It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP! Living with Chronic Pain

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

I have a serious heart condition and have been on blood thinners for yonks. About 12 months ago my doctor put me on a new "trial" drug called PRADAXA (brand name). The advantage over warfarin and other blood thinners - you never need to have blood tests - it just thins the blood to an automatic level (I don't know how that works, I just know it works) it;s been a lot better for me than warfarin, so you might mention that one to your doctor - I believe it's off trial and available in the USA.
Next - about the pain - I have suffered unexplained joint pain for years and I found two things helped 1, Cherries - yep good ol' fashioned cherries (doesn't matter whether they're fresh or canned) and eat about 1/2 a kilo a day for about 3 days - by day 3 the pain should be all but gone, 2. DMSO (dimethyl Sulphone) you get it from a "compunding chemist" ( a chemist licensed to grind up and make medications). This is brilliant stuff - it comes in a bottle and you put it on with an eyedropper. It has a consistency between oil and water and it will reduce the pain in seconds. Side effects can be intense itching or intense (and sometimes very hot) "pins and needles" where you put it on. Don't be too concerned - this feeling drops away after about 20 minutes and believe me the relief is worth the little bit of suffering.
I have noticed someone earlier recommended visiting the site "Earth Clinic". I would strongly suggest you visit the site and have a look - loads of good natural remedies (it's where I got the Idea of cherries for my pain from).
There is also a blog there where you can post your malady and someone there might be able to help.
Cheers.
Aussie Bill

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
For those who may have missed it:

Just to clarify...

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances,......You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I had serious jaw pains for the better of two years. My jaw would hurt almost everyday, especially when I was stressed, and it's so debilitating. I'd find it hard to smile, and I'd be in a funk because of the pain.

I tried a master cleanse and that got rid of the pain, but it returned as soon as I stopped the cleanse.

I then read about my condition, which I self-diagnosed as TMJ. A book mentioned a bunch of herbs and remedies, but I didn't know much about them, and they were medicines I'd never heard of. What it did mention was to lower my stress, and it said a good way to do that was to avoid sugar and caffeine.

That was all fine and dandy, but I soon discovered saying no to sugar and caffeine when several people would offer me these things throughout the day, and being tempted, but having to say no to not be stressed, was actually stressing me out more! And the few times I would have sugar or caffeine, my partner would say, "I thought you quit those things." And then I'd feel really bad about it. So I ended up being more stressed.

I decided to eat sugar again, and I may even consider coffee, but I'm wondering if coffee makes it worse, it's hard to tell.

Anyway, finally for the past 4 days, I haven't had any jaw pain. I am amazed, because all of December it has been really painful. Yet, this may sound weird, I did a pagan ritual on Winter solstice to remove my pain, and it seems to be working.

Basically, we lit three candles. One candle for what we were grateful for, one candle for what we wanted done with our lives, and the other candle for what we wanted for our life in the new year. For the second candle, I said I was done with jaw pains. Of course, they didn't go away right away. I still had them after that ceremony, but a few hours later, we were talking about pain, and someone mentioned when they had lockjaw...

She couldn't close her mouth, it wouldn't close, but then her friend who studied spiritual healing for several years of his life told her what to do. According to his belief, he believes the way to work through pain is to focus on the areas between things. This immediately reminded me of auras, and how they exist between our skin and the world around us, so I kind of understood what she meant by what he said.

She then told me how she focused on the pain, but not the pain, what was between the pain. And she felt it, and was able to picture what it looked like, like some sort of tangled knot. She she focused on the spaces between the knot, and what she did was she expanded them. Kind of like blowing them up like a balloon. forcing the knot to stretch. What happened afterwards, she heard a loud clicking noise, and she was able to close her mouth.

So when I got home, I tried what she told me. I focused on the pain on one side of my jaw. I focused until I could really understand the pain. I then saw where the pain was, and I pictured the pain like molecules, with spaces in between. I then sent my focus to expand those spaces in between, and then the pain went away. The entire process may have taken me 30 minutes.

I then focused on the pain on the other part of my jaw, and did the same thing. The pain went away.

I then focused on the pain in my right shoulder on my back, and did the same until that pain went away. Miraculously, I didn't feel any pain for the first time in two months.

And then for the next 4 days, I didn't feel any pain at all. Well, I did feel a pain in my lower back from sitting funny while watching Lord of the Rings, but that doesn't count. My jaw was pain free. Occasionally it would crack on its own when I opened my mouth, but usually when that happens the pain would worsen, but these times no pain at all.

Only today it hurts a little. Not sure why. I shoveled snow all day for 6 hours, so that may have been what caused it. I'll have to try this exercise again. I suppose it's not permanent. I keep meaning to see a doctor, but if all I have to do is meditate twice a week on my pain to remove it, that's not so bad!

I wish you the best luck with your blood. It sounds really painful, and even more painful than my jaw. But everyone feels pain differently, so I have no idea.

Anyway, try what I suggested, but I have a feeling it may take awhile. It took me about a half hour meditating for it to work. I also was super motivated for it to work until the pain went away, and I super believed in the magic that it would heal. I think with doubt or uncertainty, it wouldn't work. So it doesn't hurt to try it, just don't be disappointed if it doesn't work. Personally, I think the power of belief is a magical thing. It's hard to explain, but I've seen belief do things that can't really be explained rationally except as blind luck.

Anyway, best of luck to you!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Always go to herbalist first. .
We have anything we need growing around us.
Narrowing of blood vessels is the worst consequence of tobacco abuse for sure.
I believe some kind of Ivy (Hedera) tinc. may be usefull (among others) in such cases.
In terms of Cannabis application (and T&C) - no problem - there is a legal alternative - industrial hemp.
A good source of essentially pure cannabidiol (non psychotropic yet amazing and legal compound). It's also beneficial in the case of mentally unstable patient. This herb made opiates twice as effective in some studies...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Not exactly sure if you could use while actively harboring blood clots, but have you ever used a sequential compression device? I'm still a student, but I do work at a hospital and patients use these machines for DVT prophylaxis. Leg wraps connected to this pump squeeze the legs, pushing blood back to heart. Also, do you use compression stockings?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBigBlueKind

Nods yep sure do. My hematologist recommended wearing them but the swelling still happened anyway on Christmas night after dinner. Not sure if it was from sitting down for so long. I just buy the over the counter ones here, for now anyway. We aren't sure if the swelling is from the clotting or from something else....the machine sounds interesting, you must have seen some interesting cases too.

edit on 27-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charmeine
Seriously, what do you folks do to help with chronic pain?

I've had two doctors try to tell me I have diabetic neuropathy (which I don't really have the symptoms of) and just recently a doctor told me I have something called Renaud's syndrome, which is a circulation problem.

I seem to get a tolerance to prescription drugs easily so they don't help much - Ibuprofen does tho.

I've had 3 non-drug activities help me.

1.) Changes in my posture. Mostly my upper back. Sometimes my lower back.
2.) Anything that should lower my brainwaves (meditation, daydreaming, zoning out watching a TV show or movie, relaxation techniques, etc...).
3.) Breathing Exercises. www.drweil.com...

If you are having a circulation problem in your legs, the pain is probably cramping from oxygen deprivation. Marathon runners can get this when their breathing messes up - runner's cramps. So basically muscle tension.

I don't know if changes in your posture would help, but the other two I listed might.

Anything that lowers your brainwaves relaxes your muscles. It even helps when I do a peripheral vision exercise, which I found there's a meditation using your peripheral vision (of course I found it about a month after I figured it out myself.) Anyway, when you activate your peripheral vision, it deactivates your central vision and any input from your central vision that is causing your brainwaves to elevate (anxiety, phobias, PTSD, etc...) is immediately cut resulting in a lowering of your brainwaves.

Also, anything that makes your pupils in your eyes constrict should lower your brainwaves. Reading something up close for instance.

The breathing exercises might help with the pins and needles. The second one on the link above has helped a bit for me. It's holding your breath which puts a slight positive air pressure in your lungs which would make your lungs absorb a little more oxygen (see also Altitude Sickness). It says to hold your breath for 7 seconds, but I do it for 10 seconds. Also, slow, deep breathing can help.

I hope this helps. I understand what you're feeling. The pain sucks especially when I'm trying to go to sleep and it probably interrupts my dream cycle.
edit on 28-12-2012 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

Thanks for your post I am sorry to hear of your issues too. Sounds like your doctors don't really know what is going on or the full story yet? Have you been to many doctors or asked for second opinions? I know it can be hard to get some of them to take you seriously when you have multiple conditions or symptoms.

I find it's way worse as you said, when lying down at night to sleep. Do athletes experience this too? Today I had the weirdest sensation when my arm swelled up. It got really hard around the elbow, I could feel the veins popping out. And then like a release, I felt fluid move through my arm.

The only way to describe is like a clogged drain. It builds up, plugs up, things stop moving - and then it all just flushes away and clears. That's kind of what I feel in my arm and legs - mostly in my legs.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Brainwave entrainment could be usefull. There's a programm with a session for chronic pain and fibromyalgia.

This session uses Sub-Delta (0 - 1 hz) frequencies, which seem to have soothing effects on the limbic system - the amygdala and hypothalamus in particular, which themselves operate at delta frequencies. It is theorized that this is the reason delta frequencies are so helpful with conditions such as fibromyalgia and chronic pain, as well hypertension.
For more information on this session, refer to the NEUROPROGRAMMER 2 documentation.

However is it always good to run away from pain? Remember Robert De Niro in Meet the parents? Pain is instructive.
It's here to bring consciousness down to (that part of) body so the brain can resolve the problem. It may also take your mind to subconsciousness in case of psychosomatic cause. There was a yogi technique: Concentrate on pain immediately visualising light in that place.(you can experiment with coloured light later) Meditate on pain, become one with it. It will increase at first but then things start to go better. You will either recover or at least find the way to ignore the pain like it isn't there.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Yes, my uncle had hemophilia also. It's an X-linked recessive genetic condtion. That's to say the gene is carried on one of the X-chromosomes of an unaffected mother -- a carrier of the gene. Any male or female offspring will have a 50% chance of inheriting the mutated gene. Male offspring who inherit the gene, have hemophilia. Female offspring who inherit the gene become carriers thereof. Also, and female offspring I may come to create will have a 100% chance of inheriting the gene because they would have a 100% chance of inheriting my single X-chromosome.

And unfortunately, what some of the members responding to your thread fail to realize is that genetic clotting disorders are not curable or significantly treatable via alterations in diet or herbal medicines. And from what I've been reading about factor V Leiden, it's a relatively newly discovered condition that many doctors aren't familiar with. Pain is, however, treatable with herbal medicines. The only issue is that the most -- pretty much the only -- effective analgesics for severe pain, whether pharmaceutical or plant-based, are highly addictive. Withdrawal can be worse than the pain caused by the condition, which prompted use of the analgesic.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by darkmistandtrees

Yes that's why I was getting frustrated with earlier responses. Not much known about blood disorders at all. FVL was only discovered in 1991 and I only received my diagnosis in 2001. We only have a handful of hematologists where I live and they are still learning about it. My own hematologist has a blood condition, he showed me his stockings he wears and recommended that I wear them all the time.

I'm finding it important to educate people about the rare genetic disorders because they can create so many other problems. I saw my doc today - I have more drugs yay! Back on Tramadol and feeling good right now. It's a temporary fix until we have a full diagnosis. Next tests include:

Rheumatoid Arthritis (many people with Factor V or X genes have forms of arthritis)
Vasculitis
peripheral arterial disease (PAD)

Hoping everyone here is having a good day today.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charmeine
reply to post by darkmistandtrees

Yes that's why I was getting frustrated with earlier responses. Not much known about blood disorders at all. FVL was only discovered in 1991 and I only received my diagnosis in 2001. We only have a handful of hematologists where I live and they are still learning about it. My own hematologist has a blood condition, he showed me his stockings he wears and recommended that I wear them all the time.

I'm finding it important to educate people about the rare genetic disorders because they can create so many other problems. I saw my doc today - I have more drugs yay! Back on Tramadol and feeling good right now. It's a temporary fix until we have a full diagnosis. Next tests include:

Rheumatoid Arthritis (many people with Factor V or X genes have forms of arthritis)
Vasculitis
peripheral arterial disease (PAD)

Hoping everyone here is having a good day today.

Why do you need to EDUCATE people on your rare blood clot disorder? You originally asked for HELP but as I pointed out earlier that you knew all there was to know about your disorder. You are a deceptive individual. I don't have 60 pounds to lose like you do which is most likely why your having problems. I know you don't want to go there. You are lectured enough by doctors on health and fitness but you never take their advice. I feel like I am filling out your disability check as I write.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tidycat

you are twisting my words around. Perhaps you should read the thread from the beginning. Please stop responding if you have nothing positive to add.

I noted that I HAD LOST 60 pounds. I don't have 60 pounds to lose. Not that it's any of your business but I am doing everything suggested by my doctors. You are twisting my words, I am not deceptive. I think it's important to educate people about rare disorders because they are genetic and can affect any family. There are many blood disorders out there - and can affect all kinds of people. For the record, I am not on disability - I am still working while going through testing. I could say a few other things to you, but out of respect for mods, I won't.

edit on 30-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

edit on 30-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Hey Charmeine, are they keeping track of your blood gasses? You mentioned the peripheral edema (swelling). That can have a lot to do with your breathing.

Also, how far above sea level are you? (sorry, I don't remember if you posted where you are from)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I would try taking TNF and TGF blockers as pain is usually associated with inflammation, natural tnf/tgf blockers are:

apple polyphenols capsules
apigenin capsules
Rosehip powder

Nettle, chamomile, dandelion and burdock herbal teas

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

People who take pain killers long term have much lower rates of addiction than those who use it short term.

It is mainly the person who got a few weeks worth after surgery that ends up getting addicted.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Thanks all. I'll post more in a week or so when we have more results and more info to work with. I appreciate your responses so far.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

HELP! Living with Chronic Pain
Even if might not believe it and it looks like made for other purposes,this natural extract of plants will heal you in few months,

Mulberry leaves are rich in 1-deoxynojirimycin (DNJ), an inhibitor of α-glucosidase. We previously showed that DNJ-rich mulberry leaf extract suppressed elevation of postprandial blood glucose in humans. The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of DNJ-rich mulberry leaf extract on plasma lipid profiles in humans. An open-label, single-group study was conducted in 10 subjects with initial serum triglyceride (TG) level ≥200 mg/dl. Subjects ingested capsules containing DNJ-rich mulberry leaf extract at 12 mg three times daily before meals for 12 weeks. Our findings showed a modest decrease in serum TG level and beneficial changes in the lipoprotein profile following 12-week administration of DNJ-rich mulberry leaf extract. No significant changes in hematological or biochemical parameters were observed during the study period; no adverse events associated with DNJ-rich mulberry leaf extract occurred.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

You will be healed.

edit on 12-5-2013 by piequal3because14 because: Forgot to add source

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join