It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Six guilty in Pitcairn sex trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Five men including the island's mayor Steve Christian have been convicted of a string of sex attacks on the remote Pacific island of Pitcairn, They faced dozens of charges including rape, indecent assault on girls as young as 12 years old.

BBC NEWS

The verdicts were announced by judges sent from New Zealand for the trial. The island's population is just 47.

A sixth man had earlier pleaded guilty. Sentencing is scheduled for later this week and an appeal is expected.

A seventh man was cleared at the trial.

The eight women who testified in the trial and who now live in New Zealand had welcomed the verdict, TV New Zealand quoted a police officer as saying

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related News Links
Pitcairn Today
Pitcairn Island website
Pitcairn Island Government
Pitcairn facing a fragile future

Related Atsnn News
NEWS: Sex at 12 is tradition

"A group of women on Pitcairn Island in the South Pacific are standing by their men, who face underage sex charges, saying having sex at age 12 is a tradition dating back to 18th century mutineers who settled on the island. Villagers are worried if the men are convicted, they could lose use of longboats, vital to the island's existence. I think they don't stand a chance." Mackiller

Looks like it not going tobe any longer how can anyone miss treat a child like that. I for one am very glad that these people have been stopped for abuseing children.

[edit on 25/10/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The Pitcairn Island's rape trials have caused much controversy the world over. Many issues have have been raised over these trials, the legalities of the trials, the fairness and most of all where is justice on these issues.

This particular case will be argued from all angles for eternity with no sides gaining ground. There are differences in each society and so called laws. For one person to 'have their say' on these issues will bring back a flurry of people both disagreeing and agreeing according to the social laws of the individual's social stamping, weighing up the case in his or her mind.
www.southburnett.net...

[edit on 28-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Pitcairn Islands Council Elections
December 2004

The Pitcairn islander have shrugged off the controversy of the past two years and gone to the polls to vote and elect new office bearers to take them through the next few years of changes. Jay Warren was elected after receiving the most votes for the mayoral position by the islanders.

The previous Mayor and island leader Steve Christian did not stand as a candidate in this current election but his family is proudly represented by his newly elected wife Olive Christian, as island councilor.
Meralda Warren, the well loved former policewoman for the islanders has also been elected to the office of island concillor, along with Carol Warren and Lea Brown. Carol Warren appeared on many media broadcasts during the rape trials and was staunch in her defence of the island men and all the island families involved.
Mike Warren another popular and dignified member of the small communitywas elected to the position of Chairman.

Voting and Elected Officers as follows.

Island Mayor: Jay Warren
Island Chairman: Mike Warren
Island Councilors: Meralda Warren, Olive Christian, Carol Warren,
Lea Brown

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Umm...I got edited above. I do know the copyright laws but that article was written by myself and I am not about to sue myself for breach of copyright.

Sorry I should have made it clearer.

top topics

join