It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Innocent man wrongfully detained and drugged.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Explanation: ...

Innocent man wrongfully detained and drugged (by Martin Zavan Approving editor: Fiona Willan, ninemsn3:06pm December 26, 2012) [news.ninemsn.com.au]

A Perth man was wrongfully detained and given anti-psychotic drugs after he was accidentally mistaken for an escaped psychiatric patient.

In mid-December a patient left Perth's Graylands Mental Hospital without permission and police were called in to help locate the man, PerthNow reports.

On December 16 a man fitting the patient's description was picked up by police and taken to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, where he was held overnight.

The man was then given anti-psychotic drugs which caused an adverse reaction and resulted in him becoming ill.
The real escaped patient returned to Graylands on December 18 and staff realised a mistake had been made.

Minister for Mental Health Helen Morton has apologised for the "dreadful mistake".
""I am very sorry for the distress and hurt that the misidentified man has endured.

The incident is being investigated by health authorities and the Western Australian Police.

Original Source @ Government apologises after man wrongly detained and drugged (December 26, 2012 - 11:03AM) [watoday.com.au]

Please refer to the watoday.com.au Orginal source linked [but not quoted] directed above for full story.

Personal Disclosure: It is easy to see how this can be related to stripping us individually of our rights as there is a 72hr minimum hold on anybody who is committed and this gives TPTB time to cover their tracks and to plant evidence and frame somebody.

I'd like to hear my fellow members outrage about such obscene things happening in such a modern and western place as Australia and or their own respective nations.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Just wow, and hi OL.

Of course there is something wrong with the system if someone can be snatched from the street, put in there,detained, and given drugs.

And saying it's probably the fault of a single individual is beyond stupid..

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Goes to show how little care or attention these facilities give to their patients, otherwise the staff would have immediately realized that they had the wrong man. Such a sad state of affairs in the mental healthcare industry. If proper supervision and care were given to the "escapee" none of this would have ever occurred.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
They shouldn't be doing that to the people in this institution or hospital either. The way they are being treated is just as wrong.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Agreed. It seems some places still run their business as if they are the human equivalent of a dog pound. I've no doubt the guy would have said who he was and his words ignored or dismissed as delusions. This just goes to show how little civil rights people in some institutions have.. once they are committed to somewhere with a mental illness label they are no longer autonomous.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is a deplorable story. Chilling. I can hear the man trying to tell people he is not the guy they are looking for and being ignored. Nightmare scenario for certain. I hope he sues. Might stop it happening to someone else.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I find it impossible to believe that not a single member of the staff realised it was not the same man. I'm sure also that the man could have provided ID to prove who he was.
Something sure smells fishy here !

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Today, I really wished I had chosen a different story to read. My heart will suffer for this person all night. My gawd, what is wrong with the health profession?
edit on 26-12-2012 by electricalpup because: spellcheck

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   

"Fitting the patient's description"? Possibly but are they saying this man had no ID?

Cue RFID. With this little chip mistakes like this cannot be made. Get yours today.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
But...but....

I thought the socialized Australian health care was the bee's knees shizzle mcdizzle?

This would never happen in the USA where the patient has to pay the bill. ID is required for that.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
So let me get this right, no one will be charged with kidnapping and torture?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I work in a Psych hospital, absolutely no way that could happen here. That says a lot about that specific facility that the staff could not recognize the patient. The 72 hour hold is needed. The problem is the facility.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
But...but....

I thought the socialized Australian health care was the bee's knees shizzle mcdizzle?

This would never happen in the USA where the patient has to pay the bill. ID is required for that.

Wrong. Most Psych patients come from the ER. True ER's can not even ask for insurance information. You can not be denied Psych care simply because you can't pay a bill.

However, this would never happen in the facility I work in. Ever.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
So let me get this right, no one will be charged with kidnapping and torture?

Charges may not be filed, but in the US at least there would be a nice lawsuit payout, and people would probably lose their jobs.

top topics

join