It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Smoking Gun That THEY WANT YOU TO KEEP! The REAL Story.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
bravo, this is the real issue. but we'll never hear about it , as the pharmaceutical companies are too powerful and rich.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Bumping this because... Well because, as I predicted more than once... and was vilified for predicting - more than once...That the weapons ban would not pass... that it was a smokescreen.

America is now safely in possession of their AR-15's. However the bar for a mental illness diagnosis got moved way, way, way closer to the middle in the midst of all this.

In other words, congratulations Pfizer... your Prozac sales are about to go straight through the roof- all thanks to some well placed political intrigue, opportunistic use of tragedy, bribes, and good old fashioned fear mongering. Thanks to our paranoia and reactionary demeanor - an entire generation of mildly emo kids will now be seen as threats and medicated... all to your profits.

Oh and we won't say diddly because we're just happy we get to keep our AR's and AK's.

Well played.
edit on 3/21/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I am happy you bumped this thread, and I just want to reiterate how much I agree with your points concerning the real issues at stake here in the US. We continue to fight our wars and slaughter each other other here in this country due to our love of the drugs we use to self-medicate and our undying support of big pharma...yet, we cut funding to treat mental illness and choose to incarcerate users...freaking neocons...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyingclaydisk
Excellent thread! So good in fact that it prompted me to take the plunge and (finally) join ATS.

One thing I've seen mentioned here, though not really explored in too much detail, is the role that video games play in all of this. Now I know there are tons of threads here on ATS about the video game subject, but my thoughts relate directly to the discussion at hand.

Just in this thread alone I think I've read no less than 4-5 firsthand accounts of folks who have been prescribed SSRI's who in short order begin to withdraw socially, to seemingly lose the ability to care. To paraphrase, words like "acting" out emotions in the absence of real ones, 'anger' and 'focus' have been used. The wildly popular First Person Shooter games capitalize on every one of these emotions or lack thereof. To be good you must have focus and in many respects be angry (or at least aggressive). Now I certainly wouldn’t consider myself a gamer by any stretch, but I have played a few, and in just the little exposure I’ve had it seems like the underpinning theme is kill, kill and more kill.

So what does all this have to do with SSRI’s and the big pharma leviathans? Well, for starters it seems that the combination of SSRI’s and video games exaggerates the effects of the SSRI’s. When you couple that with the effects of distancing of oneself from society and not caring you’ve just about created the “perfect storm” to create a killing machine.

If you watch any of the MSM rhetoric (which I try to avoid) about going out and rounding up guns, in the very same breath there’s some kind of a statement about needing to shore up mental health. As others have noted, this theme almost drives people towards, not away, from seeking even more of these psychotropic drugs as the solution, not less.

Perhaps part of the solution for the use of these drugs may lie in at minimum warning users, or better yet somehow ‘prohibiting’ users, from combining the use of SSRI’s and first person shooter video games. It’s no different than the very prominent warnings about not combining prescription pain killers and alcohol. (e.g. if you do it, you or others around you may be injured or killed!).

With as little as is known about how SSRI’s function inside the brain, it seems to me there’s a pretty credible case to be made for at least making a concerted effort to understand what outside stimuli (i.e. video games, etc) cause adverse reactions to these drugs. Seems like a sensible course of action to me.

Just two pennies worth from a newby.

Interesting thoughts, and certainly something that's worth some study! I would think someone with a child with mental issues would be wise to avoid anything too stressful in the first place, drugs or no drugs. Then, I don't allow my younger kids to play very violent games, or watch excess violence on TV, either.

Welcome to the site, btw, and love the avatar.

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join