It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 95
<< 92  93  94    96  97  98 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Crashed me pewtah! Anyway I have the KML files and I shall stitch them together. I will leave the ANSS one in tact (I normally make the icons very small) as it is useful to be able to turn off various magnitudes.

This will run from 1898 but I suspect that most data will be 1964 onwards as usual in ANSS.

The criteria I used

The results

It will take me a while to stitch all 4 files together into one so back in an hour or so. (May be sooner but...)

Here is the KMZ file

NMSZ-Historic-Earthquakes.kmz

There are ~6000 quakes in that file so I am not going through each one to turn it off on initial opening!!

edit on 25/5/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Much appreciated!
Getting woke up several times last night / early morning likely did nothing for my peace of mind. I'm watching that swarm west of YS, the one in Cali near the lake/dam and now this one too.

Being able to see how the swarms in Arkansas land in the historical quake map, as they come in should give me a better perspective as to what is happening.

M.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Did not notice you had posted.

Link to KMZ file in my post above.

Click for a slightly larger image

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by aLLeKs

I was sitting in the kitchen and an empty milk package fell over. the scissors which are hanging on the wall were moving and the coffee was moving.

My parents said I am crazy, but now I found the reason. so apparently the quake was at 9:44 and I saw all the things at arround 10 + - 10 minutes... so should be possible with the wave travelling.

I am confused. The quake was at 05:44 UTC. As far as I am aware Germany is 2 hrs ahead in summer so that makes it 07:44 AM in Germany. Kamchatka, the peninsula, is I think on the ANAT time zone which is, like New Zealand UTC +12, but the sea around there is UTC +10 which is what USGS reported. Local reports from the land should be +12.

dreamfox reported the quake as 22:44

Sea of Okhotsk
2013-05-23 22:44:48-07:00619.0 km deep

That however was US west coast time if that is the case (not a useful time to post BTW. I venture to suggest that posts here should always be in UTC) which is maybe where the confusion arises?

Basically if you felt the world wobble at 09:44 in Germany, which would be 07:44 UTC, then it was not because of the Russian quake IMHO. Maybe your parents were right?

Maybe the ground was shaking as Angela Merkel's trucks rolled past bring in the Euros/Gold/Booty from the other EU countries, or perhaps she was stamping her foot at Germany losing the Eurovision song contest?

oh yes you are right... I thought I read 7:44 UTC somewhere... ok. Then I have no idea what it was

edit: I just looked... USGS shows 7:44 UTC + 2 for me
so I already had it in my time, but added 2 additional hours.
edit on 25-5-2013 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I am sure they have sneaked a couple of extra mag 6 in here

Prov,Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
usgs,2013-05-24 14:56:31, 52.221, 151.515, 6.8, 623.0, Sea Of Okhotsk [T]
usgs,2013-05-24 05:44:49, 54.873, 153.280, 8.3, 608.9, Sea Of Okhotsk [F][T]
usgs,2013-05-21 05:43:21, 52.306, 159.985, 6.0, 36.6, 122Km Se Of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy. Russia
usgs,2013-05-21 04:59:37, 52.325, 160.023, 6.0, 37.1, 122Km Se Of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy. Russia
usgs,2013-05-21 01:55:05, 52.469, 160.486, 6.0, 15.1, 139Km Ese Of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy. Russia [F]

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Moshpet

Did not notice you had posted.

Link to KMZ file in my post above.

Thank you very much Puterman!
Didn't intend for it to crash your pc though.

Looking at it currently

ATA:
Looking at the cululative energy chart, I know it is too soon to posit a real pattern, but well. Does it seem odd that there is a low day, high day, then a low, and then a much higher high?

If the 20th is the start of the sequence
21 low
22 high
23 low
24 high
25 low
26th total should be higher than the 24th.

I know I am tired, and my thought processes may be wandering.

M.

edit on 26-5-2013 by Moshpet because: Brain drop.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
27km N of Bulung'ur, Uzbekistan
2013-05-25 23:08:17-07:0026.7 km deep

Semi big but not too bad.
edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I see they dropped it to 5.8 and EMSC got left out in the cold still at 6.0.

Well it is Sunday so I guess no one took a look at it yet?

Magnitude mb 6.0
Region EASTERN UZBEKISTAN
Date time 2013-05-26 06:08:15.0 UTC
Location 40.13 N ; 67.46 E
Depth 10 km
Distances 194 km SW of Tashkent, Uzbekistan / pop: 1,978,028 / local time: 11:08:15.0 2013-05-26
32 km W of Jizzax, Uzbekistan / pop: 152,642 / local time: 11:08:15.0 2013-05-26
Global view
Source parameters reviewed by a seismologist

............despite what it says. I mean 6 mb??? That is ~ 6.2 Mw compared to USGS and GFZ @ 5.8 Mw

Maybe the cleaners pressed some buttons?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
PM, regarding the audio file you shared for the Okhotsk 8.3, where does one get that data? Is it something that needs to be converted, or is it available as is? I'd love to have my own little folder of EQ sounds to listen to, but I have no idea how to get any at the moment.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
reply to post by PuterMan

I think its time to put an F in front of that USGS. (excuse the French)
Theoretical P wave Travel Times are gone again, and so is Phase Data on each event.
Still haven't fixed the TT calculator either.
grrr

Theoretical P wave Travel Times are back

In fact apparently they were never gone, they just moved to a new place (must have missed the memo, if there was one.

USGS should at least put a page out telling everyone where stuff has shifted to.

I appreciate the link someone posted to the Associated Arrival Times through the Technical/Contributed Solutions Menu, but thats not much use as SNZO rarely shows on the list.

What I wanted was under Downloads below Technical on the same Menu
here for example on M4.7 - 238km SSW of Bengkulu, Indonesia 2013-05-27 01:11:10 UTC
Theoretical P-Wave Travel Times Table

thats what I want

for that one
City, Distance(degrees) , Travel Time(min:secs), Arrival TimeUTC, Phase
Wellington, New Zealand 73.46 11:29.9 1:22:39.9 P

the list used to be on the same page as the map, but now the map has its own url (GIF)

now to get those pesky S and LR wave arrival times. Which help ID eq events showing on LISS SNZO's graph but not listed on USGS.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Mag 7, Kapitistan, NZ

Not Felt

Headlines a bit dramatic, but its my back yard and there's been some movement
Article on Geonet, the morning newspaper and the radio today

To the west of Wellington, the equivalent of a magnitude 7 earthquake is happening right now, 40 km below ground. This would be Wellington’s largest earthquake in 150 years, yet nothing is felt at the surface......read more here

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
While I was typing that one above we actually had one

3.9, I felt/heard it as an incoming heavy truck, then a little bit of shaking.

Public ID 2013p397562
Universal Time May 28 2013 at 2:21:27
NZ Standard Time Tuesday, May 28 2013 at 2:21:27 pm
Latitude, Longitude -40.99, 174.66
Intensity ? moderate
Focal Depth 5 km
Magnitude 3.9
Location 30 km west of Paraparaumu
www.geonet.org.nz...

been a long time since we felt one here.
Temp is 7.1 Celcius, feels like -3, Antarctica just arrived at our shores. Snow in the South ISland.

edit on 27-5-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

ETA: Downgraded on review to 3.7

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
While I was at home for the day because of the weather I was looking for a replacement Earthquake Arrival Time Calculator.
Didn't find anything ,but found this gem.

LDEO Archives back to 1999
woohoo
that is something I knew they had to have somewhere but was never able to find it. It was a tab on their heli-plot page that I never noticed before.
Now I can refurbish my LDEO maps with the quakes I missed.

Even has real depths
, not that default 33km that is on the main LDEO page.
I probably won't map the events that are supplied to LDEO by other Networks, gets too messy.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Arkansas quake swarms rattle nerves, raise questions

(CNN) -- Three dozen earthquakes over the past week in central Arkansas shook shelves, rattled nerves and prompted speculation about their cause.

"Are they being being triggered or are they natural? That's something we don't know," Arkansas Geological Survey scientist Scott Ausbrook said Sunday.

The chances of so many temblors in the region in such a short time are "Powerball kind of odds," Ausbrook said. "What was unusual was to have four different areas in the state to be active in the same week."

More than two dozen quakes recorded since Wednesday have been centered north of Morrilton, Arkansas. The strongest, on Wednesday and Thursday nights, had reported magnitudes of 3.5 and 3.4

Source

Map of eq for the area
edit on 27-5-2013 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

You truly must of been looked upon with skepticism, not embracing hockey,in Canada, lol. I love the hockey, but my sleep problem stems from tipping into the horizontal position on the sofa--I'm asleep within minutes no matter what is being broadcast.

It's so interesting that different subduction zones have such varied "schedules" of slow-slip. Yours, every 5 years, but it lasts for months and months, and Cascadia it's more frequent, but shorter lived.

edit on 5/28/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/28/2013 by Olivine because: still not awake

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
PM, regarding the audio file you shared for the Okhotsk 8.3, where does one get that data? Is it something that needs to be converted, or is it available as is? I'd love to have my own little folder of EQ sounds to listen to, but I have no idea how to get any at the moment.

The data is SAC files, obtainable either using GEE or Vase 2.9, or from Wilber II and then translated into a WAV file using my QVS Data program. That leaves you with a file you can play, but usually it needs some work in Audacity (free)

You can also obtain SAC files of events back to 2005 from IRIS Seismology in Schools. These are waveforms that have been recorded by schools in the US, UK and Ireland and a few other places. They have access to a cut-down version of my QVSData program called QVSSIS, or QVS seismology in schools. Basically this just has the conversion facility. I can provide a link for this if people wish.

For the QVSData program please wait a while as it is under beta and the old one is no longer available.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Small earthquake hits north Wales

A tremor measuring 3.8 in magnitude has hit north Wales in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
The tremor centred on the Llyn peninsula in Gwynedd.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) said the centre point was between the seaside towns of Aberdaron and Nefyn. Source BBC

Here is the link to the BBC News Site Article www.bbc.co.uk...

Only a small one but could possibly be of interest.

LongShoreDrift
edit on 29-5-2013 by LongShoreDrift because: Forgot something.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

False Alarm.
Puterman did some cross referencing and it turns out those files are NEIC/USGS's not LDEO's

I went ahead and plotted the data anyway for 2013.
new page available QED-NEIC

I messed up when doing that and replaced my old LDEO page with the new stuff.

I'll bring back LDEO at the weekend.

Clicking on the LDEO link in my signature will bring up
Error 404 - Not Found
until then
edit on 29-5-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I wanted to share the Global Motion Visualization (GMV) for the M 8.2 Sea of Okhotsk quake from May 24th. GMV movie
This shows the 3-component ground motion picked up by the Transportable Array in the United States over 3 hours time.

You can find other GMV's for large earthquakes on this page.

And for those of you keen on tremor of various types, have you checked out the tremor page from the Mount Erebus Volcano Observatory?
It has really good examples, from both volcano-tectonic and ice sources: good for comparing to other glacier clad volcanoes such as Rainier.

edit on 5/29/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
seems to be a lot of movement in California again today. I see a little rise in Alaska also. This makes me wonder about mid Canada as a future bigger quake. They had a bigger one there a while back so the resent increase in California could actually be occuring because of those Canadian quakes coupled with the Russian quake recently.

I guess it is hard to predict quakes, especially with a couple of volcanoes active at the same time. I'd guess that there will be a 7.0 somewhere above Washington in the near future though. I don't even have faith in my own predictions though

top topics

<< 92  93  94    96  97  98 >>

join