It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 83
<< 80  81  82    84  85  86 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I just wanted to post an update concerning the small swarm of shallow earthquakes near Lakeview, Oregon.

First, the swarm seems to have subsided.
Second, according to the CVO weekly update the activity was not volcanic.

A cluster of small earthquakes that occurred yesterday near Lakeview, Oregon, is associated with range-front-faulting and is unrelated to volcanic activity.

All is quiet again.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Cheers for the link, I went to the Yellowstone tab and had a look, then found the search page, you can get archived reports of past months

That may be handy for use on my Yellowstone page, both to check against the data I have and also to add some observations.
I get quite a few hits on that page, so people must be lost for info. about YS. I didn't know that page existed myself.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

As Muzzy said, I probably was asleep so his response is good. I would just say however that I am not knocking E3D and if you have a paid version the vendor should get it right for you. It is a very good visual aid, even if it does make my PC overheat!!

My program is all I use actually. I never look at any of the lists at all! I have all I need in the program, it updates every 5 minutes and records revisions and deletions for at minimum 7 days and in the Pro version for 30 days for USGS.

I guess it depends what you are looking for really.

The three main site are USGS, EMSC and GFZ Potsdam but as Muzzy said in the US at least the State geological units have more local details. USGS goes down to 4.5 worldwide (some of the time) and 1 in the US and EMSC likewise down to 4 (some of the time) and down to 2.0 in Europe and the South American countries that it currently covers. You never see much on Potsdam under 4.5 generally. They have the odd 2s and 3s in Europe occasionally.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
further to post by muzzy

Had a look through that, looks like the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) observations only go back to Dec 2006. But thats OK, that is further back than my maps go.
Looks like I'll need to map and graph below mag 1.0 though, otherwise the comments don't make sense.
I've avoided

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You don't see many Kiwis on the ATS Quake Watch now, all the drama over?

I have to say its been pretty quiet here for the last 5 months, all the 5's have been out offshore at the Kermadec Is. this year, except for 1 in the Taranaki Bight on the 20th January UTC.

So they are probably not at all concerned that Geonet has deleted a ton load of web pages, just like USGS does.

Since that SeisComp3 system came in in Sept 2012 they have stopped doing the list of places where Felt Reports were from, now its an interactive map with little icons for each place, all pretty useless when you are trying to archive stuff.
I'm going back and updating 2009 with the latest reviewed data, and went to get the Felt Reports pages that luckily are still there lists.geonet.org.nz...
but they are not much help, "Felt in Gisborne" or "Possibly felt in Tauranga" are pretty vague and I know for sure there was more detail back then on the linked pages. The links don't work now.
Luckily back then even though I was yet to discover interactive i-framing maps I did put a few lines of text on the static image maps I was doing, so there are some additional details I can add.

It makes me think how much more important that it is someone saves all this information somewhere. This tendency to dump stuff after 7days, 30 days or even 5 years doesn't do justice to the people who did the work ( the geologists) or to future generations who might have little else to do than surf on their i-phones and read about historic NZ earthquakes

Having said all that, I have copied and saved the entire 7 years worth of Yellowstone observations text off that site that Olivine posted, before they start deleting stuff !

edit on 5-5-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

I note that on that CVO site various pages 404 for alerts data

www.ess.washington.edu...

These are the monitoring pages for seismicity.

The CVO page loads as does Hawaii, but the other two do not. Dontcha just love IT nerds! (of course I do, I am one)

Having said all that, I have copied and saved the entire 7 years worth of Yellowstone observations text off that site that Olivine posted, before they start deleting stuff !

And don't forget there is that most excellent of all Yellowstone resources - A Study In Yellow (Maintained by an ATS member)

edit on 5/5/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
reply to post by Olivine

Cheers for the link, I went to the Yellowstone tab and had a look, then found the search page, you can get archived reports of past months

I'm glad to be able to help, Sir.

Originally posted by PuterMan
I note that on that CVO site various pages 404 for alerts data
www.ess.washington.edu...
These are the monitoring pages for seismicity.

The CVO page loads as does Hawaii, but the other two do not. Dontcha just love IT nerds! (of course I do, I am one)

Loads of links still don't function from when the PNSN upgraded their website (probably more than a year ago). Couple that with the revamp the Volcano Hazards Program did with each observatory's website, and the broken links and old pages with lots of 404's are out of control.
Example:
Cascades Volcano Observatory link to Newberry Volcano
Cascades Volcano Observatory link to Crater Lake

I have hope the data will reliably be found all in one place, eventually.

edit on 5/5/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Is it just me or are we seismogram-less (IRIS BUD type)?

I have not been able to get anything since last night and all my auto downloads of the Cascades seismograms, the Bayou Corne seismograms and the Irish network seismograms (pages of flat lines
) have failed.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I had forgotten about that isthisthingon, I read about it back in April 2010 when I first came on ATS, read about 50 pages of the whats going on at Yellowstone Thread and gave up.
My recent interest was sparked by watching a few documentaries about YS on TV.
Who does that isthisthingon?, what a great piece of archiving work, you have to admire how much effort has gone into that, love the maps and cross sections, and even has csv files available too.
Anything I do about YS (interactive maps, graphs, text etc) has to be in addition to what has been done on that site, I wouldn't even attempt to compete with the work that has been done there.

I should do something similar on our own supervolcano Taupo, I have done a bit on the fringes with Lake Rotoaira and Mt.Tihia but they are not interactive. Just reviewing Jan 2009 and I seen a wee swarm in the Lake which is one of many over the years, but I never created any pages on my blogs about the area, at the most a comment on the NZ Earthquakes daily posts.
With the Winter months coming on I should have more free time to do this stuff.
edit on 5-5-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Who does that isthisthingon?

I can't remember his ATS handle just at the moment, but he does pass through from time to time so maybe he will remind us. The info is buried deep the the YS thread but I am NOT going to attempt to find it!

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Isthisthingon is memeber Thought Provoker's little baby. I actually remembered who it was, but didn't want to post until I found The Page where he/she told me about it... knew it was right after I joined ATS and the Yellowstone Thread..

edit on 5-5-2013 by Anmarie96 because: Fix the linky

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

What could that mean? Is it because they want to cover up something that is expected or just some technical error at the moment?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Got some action in the Idaho area

This kinda got me creeped abit

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Yea 3 of them in about 15 minutes. 4.2. 3.6 and 2.7. One in yellowstone but others right by it.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

My maps showing a 2.7 (darn earthquake 3D) but your USGS one isn't so we will go with yours. Mine come through in real time if I'm on my ipad - sends a little note to top of screen. Won't try to figure it out. The other two are big enough. I am curious when this area had a 4 pointer last (right on border of yellowstone so I consider it too close to not count it as YS).

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Go to the yellowstone thread. There is discussion there.

Sorry I can't seem to get the address right to give you a link. "What go on at yellowstone"

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The Idaho quakes are real near Lava Hot Springs. There is a lot of geologic activity in this part of Idaho;
Some Links:
www.seidaho.org...

idaho.for91days.com...

imnh.isu.edu...

www.lavahotsprings.com...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Is it just me or are we seismogram-less (IRIS BUD type)?

I have not been able to get anything since last night and all my auto downloads of the Cascades seismograms, the Bayou Corne seismograms and the Irish network seismograms (pages of flat lines
) have failed.

Since Saturday, I can't get GEE to load any seismo stations. Whatever the common servers are between GEE & others, they seem to be down. Hopefully they're just doing something like hardware work, and it's not indicative of anything FUBAR

The Idaho quake, wow! I know that region is capable of tossing some good ones out, but the quakes are generally so mild that this one really got my attention. I wonder what kind of trickle-down effect this could have on nearby faults (probably not much, but I wonder anyway, kinetic energy rolls where it pleases)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I recalled reading a tidbit from TA last month about GEE. Maybe it has come to pass?

I don't know how to link directly to a post within a thread. But, here it is in a roundabout way

reply to post by TrueAmerican

edit on 6-5-2013 by NiteNGale2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Thanks AM. I knew someone would come up with it where the ancient old brain had failed.

new topics

top topics

<< 80  81  82    84  85  86 >>

join