It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 96
<< 93  94  95    97  98  99 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Dumb thought of the day maybe, but I keep wondering whether the large amount of fault lines as found in California would act to dissipate overall damage in the state, even though I realize one quake can stimulate another. Any learned opinions appreciated.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Dumb thought of the day maybe, but I keep wondering whether the large amount of fault lines as found in California would act to dissipate overall damage in the state, even though I realize one quake can stimulate another. Any learned opinions appreciated.
IMHO,I don't know if an earthquake can stimulate another on long term.

But as a sequence of released energy on short time period,yes,is happening,although in California I didn't saw that as earthquake stimulus,by looking to the history of the area.

I don't think that the number of fault lines can give a hint to the intensity,timing,or numbers.

Because earthquakes are atipical regarding those characteristics,but they can be of certain type for an area given the known history of that area.

In the same time the number of fault lines can give a higher or a lower frequence in numbers and magnitude,but it is very hard to demonstrate that.

Probably because the number of factors involved are too many(see the Loma Prieta earthquake).

But that is just IMHO.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Technical Fault? or Mag 9.0 Karori, NZ

there was a similar graph at approx same time plus one day last year 31.05.201 LISS SNZO
edit on 30-5-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Technical Fault? or Mag 9.0 Karori, NZ
9.1 to 9.9 offshore California?

With 27 feet wall wave?

Or just....technical fault.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Basically at around 19:00 UTC, or 8am in Kapitistan, there was a regular rhythmic disturbance picked up at the seismo which threw it right of it's breakfast. You would not happen to know anything about a regular rhythmic motion in the morning would you Muzzy?

This motion lasted for around 40 minutes, however the signal continued in a different form - looks like laboured breathing maybe - past midnight UTC, or 1pm in Kapitistan. The seismo displays have not recovered yet.

With a filter applied - as in the LISS SNZO (Click any of these for a larger image)

Allowing the program to determine the counts. You can see the regular up and down on about a one minute cycle. ETA To give you an idea of the strength of this and how it is swamping the seismogram note that the counts scale on the filtered one is 200,000. Taking the filter off the count jumps to 45,098,867 - the more counts the more powerful the signal. What ever caused the signal it is 225 times stronger than a normal signal.

And then today

When the LISS display gets to 05:40 UTC today as the start point then the display will return to normal.

Since there was the same signal a year ago maybe it is some sort of annual test? BTW last year was leap year was it not. That might explain the day difference.

edit on 30/5/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
USGS went off the deep end!
Last updated 1969-12-30!
Time showing 7:53:55 UTC!!!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Ottawa is still perking!

www.ldeo.columbia.edu...

WOQ

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Has anyone done any studies to find out which regions are seizmically linked or even IF they are linked in any way?

So for example, if an event happened in Alaska, then whether the earth has a "resonant point" which maybe anywhere but which causes a similar but smaller sympathy quake somewhere else? Dont know what amount of time it would take for these (if they exist) sympathy quakes to occur. It may be a whacky idea but it may just have some basis in fact - who knows what the Earth gets up to?

Opinions anyone?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Interesting timing for your question, since I read a paper out of the University of Alaska this morning by Tape et al. discussing dynamic triggering of an earthquake. In this case, the Love waves from the 11 April 2012 Mw 8.6 Sumatra quake are shown to have initiated nucleation (which ramped up exponentially for 24s) before triggering the Mw 3.9 Nenana, Alaska EQ.
[The wavelength of these surface waves was 580 km--that is one long wave! Amplitudes in Alaska were 4 centimeters]

I don't think there are any areas that are "linked", such as southern California and Turkey, for example. It has more to do with the waves from one earthquake hitting a distant fault at the proper angle, and the 2nd fault probably needs to be near it's critical failure point.

At least that is how I understand it.

I found this USGS site today and wanted to share. It is similar to RSOE, minus many of alerts such as flu outbreaks, etc.
Natural Hazards Support System

It shows earthquakes, floods, wildfires, tornadoes, NEXRAD radar to track storm systems, etc. I really like the information when you click on any of the symbols on the map--it will take you to individual flood gages, the National Interagency Fire Center, etc. Check it out.

edit on 5/30/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Wasn't me

Yeah because it was at the same time as last year (taking the leap year into account) it must be a test or a re-calibration.
Still has lines right now, will check again after 6:00pm NZST and see if you are right

EDIT: yup you were spot on, now 5:40pm, vertical lines are gone

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 31-5-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Hmmm.....good old USGS.
It won't let me save it!
Says, access denied!
'Useless' must have put me on a _ _ _ _ list!!!

WOQ

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

I've put LDEO back on, although I overwrote the original page with that NEIC stuff, I still had the kmz files so was just a matter of writing the mps back in order.
The address is still different though, LDEO-3, as Wordpress won't replace the original.
Looks the same though.
eqarchives.wordpress.com...

up to date as well.

Dumped the NEIC, you can get that through USGS, and probably get more events there too.
I recall some critsizm last year when I did USGS on my blog, some said why rehash waht is already done by them.
Ha!, now that they have totally trashed their own site with stuff people don't want, there might be a call for a "mirror" that goes back more than 30 days???
Thanks for the 10 views anyway

edit on 31-5-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine
I don't think there are any areas that are "linked", such as southern California and Turkey, for example. It has more to do with the waves from one earthquake hitting a distant fault at the proper angle, and the 2nd fault probably needs to be near it's critical failure point.

I am sure that the Earth is probably similar to the Moon in that an impact at one point would reverberate around like pebbles in a pond. NASA said that they could hear the Moon reverberating like a bell/gong when they smashed one of the rocket boosters into the Moon a while ago.

If it could be shown that some eqs in one region precede/follow others in another - by a significant above-probablity chance, then there may be a correllation beyond just simple Love waves perhaps. Of course, it would not be popular theory because it could not be explained. Waves and wave theory is something which we are all currently comfortable with and accept as science. If the Earth had resonant points, then what then?

What are the chances of earthquakes in one region following those from another I wonder? For example, in my play database there are over 300 eqs for Oklahoma in the last few years and it would be interesting to see if, for each one, there were the same follow-on regions triggered within a given time window (36 hours?).

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Seismic waves do reverberate/bounce around the earth; for days after the largest quakes. It sounds like you have laid out your next project, qmantoo.

This is an odd location--in the middle of the Pacific plate with no obvious fault lines more hundreds of kms.

Magnitude 5.3 - South Pacific Ocean

Location in Google Maps
  • Date-Time: Friday, May 31, 2013 @ 11:11:09 UTC
  • Earthquake location: 6.474°S, 122.120°W,
  • Earthquake depth: 10.0 km
  • Distances:
    1899km (1179mi) E of Atuona, French Polynesia
    3214km (1997mi) ENE of Mahina, French Polynesia
    3219km (2000mi) ENE of Pirae, French Polynesia
    3223km (2002mi) ENE of Papeete, French Polynesia
    3227km (2005mi) ENE of Faaa, French Polynesia
  • Event ID: usb000haaz