:

Pretty cool considering it will be more powerful than a ps2 and the PS4 is at least 18 months off.

edit on 26-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Pretty nifty .. I love technology like that..

I just recently got a Roku box and I've been in love with all the content i provides.. especially when used in tandem with plex media server on my pc =)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Or you could get thi s
An actual PS2 with games for just $46.

That system sounds like a huge scam. First off, very few developers are going to make games for it. So you'll likely only get some crappy indie games(I'm not saying indie games are crappy, btw). So you could get a PS2 with a library of thousands of games, many high quality ones, versus this system that probably has dozens of games.

I highly doubt that system plays games in HD. Maybe it shows HD pictures, no way it's going to be playing games in HD, with that processor and just 1 GB of RAM. Plus most good video cards are 100 dollars+. I can't imagine that thing is sporting a video card that is half decent.

If something's too good to be true, it probably is.

edit on 26-12-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Or you could get thi s
An actual PS2 with games for just $46.

That system sounds like a huge scam. First off, very few developers are going to make games for it. So you'll likely only get some crappy indie games(I'm not saying indie games are crappy, btw). So you could get a PS2 with a library of thousands of games, many high quality ones, versus this system that probably has dozens of games.

There will be 1,000 developer kits handed out on Friday. I think you're correct there will be a ton of indie games, but disagree that only a few major developers will end up in it. We'll just have to wait and see. Not sure how this could be a "scam".

I highly doubt that system plays games in HD. Maybe it shows HD pictures, no way it's going to be playing games in HD, with that processor and just 1 GB of RAM. Plus most good video cards are 100 dollars+. I can't imagine that thing is sporting a video card that is half decent.

If something's too good to be true, it probably is.

Why do you not think it can handle HD for games
It's roughly four times as powerful as a PS2. The fact that your imagination seems to be lacking has no bearing on the capabilities of this system.

Really weird how much negativity is coming through regarding new technology. It's as if people can't grasp the rate at which we're progressing, or fear being out of the loop so just deny what's going on.

I dunno.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This technology to me looks like just a fancy version of a mobile operating system without the phone. 1 gig is nothing.. these things cant run AAA games like Skyrim and FarCry 3. Heck we have 400 dollar phones with 16 gigabytes of ram that can run such games.

The Wii is also a very low power gaming console and the games made for it are watered down in scale and graphics - otherwise they would not work. I can't imagine how crappy those games will be made for the OUYA system. With the OUYA system you don't have storage space either.

Much better to spend a lil more to get a laptop that will have way more power and storage space like my new quad core Pavilion G7 laptop, Windows 8 64 bit, 8 gigs of system Ram, AMD Quad Core A-8 Processor, AMD Raedon 7640 HD video with 4 gigs of video ram and a 500 GB hard drive, 17.3 inch monitor. Cost a lil over 400 bucks at bestbuy. Plays Skyrim and FarCry 3 on high settings and has the power of a full PC too.
edit on 26-12-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Take it from the Wayne and Garth of the computing world ( LOL) This thing might be a scam -

Now I have done some reading on this. This is a concept system started by an Indie developer for the purpose of having a system that plays Indie games - not the AAA titles we are used to. It is open source. It was funded by people through Kickstarter. 4 million dollars worth was given to this company to produce this system by people like you and me. If the project fails, we just lost our money - no recourse.

If you search the net there are lots of folks talking that this might be a scam.

This thing runs Andriod operating system. That's a Linux OS so anything that will play under this will play on any Linux distro and vice versa. I have tried and cannot find any real gameplay videos that have been played by any prototype. As i understand it, this system does not have any prototypes that you can actually play on yet. They are sending out dev kits but those dev kit games will be developed on PC and designed to work on Ouya's specs.. this is the same way XBox and PS3 and Wii games are made today. - We dont have not one video of this actual product playing any game.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is very cool, I didn't even know this was in existence I was actually looking at the x arcade recently but now you brought this to the table I may get it just because of indie games. I grow tired as an artist seeing Franchise work being thrown about and a waste of talent trying to re forge an older brilliance I like innovation we will find in some up and comers that make these indies. we all know how Fez came about and Limbo lol and slender this is great thank you for this bit!

top topics

join