It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New MRSA superbug strain found in UK milk supply

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

New MRSA superbug strain found in UK milk supply

www.indepen dent.co.uk

A new strain of MRSA has been found in British milk, indicating that the superbug is spreading through the livestock population and poses a growing threat to human health.

The new strain, MRSA ST398, has been identified in seven samples of bulk milk from five different farms in England.

The discovery, from tests on 1,500 samples, indicates that antibiotic-resistant organisms are gaining an increasing hold in the dairy industry.

The disclosure comes amid growing concern over the use of mode
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
MRSA found in dairy cattle should I be paranoid?
MRSA (Flesh Eating Disease) on the Loose
Superbug "MRSA" Now Transmitted Sexually

+39 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I am in no way an expert when it comes to these superbugs but I have always believed that the excessive use of antibiotics in our food and medicine is a bad thing.

My views on this are nothing more than my opinion based on things I have seen and heard over the years so anyone with an expert opinion on this please feel free to point out any flaws in my logic.

It has been found in seven different samples at 5 different farms which leads me to wonder, how common are these superbugs and how dangerous are they?

Here in North America we pump our food supply full of antibiotics and steroids as well so I can only guess that these bugs exist here too, and I would like a similar study done here in Canada.

Maybe it's just me but I can't stand how we are own worse enemies by contaminating our food with the intention of keeping it safe but in fact we are actually poisoning ourselves.

Perhaps the answer is more antibiotics?

www.indepen dent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Wow, this is a creepy coincidence.. I was watching a show on discovery the other night about how a zombie apoc would happen, and they described that a mutated virus would probably infect humans through the food chain. With the past few years of massive food recalls for different reasons, the question remains... is it really safe to eat anymore?

I guess that whole pasteurization thing didn't work so well... Good thing I don't drink milk much.

edit on 12/26/2012 by eXia7 because: BLARG my spelling is horrible this morning

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Ah... MRSA, I've seen one of these infections first-hand. Not a pretty sight.

And more antibiotics won't fix anything, that's what the MR stands for (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus).

I just hope this stays relatively contained.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Wonder if essential oils can kill off this resistant one. Oregano oil seems to be the strongest oil.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

No more milk for me until this is dealt with.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

Just to be clear, I'm not sure if you picked it up or not, I was being sarcastic when I said more antibiotics would be the answer.

I am against the excessive use of antibiotics as all it does is cause more drug resistant strains of these viruses and many diseases that used to be easily treated, including common STD's have mutated and are no longer easily treated, even with the strongest antibiotics.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
....Soy Milk, Almond Milk, Coconut Milk...

Those are all good, slightly more expensive, but not by much.

Drink those, I have been off of Cow Milk for 5+ years now.

Never Felt Better, breathing through both nostril's is a nice change.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

No more milk for me until this is dealt with.

I used to drink milk when I was younger, now I only use it in my coffee at work to so I don't get coffee stains on my teeth.

I thoroughly enjoy other dairy products though such as cheese, sour cream, and butter...but I think there will eventually come a time where I completely avoid all these products, especially if stories like this keep popping up.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This from the article lessens the impact of the story for me.

Experts say there is no risk of MRSA infection to consumers of milk or dairy products so long as the milk is pasteurised. The risk comes from farmworkers, vets and abattoir workers, who may become infected through contact with livestock and transmit the bug to others.

So the bugs are wiped out after pasturisation.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

I really enjoy the taste of Almond and Coconut milk and perhaps I may start using that in my coffee for now on as a replacement. Cheese will be the tough one for me to avoid, as bad as I have been told that it is for me, I really like it and the soy replacements I have tried just don't do the trick for me.

My suggestion is that we go back the way of those before us and do things naturally, but the big corporations who dictate the lawmakers and their policies will never allow this to happen.

We have created a monster.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent
This from the article lessens the impact of the story for me.

Experts say there is no risk of MRSA infection to consumers of milk or dairy products so long as the milk is pasteurised. The risk comes from farmworkers, vets and abattoir workers, who may become infected through contact with livestock and transmit the bug to others.

So the bugs are wiped out after pasturisation.

They conveniently leave out which "experts" made these claims, and what proof they have for the basis of these claims. I'm not saying that they are wrong, but I would like more of an assurance than "Experts say" due to the fact that the experts are actually wrong a lot of the time, and they are also known to lie depending which organization they are part of.

Another thing that worries me, is that raw milk is considered to be much better for the human body, but it is outlawed here in Canada, and the United States as well if I am not mistaken.

Many people cannot drink commercial milk due to their intolerance but swear that when they switch to whole milk they immediately notice health benefits.

I would like the option of drinking whole milk if I decided to do so without the risk of catching a superbug for simply consuming something that should be healthy for you.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

Pasteurization kills something like 90% of all the scary things in milk. A lot of people already are carriers for MRSA, and don't know it. Most of my family is because we've had it, and health care runs in the family (three nurses in the family). Most health care workers are carriers, as MRSA started in ICUs and hospitals, and then got loose.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Coconut Milk actually hydrates and is good for digestion.

I still eat Cheese, but its usually just in the organic pasta's i eat. Which are like 3$ a box and only serve two people.

I (and other regular people) didn't create any monster, when i (or we were) was born, the monster was already here, there was little to nothing I (or we could) can do about it at this time except hope for the best.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You're right of course , but I think it's not so much the over use of antibiotics as the casual use of them .

I always worried about the doctors handing out antibiotics for just about everything , even the flu , which they have no effect on .

I must confess that I've overlooked this threat from the barnyard .( factory farms ) It's probably to late , anything we do now would cause a massive disruption in the food supply and I don't think politicians have that much backbone anymore .

I hate to say it but our best hope may be genetic engineering , lets just hope the geneticists are smarter than the bugs .

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Milk is the biggest scam on the planet. It is non essential.

The only milk to drink is mothers milk as an infant.

Humans are the only species who continue to drink milk after weaning.

Says a lot really about humans.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Totally agree, I stopped consuming cow juice a few years back. It is sickening to see all these grown infants constantly being suckled into a sedated state of existence by their overlords.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by December21st2012
reply to post by magma

Totally agree, I stopped consuming cow juice a few years back. It is sickening to see all these grown infants constantly being suckled into a sedated state of existence by their overlords.

That's a good analogy

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Text
Another thing that worries me, is that raw milk is considered to be much better for the human body, but it is outlawed here in Canada, and the United States as well if I am not mistaken.

No. It's not illegal if you own the cow. Here in America local farmers sell "cow shares" to city people to make it legal. I much prefer the taste of whole milk and the butter you can make off the cream is TO DIE for.

Funny, too, in all our years of showing cows, and with all the people we know across the country who show cows, I have yet to hear of a single person dropping dead from ingesting their own UN-PASTURIZED milk. Not a one.

Pam
edit on 26-12-2012 by PamelaBritton2U because: i messed up the formatting

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PamelaBritton2U

Thank you for the clarification

I wish I had the luxury of having my own cows that are fed properly and not loaded up with these poisons as I would like to try this butter you speak of

Maybe if I search around I can find a local farmer who is willing to provide it.
edit on 12/26/2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join