It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 93
<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

I am in the area and i do hope for a bigger one because I didn't feel it. I am very distraught over this. People farther from the epicenter have posted on ATS that they felt it. it's not fair *pouts like a child*

I love earthquakes however this one does concern me a little due to the fact that this is most likely volcanic activity.
edit on 24-5-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I love earthquakes however this one does concern me a little due to the fact that this is most likely volcanic activity.
I guess it's just the natural mechanical movement of the earth.

"An earthquake is the natural mechanical movement of the earth either whether tectonic plates are involved or or not."

Even if a bigger one will occur,let's say a 6+,I am sure that because of the zone type nothing will happen in terms of damage and or casualties.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
:headdesk :headdesk: :headdesk: Sonofab**ch, this is what I get for turning off GEE & deciding to hibernate in a video game half the night -- I miss all the fun I've been hoping to see myself for days on end. I think to myself "Meh, nothing's going to pop off over around Kamchatka, I might as well go play a game instead for a change." Well played, Mother Earth, well played. :headdesk:

At least it was deep enough to not be much of a worry for tsunamis. Talk about a blessing!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Here you are. Have a listen to it instead. Taken from BORG on Iceland(BH2 channel 20 sps) Speeded up 400 times.

Magnitude 8.3 Sea of Okhotsk.mp3

It is zipped as we are not allowed to link to files that start playing immediately. T & C and all that.

@calstorm: Never mind. There is a Mag 9 for Cascadia coming down the tracks, or an 8.5 for the southern end, so if that arrives in your lifetime you WILL feel that one!!

Me not felt earthquake eva! (As most of you know)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Me not felt earthquake eva! (As most of you know)
I didn't knew that.

Well,rumors are saying that the real headquarters of USGS are somewhere 1000 feet below Earth situated on a tectonic fault,to feel every earthquake in the world.

In side that underground building with many levels,they have their secret offices,

They have:

Shaking chairs.

Shaking desks with shaking computers.

Oh and they listen to Shakin' Stevens all the time,as a part of their job.

This is why sometimes it is hard for them to post an earthquake,or downgrading one because of shaking keyboard.

edit on 24-5-2013 by piequal3because14 because: desks

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I'm bummed, I missed all the action, too. Fell asleep watching the hockey game.

Here is my rather late contribution to the Lake Almanor sequence. First, here is station NC.LSI.SHZ found on the Lassen monitoring page--only about 40 kms NW of the activity.
(click for jumbo version)

This is the aftershock probability report for the Mag 5.7 mainshock.

ETA: This is interesting. I had posted a screenshot yesterday in the Cascadia thread showing the tremor that had been occurring over the past 2 weeks in north central California. You can see it was well to the west of the Lake Almanor area.
files.abovetopsecret.com...

Now, if you go to the Real-time tremor map and click on the past 12 hours, you can see that tremor has spread east under the Lake Almanor area.
This tremor is much deeper than the depths of the earthquakes taking place there.

What is curious is that the 1st detected tremor happened at 18:02:30 PDT local time--about 2-1/2 hours before the mag 5.7 at 20:47:08 local time. Then it goes quiet until another deep tremor at 20:42:30 local--4.5 minutes before the big quake, and only 10 km from the epicenter.

All the rest of the that tremor took place afterward.
Tremor is rarely picked up that far east in California, so if we see it again, it could be hinting that a crustal event is forthcoming

edit on 5/24/2013 by Olivine because: add an observation

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by muzzy

Of course it has happened before! It happens on ATS every time there is a large earthquake.

The Map with Mag 5s added. Click for slightly larger image

Ha good one!, you get the same with the "is this a precursor to a bigger one" as well, usually from non-regulars.

On that map, because the dots are based in depth (and mag by size) you can see the classic subduction zone to back arc basin results where they get deeper the further away from the subduction zone, like the Marianas, Tonga-Kermadec, S. Scotia, Sea of Japan, N. Fiji, Tyrrhenian Sea etc,
good map of Back Arc Basins here
I have always wondered why the Aleutians don't exhibit the same form, WIki say it is an extinct BAB but the subduction zone is still VERY active.

Note that Kamchtka series of "foreshocks" was in the same spot as the 1841 Mag 8.4 and the 1952 Mag 9
interactive map (draft map for my "history" part of Kamchatka post on eqarchives, more to be added yet)

edit on 24-5-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Ya know I've never ever been able to watch an entire Hockey match to the end, guaranteed better results than a sleeping pill

When I lived in Canada my friends thought there was something seriously wrong with me, them Canuks being fanatical about Hockey.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This one is a bit farther south than the 8.3

M6.8 - Sea of Okhotsk
2013-05-24 14:56:31 UTC

Event Time

2013-05-24 14:56:31 UTC
2013-05-25 00:56:31 UTC+10:00 at epicenter
2013-05-24 09:56:31 UTC-05:00 system time

Location 52.222°N 151.515°E depth=623.0km (387.1mi)

USGS

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I've been looking around for a place that has everything I need.
Check this out:

anf.ucsd.edu...

SOURCE: EarthScope ANF

You'll have to shove it around a bit, or minimize it.
I can't persuade it to hold still to post the link!

I thought what the heck is going on in the Caribbean & Canada???
Then I noticed that some of the Caribbean ones were only a few seconds apart.
Apparently the same event? The list is in mb, ml, mw even md!
But I don't find a lot of the latest ones anywhere else yet! Reliability???

It's probably been brought up here before, but I never worried about it before, I had USGS!!!
Looks like Christmas morning with all the big, red boxes!
Somebody might pee their knickers seeing all those big ones!!!
WOQ

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

Thank you for the post and the great link , I think you've given me my new EQ resting spot

USGS just doesn't interest me any longer.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

Be careful with that one, been discussed before has many false readings
eg

Latitude 20.8533
Longitude -80.9298
Magnitude 6.2 mb
Depth 15 km
UTC Time 15:28:58 May 24th, 2013 UTC
Location Cuba Region, Caribbean Loop
Author tele

Latitude 57.3739
Longitude -117.0884
Magnitude 5.9 mb
Depth 15 km
UTC Time 15:29:32 May 24th, 2013 UTC
Location Alberta, Canada, Eastern Alaska To Vancouver Island
Author tele

didn't happen

seems if you ignore "tele" readings then it might be accurate, but I can't see anywhere you can set the map to do that

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
2013 Mag 7+ interactive map updated

if you click on the header it will take you to the Mag8+ "sticky" post, that has also been updated, sorry if anyone had it as a bookmark, the url address has had to change to bring it into 2013.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Thanks!
I figured when they had quakes that none of the other sites had, something was fishy!!!
Having to deal with all the different magnitude types is a turn off for me too!
WOQ

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This seems like a bit of a clustering with at least two larger quakes. And the California ones to excite.
I notice we're looking at a full moon and some other stuff in the sky.
I notice the California quakes are near a lake. (ducks are funny to look at when they're running)
It's all volcanic and water to me. I think the moon will make the next month or so very interesting.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

Hi!
It's nice looking, but not too reliable it seems.
Was going to make a wise crack here,
but I don't want to get bleeped for being off topic!

The best thing to do is, everybody that hates the new format,
complain to USGS until they get sick of us & dread checking the e-mails!!!
Hopefully the squeaky wheel thing will work!
Assuming happy people are less likely to comment that is!
WOQ

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Note that Kamchtka series of "foreshocks" was in the same spot as the 1841 Mag 8.4 and the 1952 Mag 9

Thanks for that. I suspected this might be the case. Nothing to look at for a century or so then.

My stress chart level was at 8.44 when I did it late 2012. I guess it will be near zero now.

I have always wondered why the Aleutians don't exhibit the same form, WIki say it is an extinct BAB but the subduction zone is still VERY active.

BTW, about the subduction zone/BAB for the Aleutians? Don't believe everything in Wiki!. It is there. It just is tighter meshed and does not exceed 300km depth but you can clearly see the zones

Click for the larger image

edit on 24/5/2013 by PuterMan because: To add an image.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
wow this big quake in russia, I could not feel it, but I could still see it in Germany!!!!

I was sitting in the kitchen and an empty milk package fell over. the scissors which are hanging on the wall were moving and the coffee was moving.

My parents said I am crazy, but now I found the reason. so apparently the quake was at 9:44 and I saw all the things at arround 10 + - 10 minutes... so should be possible with the wave travelling.

I am not crazy
thanks
edit on 24-5-2013 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

That is what I was
at earlier, EMSC felt reports from Moscow, 6 1/2 thousand miles away, must be something to do with the deepness.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
actually I really did not feel it, but I could see the things shaking... for a moment I thought I am seeing thing until I saw the quake. But I mean Germany is really far away from that quake

<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join