It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 72
<< 69  70  71    73  74  75 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Secret message received.
I'm looking forward to it--keep me posted.

I fear this earthquake is going to have fatalities looking at the USGS pager estimates of 16,000 people exposed to "severe shaking". Not good.

GEE can't make a CORBA connection, UGH!

edit on 4/16/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

ETA:
EMSC have the quake as a mag 7.7 Mw, 50 km depth (fixed) and really poorly resolved location; 28.10 N, 62.08 E.

USGS has a 14.9 km error estimate on their lat, long of 28.056°N, 62.080°E. This could be closer to the higher population city.
edit on 4/16/2013 by Olivine because: add a link

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The Iran quake at the depth will surely result in untold loss of life

April's turning out to be a very bad news month!

Some news filtering through RT

edit on 16-4-2013 by SpaceJockey1 because: Added news link

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iranian state TV says at least 40 people have been killed by a major earthquake near the Iran-Pakistan border.

Press TV gave no further details on the extent of damage in the sparsely populated areas. But the quake shook buildings as far away as New Delhi and Gulf cities of Dubai and Bahrain.

Iran's seismological center said the 7.5 magnitude earthquake was centered near Saravan, a sparsely populated area about 48 kilometers (26 miles) from the Pakistani border. The U.S. Geological Survey put the preliminary magnitude at 7.8 and at a depth of 15.2 kilometers (nine miles).

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

I believe that the 40 dead relates to the previous weeks quake, not this one...it just wasn't made clear in the way the news has been written.

Last Tuesday Iran endured a strong earthquake that struck near Bushehr. It killed almost 40 people and left hundreds injured.

Probably too early to get any 'dead' figures just yet.

edit on 16-4-2013 by SpaceJockey1 because: added more info

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
rt.com...

A powerful 7.8-magnitude quake has rocked Iran near the border with Pakistan just a week after another tremor hit the country.

11:53 GMT: The Iranian city of Saravan - near the center of the earthquake - has not been seriously damaged, Fars news agency reported.

Power and communications systems are down in most of Sistan and Baluchistan provinces in southeastern Iran, according to state TV.

11:48 GMT: Three helicopters and rescue crews have been sent to the area, Fars news agency reported.

11:41 GMT: At least 40 people have been confirmed dead due to the quake, Iran's Press TV reported.

11:37 GMT: The Russian company which built Iran's Bushehr nuclear power plant says the earthquake did not cause any damage to the facility.

11:35 GMT: An Iranian official says hundreds of deaths are expected, Reuters reports. "It was the biggest earthquake in Iran in 40 years and we are expecting hundreds of dead," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
11:20 GMT:
Indian television station NDTV said lights and equipment in its south Delhi studio shook for nearly a minute
Sky News reported.

11:05 GMT: In New Delhi, the quake shook buildings for more than 10 seconds and prompted people to flee into the streets.

11:04 GMT: Workers have been evacuated from buildings in Dubai.

11:03 GMT: Strong tremors were felt across the Persian Gulf states and as far as New Dehli.

11:00 GMT: The quake's magnitude has been lowered to 7.8.

10:57 GMT: The US Geological Service reports a 8.0 earthquake some 90km southeast of the city of Khash, the Sistan-Baluchistan province, one of Iran's poorest. The quake was at a depth of 15.2 kilometers (nine miles). Khash is a populous city, which had a population of over 56,000 residents in 2006

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

No, that 40 was from today. 30 occurred last week.

DUBAI, April 9 (Reuters) - A powerful earthquake struck close to Iran's only nuclear power station on Tuesday, killing 30 people and injuring 800 as it devastated small villages, state media reported.
edit on 16-4-2013 by kennvideo because: more info

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
That is very bad earthquake. Usually this strong earthquakes happen only on coast, but this was inland, and not very deep.

One thing is not right, where are the aftershakes? Also notice that region has been relatively quiet for some time. There was M6.5 on April 18th 1983, but no stronger quakes after that, until this day...

That place is in middle of what appears to be mountain range. Surely there is not much people living, but surrounding areas...

The town of Khash is very close by, and there seems to be mines and quarries too.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Tuesday April 16 2013, 11:48:22 UTC

17 minutes ago

Southern Iran: Location

3.6: M

19.0: D

CSEM-EMSC Feed

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Tuesday April 16 2013, 11:26:07 UTC

51 minutes ago

Sunda Strait, Indonesia: Location

5.2: M

68.0: D

CSEM-EMSC Feed

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Here is a LIVE site to post and read posts:

live.reuters.com...

#IranEarthquake epicentre was near Khash which has a population of 161,918 according to #Iran's 2006 census

last Iran Earthquake with such magnitude was in Tabas in 1978 killing over 15,000

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Yes, I am concerned. There are many I felt it reports here earthquake-report.com...

Yellowstone shook again today and I wonder whats going on there as well.

Iran seems to be doing ok... so far not that bad according to the link above. A few injured and no fatalities reported just yet. Good news.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Russia just had one:

Tuesday April 16 2013, 12:26:59 UTC

26 minutes ago

Caucasus region, Russia: Location

4.8: M

10.0: D

USGS Feed

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Five earthquakes in Oklahoma in last 24 hours. Probably lots of smaller ones, but since... frack it.

There is an injection well 2km from the first 3m frackquake.

newsok.com...

"if" the quakes are related to each other, then, the fault, whether a natural ancient fault, or, in my freakin' opinion, an artificial man-made fault, then, the big crack in the earth is twenty kilometers long.

keep pumpin' boys, i'm sure nothing much will happen... it's not like you're kill anyone if you set off a bigger one.

there is a big disaster coming.

but not according to this d- (robin behave yourself- language) not according to this person who has a right to their stupid opinion..

www.americanthinker.com...

Alfred e newman couldn't say it better.
what, me worry?

I'm adding the Oklahoma graph so you can see for yourself.

edit on 16-4-2013 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

The Oklahoma site does not have a working map anymore. Co in cid ence ?? But they still are reporting the smaller quakes. A rough count makes it eleven earthquakes- or "frackquakes" in the last 24 hours in Oklahoma.

www.okgeosurvey1.gov...

Time to reread this report.

www.popularmechanics.com...

Over the last couple days, my email box got some reports trying to minimize the earthquakes caused by fracking.
The industry is lying and telling us there's a difference between injecting and fracking. No there isn't.
But you must give them credit for trying their best to keep on keeping on.

I'll stop here. Because I'm obsessed with The Sopranos. I know I'm 6 years behind the times. But I finally got to see the whole thing from beginning to end. I watched it uninterrupted by any other story. I was totally engrossed. Now, I'm seeing rackets everywhere. Waste management.
In Ohio, a gentleman named Lupo

here- you read.

don't be afraid

www.timesonline.com... f9ed259b.html

www.businessweek.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.prweb.com...

who hit tony soprano?
the epa?

Sorry, to keep updating. It's not 11 frackquakes, it's 17 frackquakes. I guess they are still counting. There were 12 frackquakes yesterday.

Don't worry, eventually I'll shut up. It appears that Ben Lupo has been dumping stuff in the wrong places since the 1970's. Did you know that in Italian, lupo means wolf?

www.vindy.com...

www.vindy.com...

www.wfmj.com...

www.vindy.com...

tribune-chronicle.com...

www.natlawreview.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

IF I'm seeing the enlarged quake incidents map at all correctly . . .

There were TWO 7.8 quakes not that far apart in Iran and a THIRD 7.7 quake a bit further from those two.

There are 3 large orange circles accordingly on that map. Is that a bit unusual?

And if it's a mining region . . . I wonder about the fate of workers underground.

May God have mercy on all of good heart.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
gm folks. whats the verdict on the iran quake??? was it a real 1 or a test??? also i noticed a near 4 toward in the arctic circle. that is where we need to keep eyes open due to chani project for the next day or so.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Am curious MamaJ . . .

How's your intuition about such things? What's your track record on that score?

It sure seems like lots of spots are showing up with very significant quakes within a relatively short time span. Maybe it's just me.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz3

At 82 kms deep (51 miles) it is definitely a real, completely natural earthquake. Drill bits would melt that far down.

edit on 4/16/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/16/2013 by Olivine because: I can't spell

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by MamaJ

It sure seems like lots of spots are showing up with very significant quakes within a relatively short time span. Maybe it's just me.

It seems to happen that way, a section of the Tectonic Plates decides to move for a while and an area gets a series of quakes.
Take the South Island of New Zealand as an example, 2009 through 2011 we had a bunch of 7's and 6's, now since July 2012 it has been very quiet (no 6's anywhere in NZ region),
of course a few years is a very short time span in the big picture of the planets life, so 2 decent sized quakes in Iran within a few weeks is nothing unusual at all, no doubt the two quakes are being caused by the same thing, convergent plates (Arabian vs Eurasian)

Epicenter was 115km from Taftan volcano, you don't really think of volcanoes when you think of Iran do you.

IIEES have it at 7.7Ms Saravan Fault

I've got a few historic quakes above 5 in this spot, including this one 37km away from todays

Date/Time (UTC): 18/04/1983 10:58:52
Lat: 27.77 Long: 62.05
Magnitude: 6.7 Mw
Depth: 64
Catalog Source: EHB

and this more recent one in Pakistan just 177km away

Date/Time (UTC): 18/01/2011 20:23:21
Lat: 28.04 Long: 63.85
Magnitude: 7.0 ML
Depth: 44
Catalog Source: IIEES

here is the Iran history interactive map centred on Kash/Saravan
edit on 16-4-2013 by muzzy because: what the heck am I doing here at 4:30am???, oh well now I'm up might as well get my Iran page up to date to show both the 6 and 7 quakes, and maybe see if there was any sign of increased activity between them

edit on 16-4-2013 by muzzy because: phew! only had 44 minutes left to edit. Have updated the Iran Historic 5+ map to inclue todays 7.7Ms

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

BO, you have to remember that the Global Incident map draws data from more than one source. It is also not so fast at removing the AT (tsunami warning centre) entry which is usually the firt before the US entry is sent.

Because of that you can get 1 from AT and/or 1 from US and 1 from EMSC and on this occassion one from GeoScience Australia as I see they have added that feed.

Because each provider has different data for depth, lat and lon it seems that there are several quakes but no, this is all one.

Apparently GeoScience think it was on the surface!!

I only use the local Australian feed so as not to confuse the issue further than it already is. I hope they don't add GFZ into the mix as well!

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
further to post by muzzy

in case that 7.7Ms Iran link doesn't work for you (may be blocked for security reasons to unfriendly nations like the USA)

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

here are the details

Magnitude Ms:7.7
Date & Time (UTC) 2013/04/16 10:44:18.2
Date & Time (Local) 1392/01/27 15:14:18.2
Location Lat: 27.88 Lon: 62.03
Region Sistan va Baloochestan Province
Nearest Cities
12 km Gasht, Sistan va Baloochestan Province
41 km North-West of Kashkuk, Sistan va Baloochestan Province
52 km North-East of Paskuh, Sistan va Baloochestan Province
63 km South-West of Rutak, Sistan va Baloochestan Province
64 km North-West of Saravan, Sistan va Baloochestan Province
Depth 70.30 km
Agency IIEES
1) SARAVAN_F (Length: 263 km) , Distance to epicenter: 9 km
2) BIRG_F (Length: 75 km) , Distance to epicenter: 77 km
3) KENAR_F (Length: 158 km) , Distance to epicenter: 105 km
Number of Phases 14
RMS 0.3
Number of Stations 13
Error in Latitude 2.1 km
Error in Longitude 10.4 km
Error in Depth 15.2 km

and here is the April interactive map for Iran data by IIEES
edit on 16-4-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 69  70  71    73  74  75 >>

join