It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Censorship

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sconner755

I am considering writing a book on the cancer of the entitlement mentality that seems so prevalent in today's culture.

Sounds like a good read……

I would love to write a chapter!

Go to Godaddy and register a domain name. Get a hosting account. Create a website, and blah, blah, blah your theories until your heart's content.

There are plenty of those already…it would fade into obscurity in no time.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

What rabbit hole?

Let me tell you a fictional story that might help. Let's imagine that long ago there was an ATS member named Bob. Bob was a decent enough member who participated and built up a reputation as a good member. One day Bob woke up and thought to himself "Wow! I'm popular on ATS! That's awesome!"

Then Bob began to change. He started to get a bit of an ego.

One night Bob found an interesting story online. One that would not fit on ATS. One that the ATS rules strictly forbade discussion of. But Bob? Bob was popular you see. His ego had gotten so out of control that Bob felt like, without him, ATS would shrivel and die. After all HE was the one attracting the new members. So Bob decided that surely ATS would let him post the story - regardless of the rules. After all... he was Bob.

The ATS staff saw this happen, quickly discussed things, and figured Bob was having a bad day or something. So they trashed Bobs bad thread and sent Bob a note saying "Bob, man, you know better. What's going on? We're here if you need to talk." But Bob was furious. His ego was simply too far gone for any logic to get through. Bob replied, to the staff, "You don't tell me what to do! Without ME this sight would go broke in a week. I am the star here! Now, reinstate my thread of there will be HELL to pay!"

Sadly, the ATS staff replied "Can't do that Bob. Rules are rules."

Bob, having gone full Diva by this point, freaked out. So, in a spate of rage, he began posting thread after thread about how he was censored. Rage filled threads with four letter words in the titles. No matter how many times the ATS staff tried to reason with Bob? Bob simply replied "Oh, no. I will win! I will have MY way!".

After a bit there was no choice left. Bob had to be post banned or banned. So the staff picked the most logical option and did so.

Now Bob was absolutely out of his mind with anger. He went to every other message board that he could find and he screamed about censorship. His perspective was one sided, and he was angry enough to embellish. So he did. He bad mouthed ATS as strongly as he could manage.

The ATS members who had flagged and starred Bob so often, saw none or little of the truth. They only knew that Bob got angry and disappeared. Then the rumors began, Bob was elsewhere and saying horrible things about ATS. Was Bob right? Was Bob telling the truth? Nobody really knew. ATS wouldn't talk about Bob - and that seemed suspicious. Bob, after all, was a big star on ATS. Why would ATS not discuss him?

Some people decided to believe Bob.

What they never knew was that within a week or two, Bob started sending emails to ATS. To staff members themselves, via FB and Skype. Bob was sorry and wanted back in. He missed ATS.

Sadly, that bridge was burned. So nobody ever really knew the truth of what happened, except for Bob.

The end.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hypattia

Having been a seeker of truth for 35 years or so, I have found that since 9/11 there is now, censorship in many forums on 99% of most conspiracy theory sites.

So where did the OP accuse ATS?

I find the reaction hilarious.

If the shoe fits.....

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017
removed xposted text.

So, you're on here intimating that something is odd in a thread entitled "censorship" because one of the site owners replied to a thread first, while openly admitting you run a forum that is in competition with ATS.

Hmm

Now theres a conspiracy for you...

edit on 26/12/12 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

judgement
edit on 26-12-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: a

Does anybody else here find it 'interesting' that the very first response to the OP was by the site owner?

You wanna talk about Conspiracy! lol

edit on 26-12-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: clarification

Not really...this is their site...this is their bread and butter...I am sure they have a vision for it. If we all went all "GLP" on them....they would not have the site that they have.....if you want to spew whatever....unbound.....feel free to look up 4 chan and GLP....I am member of both but I do not hold their integrity level as high as I do this one...I would suspect that is because this sites owners demand a little more. Not a thing wrong with that...it is their site....they can demand excellence...or not...up to them.

I have witnessed what happens when you have no standards...pretty ugly actually. I have seen perfectly good threads get warped because there is no standards.....you have to have at least a level of expectancy for decency.

Kudos to the ATS admins and owners...they are trying to make a better place....just let them...and it will be....

I still go here and there and fire off tons of profanities....it feels good to not have my speech censored....that does not mean the content is worth a damn though....It is good to have a balance point...

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755

I am considering writing a book on the cancer of the entitlement mentality that seems so prevalent in today's culture. Your post and attitude exemplifies this entitlement mentality perfectly.

Here's an idea.

Go to Godaddy and register a domain name. Get a hosting account. Create a website, and blah, blah, blah your theories until your heart's content.

This is SO's site, not ours. He can run it as he sees fit. You have no "right" to anything to do with posting on this site.

Never said I had a RIGHT on this forum. Just say'n.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

That's, ummm a nice story and all. But just one story, encompassing one individual and a set of circumstances. I'm not 'Bob' and neither is everyone else lol.

I'm sorry, but this completely fails to justify the censorship of ATS. In my opinion, if the slogan is going to be 'Deny Ignorance', how can ignorance be denied if people are censored?

It's that simple.

To each, their own, I guess.

ATS is obviously successful, but so is 'God Like Productions' hahaha. Anyways, I was just kinda 'poking the bear' and 'playing devils advocate'. I didn't mean to hit a sore spot, I will cease in contributing to this thread as to avoid any further unnecessary efforts on your behalf.

Continue with the good work, and fighting the good fight.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypattia
reply to post by seabag

Yes, that is what I was saying. My ideal would be a forum where logic and some kind of documentation would be asked for to discuss said outrageous/controversial theories. I only contribute if I have some kind of reliable information. I just read and research what is theorized. Just because it's controversial doesn't make some theories untrue, or true.
I don't know where to go to discuss controversial theories, responsibly, compassionately, logically and openly.

Here's a thought.

Why not go out and create your ideal forum. If it is truly a better way to do it you will get all 6 million ATS visitors per month to come to your forum. If you just make $0.01 per visitor, you will make $600,000 a month by creating your own ideal forum.

Your welcome.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Great Advice!

That's exactly what I did!

To be honest, I had no idea what I was doing at first. But I swear, godaddy has the best customer service IN THE WORLD. I'm doing it with a friend, and I'm mainly the content provider.

Its in competition with ATS, and we allow COMPLETE freedom of speech. It has a rich forum that deals with conspiracy. This is the reason I haven't been participating on ATS much, been busy. Actually making money as well, in the first three months, believe it or not.

BTW, for the mods

I have never linked my website as a source on ATS. I figured it would be inappropriate.

So, you're on here intimating that something is odd in a thread entitled "censorship" because one of the site owners replied to a thread first, while openly admitting you run a forum that is in competition with ATS.

Hmm

Now theres a conspiracy for you...

WOW

I DIDN'T EVEN MENTION THIS FACT UNTIL THE SUGGESTION WAS MADE FOR SOMEONE TO CREATE A WEBSITE.

Because, this was exactly what I did, I then decided to make mention of the success I had.

Oh, you guys are good!!!

I'm loving the rhetoric and tactics being deployed here!!!!!!!

Please believe, I am learning much from this experience. lol

Further more, just to further appease the staff and owner, I will not respond to the messages that I'm receiving for links to my website.

You know what the people want? FREEDOM
edit on 26-12-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional comment

I know I said I was done contributing to this particular thread, but I figured it was necessary for me to address this.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

So, you're on here intimating that something is odd in a thread entitled "censorship" because one of the site owners replied to a thread first, while openly admitting you run a forum that is in competition with ATS. Hmm Now theres a conspiracy for you...

At least HE, is being honest.......

You are grasping at straws there.
edit on 26-12-2012 by SPayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

That's, ummm a nice story and all. But just one story, encompassing one individual and a set of circumstances. I'm not 'Bob' and neither is everyone else lol.

Of course not. Bob's ur uncle.

I'm sorry, but this completely fails to justify the censorship of ATS. In my opinion, if the slogan is going to be 'Deny Ignorance', how can ignorance be denied if people are censored?

It's that simple.

I've already posted a link to ATS and Censorship. Did you not read it? It's basically about a contract between 2 entities. One saying, "These are the rules". One saying, "OK by me.". That's a contract my friend.

ATS is obviously successful, but so is 'God Like Productions' hahaha. Anyways, I was just kinda 'poking the bear' and 'playing devils advocate'. I didn't mean to hit a sore spot...

Not a sore spot. Just a dead horse that damn near everyone is fatigued with.

I will cease in contributing to this thread as to avoid any further unnecessary efforts on your behalf.

Of course. Your message is out there now. Is your PM box filling up?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

Yes, that is what I was saying. My ideal would be a forum where logic and some kind of documentation would be asked for to discuss said outrageous/controversial theories. I only contribute if I have some kind of reliable information. I just read and research what is theorized. Just because it's controversial doesn't make some theories untrue, or true.
I don't know where to go to discuss controversial theories, responsibly, compassionately, logically and openly.

Here's a thought.

Why not go out and create your ideal forum. If it is truly a better way to do it you will get all 6 million ATS visitors per month to come to your forum. If you just make $0.01 per visitor, you will make $600,000 a month by creating your own ideal forum.

Your welcome.

I might do that.
Thank you.
edit on 26-12-2012 by hypattia because: forgot to say thank you

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

judgement

Does anybody else here find it 'interesting' that the very first response to the OP was by the site owner?

Not really...this is their site...this is their bread and butter...I am sure they have a vision for it. If we all went all "GLP" on them....they would not have the site that they have.....if you want to spew whatever....unbound.....feel free to look up 4 chan and GLP....I am member of both but I do not hold their integrity level as high as I do this one...I would suspect that is because this sites owners demand a little more. Not a thing wrong with that...it is their site....they can demand excellence...or not...up to them.

I have witnessed what happens when you have no standards...pretty ugly actually. I have seen perfectly good threads get warped because there is no standards.....you have to have at least a level of expectancy for decency.

Kudos to the ATS admins and owners...they are trying to make a better place....just let them...and it will be....

I still go here and there and fire off tons of profanities....it feels good to not have my speech censored....that does not mean the content is worth a damn though....It is good to have a balance point...

I don't like profanity, insults, and rudeness either.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Obvious troll is obvious

We've seen this so many times before. Seriously. Whenever someones ego goes off the deep end, or whenever someone does something stupid (like posting up peoples private addresses and suggesting they are involved in some sort of criminal activity) and the site is forced to act to protect both its members and itself, we get drama.

Its old.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

judgement

No, it's not interesting, it's perfectly understandable. It's not a conspiracy when the owner of a business participates in making his business better by enforcing his own standards.

What's more interesting is the mindset of those who use ATS as if they have some fundamental entitlement to use it how they see fit, not how the owner sees fit.

Can we all agree to have a different opinion? I do not feel a sense of entitlement, just expressing my opinions and observations.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I am considering writing a book on the cancer of the entitlement mentality that seems so prevalent in today's culture. Your post and attitude exemplifies this entitlement mentality perfectly.

Here's an idea.

This is SO's site, not ours. He can run it as he sees fit. You have no "right" to anything to do with posting on this site.

Just sayin' what exactly?

That you are unhappy other individuals are exercising their rights in a way that doesn't suit you?

Why even bring it up then?

Never said I had a RIGHT on this forum. Just say'n.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Of course not. Bob's ur uncle.

It's that simple.

I've already posted a link to ATS and Censorship. Did you not read it? It's basically about a contract between 2 entities. One saying, "These are the rules". One saying, "OK by me.". That's a contract my friend.

ATS is obviously successful, but so is 'God Like Productions' hahaha. Anyways, I was just kinda 'poking the bear' and 'playing devils advocate'. I didn't mean to hit a sore spot...

Not a sore spot. Just a dead horse that damn near everyone is fatigued with.

I will cease in contributing to this thread as to avoid any further unnecessary efforts on your behalf.

Of course. Your message is out there now. Is your PM box filling up?

I hope that by you saying "Bobs your uncle", that this is a reference towards something I am ignorant to.

Just because it's a contract, doesn't mean that its defensible lol. Cmon, haven't you ever heard of 'Bankruptcy for Profit'. Completely legal, yet underminds the promoted integrity of the business owners.

Not a sore spot? Yeah, keep telling us that. One day, it may come true. hehe

Of course. Your message is out there now. Is your Thread count adding up(with issues of censorship)?

I can't believe you guys are trying to turn this into such an issue. Keep beating that drum. I can assure you, no matter how justified you actually are(which yes, I do understand, and partially agree with), you will never convince people that censorship is good, and only there to protect the integrity of ATS.

I could sit here and come up with some story of 'Bob' representing ATS, allowing people to discuss conspiratorial things openly, then only to receive a phone call from the Illuminati. hehe

Truth is, if you guys didn't give me so many darn 'Applause's with in my first handful of posts, I probably would have never considered making my own site. Well, look what you created!!

Lets not forget, the OP WAS NOT ABOUT ATS!

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I have been waiting for the closed threads to be moderated and reopened to continue to discuss those topics. The issues surrounding Sandy Hook are going to be discussed the only question is where. If someone opens a discussion of these topics on a new site by all means let me know. I have participated on a number of other boards some are heavily moderated some not. I have not been here long but have noticed a few things. Some posters who have been hear a long time jumping into threads and acting like a moderator and attacking everyone posting simply because they don't like the subject. If someone violates the rules moderate and move on. It appears to me that it was easier to close threads than to properly moderate. I don't think I would be wrong in thinking other posters also agree with seeing the same things. I am not surprised one bit people would start claiming this is some sort of conspiracy after actions like these. The irony is it is happening IN a conspiracy forum. Your choice.....we can talk about here or elsewhere.......but it will be discussed.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
A long time ago I wrote this thread

The OP makes for interesting reading, and yes, its relevant.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join