Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Ha ha, Meet the press host under investigation for holding up "illegal" high capacity magazine

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
So, one has to wonder where this supposed law-abiding, intelligent, albeit moronic, television host obtained one of these high-capacity magazines in a city in which they're banned (sarcasm). This idiot doesn't even realize he totally scored a point for the other side!

Who is "the other side"? Is the other side criminals that have these in the District? Is the other side people that want it to be easy to illegally own and move guns around the country?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
While showing intent to commit an illegal act by knowing in advance the act was illegal, they did it anyway.

Of course it was a set up.

Firstly, to see if LaPierre would acknowledge on air the illegality.

Next, to see if he would persue the illegality after the fact.

Last, but most importantly, to see if LaPierre and the NRA would come to his defense in the aftermath.

What is the great importance in that? To be able to call the NRA hypocrits for failing to come to his aid on a Second Ammendment defense, of course.

Curiously, I read he may have a Second Ammendment attorney in case he is arrested on this. Oh, the irony.

Obviously, I think most of us know nothing will come of this, as NBC is admittedly state run media. If anything is done, it will be for show, as what is good for me is not good for thee.

Irrespective of intent or commission of an illegal act before hundreds of thousands of witnesses.

All of this is my opinion, of course, lest anyone interpret anything I say or type as slander or libel. In my opinion, he did this to himself, no one to blame but himself.

With intent and foreknowledge it was illegal.
edit on 26-12-2012 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)
edit on 26-12-2012 by Libertygal because: trex thumbs on a phone

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCanuckian
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

What are you, 10 years old? Do you even research the numbers on what guns bans do to crime?
If you did, you would not be speaking, you would be quiet and cross your fingers hoping nothing comes of this.

A new study suggests the use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the weapons were banned.

news.bbc.co.uk...

It goes up. Lonewolf is aganst gun bans it appears from his remarks. I really don't know what the point of your reply was.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift

So, one has to wonder where this supposed law-abiding, intelligent, albeit moronic, television host obtained one of these high-capacity magazines in a city in which they're banned (sarcasm). This idiot doesn't even realize he totally scored a point for the other side!

Who is "the other side"? Is the other side criminals that have these in the District? Is the other side people that want it to be easy to illegally own and move guns around the country?

Well, the amount of irony is staggering, hysterical really. Mr. Gregory was trying to utilize visual sensationalism when making his point for outlawing high-capacity magazines. I think it's best to avoid breaking the law when making your point in front of millions of Americans. Seems like a pretty simple concept.

The "other side" would be the National Rifle Association (NRA); or, anyone opposed to any type of ban on high-capacity magazines. Really, it would be anyone who realizes that a shooter would just carry more magazines if a ban was placed on magazines with a capacity of ten or greater. The sooner we move past "Feel-Good Legislation" that most politicians endorse and support the sooner we will be to solving the problem and making real and effective change.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Well, the amount of irony is staggering, hysterical really. Mr. Gregory was trying to utilize visual sensationalism when making his point for outlawing high-capacity magazines. I think it's best to avoid breaking the law when making your point in front of millions of Americans. Seems like a pretty simple concept.

The "other side" would be the National Rifle Association (NRA); or, anyone opposed to any type of ban on high-capacity magazines. Really, it would be anyone who realizes that a shooter would just carry more magazines if a ban was placed on magazines with a capacity of ten or greater. The sooner we move past "Feel-Good Legislation" that most politicians endorse and support the sooner we will be to solving the problem and making real and effective change.

This person has not scored any points for the NRA, nor has he scored points for people opposing bans. All he did was possess illegal contraband. Either he is arrested, charged, and sentenced accordingly, a win for people in favor of gun control, or current gun laws are ineffectual if they are not equally applied, a win for gun control advocates that want even stricter laws with less loop holes.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

The alcohol itself has nothing to do with the guns, its the act of prohibiting items was my point. History has shown us time and time again, that when Government prohibits and Item, it creates an unregulated black market in its wake. Alcohol and the War on Drugs are the prime examples in this scenario. Government had/has named these substances to be illegal for possession and consumption, and yet people still managed/s to obtain them in greater numbers than they were when they were legal. So we can be quite sure that if Government decides to outlaw certain guns and their accessories, then people will still be able to get them in equivalent, or possibly greater numbers than when they were legal.

And yes, in the event of guns and their accessories becoming banned, there is a contingent of currently law abiding citizens who would partake in the black market that will invariably be created. Some people with metal working skills would see the profit potential in manufacturing high capacity magazines and sell them. Other people with skills in gunsmithing could use these skills to manufacture what are known as Zip Guns (hand made guns, some of which are rather crude, single shot setups consisting of a metal tube powered by ground match heads, to very sophisticated multiple shot semi-automatic rigs), and sell them for profit. Again, I will reference the Prohibition of Alcohol. Some people, who were upstanding law abiding citizens, allowed their homes to be used as Speakeasies, because they were offered large sums of money for the use of their homes, basements, barns, etc.

Money is an incredible form of motivation for most people.
edit on 12/27/2012 by Dustofenese because: typo

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

This person has not scored any points for the NRA, nor has he scored points for people opposing bans. All he did was possess illegal contraband. Either he is arrested, charged, and sentenced accordingly, a win for people in favor of gun control, or current gun laws are ineffectual if they are not equally applied, a win for gun control advocates that want even stricter laws with less loop holes.

It further demonstrated that existing gun legislation is pretty useless and ineffective. Bringing that magazine on live television was not only criminal, but arrgoant; additionally, it was embarrassing for NBC. Mr. Gregory will have a lot of answering to do concerning that magazine's origins, etc, etc. Trying to make a point about stricter gun laws by breaking the law was a half-witted stunt, possibly resulting in a felony charge and conviction for him. He clearly did not exercise any critical-thinking that day. And regardless, the irony is still funny.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCanuckian

Another probable typical inner city Canadian who has absolutely no clue about gun laws.

Guess how effective banning high capacity magazines have been in Canada in terms of lowering gun crimes? Completely usless.

Guess how fast I can change a low capacity magazine on one of my larger caliber semi automatic rifles? About 4 seconds depending on the make of the rifle.

The majority of gun crimes committed in Canada are in the inner city dumps like Toronto and 90% of the time the crimes are committed using stolen or smuggled hand guns by multiple offenders who have been released back on the streets by liberal judges following a pathetic liberal justice system. Who suffers when asinine illogical liberal feel good anti gun legislation is passed in Canada? Normal law abiding tax paying Canadians like myself who have, nor want, anything to do with cities like Toronto and it's gun crime problems. BUT Toronto's and other larger cities gun violence is the reason why these asinine laws are passed and the reason why WE pay the price, not the criminals. And people in Toronto wonder why the rest of Canada hates them...

But I'll let Rex Murphy from the CBC explain it to you better, because if you mention "race" and "gun problems" and are a "conservative" living in Canada you are instantly labeled a racist for speaking the truth.

edit on 27-12-2012 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Hmmm. The police need to investigate this?
He asked if it would be okay to 'break the law' beforehand. The police said, 'No, don't do it.'
He did it anyway.
It was taped and broadcasted nationwide.
What is there to investigate?
Arrest him. NOW.

Someone said it was an airsoft mag. He purported it to be an AR-15 mag.

Sell an undercover agent a bag of baking soda, purporting it to be a banned substance... guess what happens? They arrest you.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The absurdity of this is reaching Kafka-esque levels.

If he is arrested and taken to court in the same area, will the prosecution be able to present it as evidence? After all, they would be in posession of the same illegal item.

Can they show a picture of it? Or does that give people homicidal ideas?

Can they even mention such an item? Or will they have to speak of it in code?

"If anyone else-besides me-says 'Jehovah...'"-Life of Brian
edit on 27-12-2012 by Snsoc because: spelling

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

My personal take on all this melodrama going on in-regards to the assault on the 2nd Amendment and the constant leaking of data from people in government positions about a coup= TPTB are stalling for time. They want to keep a certain plant illegal long enough for them to realign their investments and holdings to get ahead of the curve. If it is as everyone say's, one has to question the level of intelligence we are dealing with because I am not impressed. It reminds me of the whole "Big Lie" dogma. How a lie can be maintained for as long as the state can "protect" people from the truth. Let's face it, the state has been spewing a ton of lies these last few decades. It seems almost ridiculous the sheer audacity of their lies to cover-up fundamental truths of what is going on.

For starters, they have a vested interest in maintain the status qua. At this moment in time they have a degree of power they would lose forever if the status qua where to change. It just feels like all this garbage is a major smoke screen to cover up something else that is going on. I strongly suspect they are as I said above, re-aligning their investments, and possibly retooling industries. It may be looking into because if the wind will be directed to go in a certain way in the near future, getting ahead of the curve could prove financially lucrative.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Birds of a feather flock together, David Gregory's wife is head attorney for Fannie Mae, wake up America and the world, all of these elites are in bed together shaping and molding your minds into accepting a world created by them, a world where they set atop their ivory towers throwing scraps and promises to those down beneath, the people whose guns were taken away so they can no longer defend themselves from the tyranny of those above!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Looks like he's getting off.

And in a very Orwellian way too:

An official with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives told CNN that he relayed information to NBC from the Washington Metropolitan Police Department that displaying an empty gun magazine was legal. Meanwhile, an MPD spokeswoman said her department told NBC such a display would be illegal.
link

So apparently the ATF/Federal laws nullify the local laws?

Doesnt this mean that all of those states with their own AWB's and places like DC and Chicago and NYC who dont allow anyone but the beautiful people to get carry permits are all out of luck?

If DC laws dont apply to Gregory then they dont apply to anyone, right?

All animals are created equal but some are more equal than others.

I like how people are thrown in prison and killed over regulations that are apparently just made up on the fly and twisted as those in charge see fit. Really inspires confidence in the system.
edit on 28-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The irony is epic for sure. I mean, he should have known better than to flash that clip on national T.V. like that. If it is a real chip I wonder how he got his hands on it? A clip like that is not easy to come by. Although, a lot of people do have guns in D.C. despite the strict gun laws in the nation`s capital.

He could site journalistic use of the clip which might allow him to wiggle out of trouble; maybe. I worked as a journalist when I lived in America and you would be surprised the stuff journalist in America run across. I saw some pretty wild stuff while out in the field. Journalist run across so much illegal stuff on a daily basis that some journalist know more about crime rings in an area than the police do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join