Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

HELP! Living with Chronic Pain

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
So this may sound a bit like a pity fest of one but I'm super bummed out after having to cut my Christmas dinner short with family after swelling up like a balloon. I want to sleep, exhausted but I'm in too much pain at the moment.

I'm a complicated case. I have a rare blood clotting disorder and am suffering from Chronic Clot at the moment (bad veins, the vein walls are thickening, constantly and causing clotting). If you have ever had a charlie horse, or pins and needles in your legs, this is what I'm feeling all the time. ALL the time. My doc put me on XXX name here but all it did was make me stoned. Hot baths don't help with the pain - it seems nothing does.

I also have osteoarthritis which is painful at best of times.

So - my question is - for those with chronic pain how the 'eff do you deal with it on bad days?
Do you take herbs? (please don't mention the use of medications or drugs)
Do you find movement and exercise helps?
Home remedies?

Seriously, what do you folks do to help with chronic pain?

Edited not to break ats rules
edit on 26-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

Edit per OP request:

I have Factor V Leiden. It's a rare blood clotting disorder that I've had from birth. It is not from an infection. It is not anything except - a mutation of a gene inherited from my mother. FVL is an inherited disorder - there is no cure for it. It means that your blood is prone to clotting and most who have FVL wind up on blood thinners for life. Most will eventually die of a blood clot or what we're all fearful of - PE - in the lungs.

So really I need to be inventive in finding ways to cope with the pain from multiple symptoms of the disorder. The disorder was discovered in 1991 by Leiden and there is a family of genes that can mutate and all cause clotting disorders. The only way this disorder can be managed is through the use of blood thinners. My chronic clotting started up again this summer - my physician figures from my bus trips I took to the mountains, sitting on a bus for hours on end that did it.

So please - I don't need a diagnosis or tips on diet...just suggestions on how to deal with daily pain - part of living with the disorder.

Thank you all for your responses thus far.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Thu Dec 27 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: add content

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Stay away from opiates at all costs

There's a healthy option you can explore but it can't be discussed here

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
***oops***
edit on 26-12-2012 by turboneon because: Did not realize I broke a rule and changed it as soon as i could.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

My condition is different so any remedies I have may not be well suited for you.

What I would suggest is looking at websites/chat rooms dedicated to your condition (there should be a plethora) and talk to those folks that are suffering the same afflictions as you are.

Good luck and god bless.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

I was on narcotics for two weeks it just made me really stoned - did nothing for the pain. But it felt great at the time!

Curious why can't it be discussed?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Could you please share them anyway? Might help someone else....

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by turboneon

Ouch is right...I'm not even sure we're allowed to discuss that here on ats but there have been days when I have been tempted! But not an option for the field I work in. Hope things get better for you.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charmeine
reply to post by Hawking

I was on narcotics for two weeks it just made me really stoned - did nothing for the pain. But it felt great at the time!

Curious why can't it be discussed?

It's against the site's terms and conditions - poster after me mentioned it anyway but his post will be deleted and the thread might be closed because of it.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
have you tried acupressure/acupuncture for your pain? search up "Chronic Pain" at Earth Clinic, they have a bunch of remedies on how to relieve your pain. Although I do not have chronic pain, EC has helped me with my tinnitus.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Edited the OP so...hopefully it doesn't get deleted!

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Philosorapter

I was seeing a Reiki master for awhile there who specialized in cranial sacral therapy which worked wonders on my migraines but she's out of the country for awhile (living it up in Mexico). No, haven't tried acupuncture - a little needle phobic.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Not an option unfortunately - would definitely lose the job if I did that. Working with my doc for a full diagnosis, still have more tests to do, just trying to get by in the mean time.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
There is a documentary by a person named Rick Simpson that you may want to look into.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm not sure, but Capsaicin may be able to play a role in helping with the pain.

Also... there are means in which can not be discussed on ATS. But I will say this..

These 'drugs' do not remove the pain, but influence the emotional response to said pain.... which may result in the pain becoming tolerable. There have been many recent studies, published in peer review science journals about this very topic. Unfortunately, the subject is too taboo for the censorship loving ATS moderators. But a simple Google Scholar search will provide more information in regards to what I'm speaking of.....

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

That's exactly what I've been like the last two weeks. I still felt the pain but didn't care at all while I was on the medication. I was pretty much rendered useless otherwise lol Problem with pain killers is they are addictive, and I don't want to have to take them for the rest of my life. I will likely wind up on blood thinners for life to deal with the clotting issues and those can be hard on the body.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Charmeine

I take opiates its the only thing that cutes down on my pain when its over the top.. but i think beezzer has the best idea go to the websites that have people suffering from the same afflictions and see what they do to help them through the bad days..chronic pain can be over whelming at times best of luck to you..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Influence emotional response to said pain is about the best way to describe it.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charmeine
reply to post by beezzer

Could you please share them anyway? Might help someone else....

Sure! I have implants all through my left leg. Artificial joint, coupled with repaired ligaments and tendons.

Fought opiate addiction so now I use homeopathic balms (actually one is working great from a fellow ATS'er who sent it to me) I use asprin/ibuprophen and actually physical exercise helps.

Believe it or not, physical exercise strengthens portions of the body that compensate for damaged parts. Now I don't know if that'll help your condition, but I do hope you feel better.

beez

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Yes thanks, I did find a group on facebook and there are 800 members there. Nice little page, just having a woe is me kind of night and wanted to see what others here on ats thought - glad to have found the health forum!

That said...ANYONE who has severe leg cramps, especially at night time - get it checked out. Main symptom behind a blood clot which can be fatal. Leg cramps and pain are not a normal process of aging.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join