It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Tis not a problem

There is a thread about the miners....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Bad enough to experience a quake above ground let alone in the belly of the beast!
I just hope they get some light and can follow the rainbow out of there.
Rainbows
Jane
edit on 20-3-2013 by angelchemuel because: extra

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
so was the collapse the reason for the quake or was the quake, like they say in German TV, the reason for the collapse?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

Have a cuppa....have a wee thinkie ....

anyway, here's an update
"March 20, 2013 – POLAND - Emergency services in western Poland have rescued 19 miners who were trapped underground when a minor earthquake caused a tunnel to collapse. The workers at Rudna copper mine in Lower Silesia were trapped for about eight hours while rescuers dug through earth and rock to reach them. The mine is owned by Poland’s largest copper miner, KGHM, and has operated since 1969. A KGHM spokesman said the accident happened 600m (2,000ft) below ground. He said the rescue operation was “difficult because huge amounts of rocks have to be removed.” The tremor that caused the tunnel to collapse, lasted about 10 seconds, the BBC’s Adam Easton reports from the capital, Warsaw. One miner had a gash on his head, but all those who were rescued were fit enough to go home. The mine is some 400km (250 miles) south-west of Warsaw. Accidents there are relatively uncommon. Poland has a large number of mines, many of which are located in the industrialized Silesia region, which is rich in mineral and natural resources. –BBC"

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
OFF TOPIC
Just got back to normal here.
My other half decided to surprise me and buy me a new laptop, which is very nice of her, however the way she went about it has left us in total chaos. She wanted one for herself and in the lead up to getting it she tricked me into handing over mine so that the computer guy could download/transfer some of the programs I had on mine.
Surprise day comes along and 2 new laptops appear in the home office

OK cool, but where is my old one?
In pieces back at the workshop

All I had to start with on the new one was Windows 8

What a 'bleep' ing nightmare this new operating system is. I thought Vista was bad!
Its loaded full of junk you will never use, riddled with advertising you can't get rid of and everything is different, especially the Start menu.
Our computer guy got it set up to the router so at least I could access the Internet and left me to it. "Yep" he said "I transferred all your programs over"
Well it has taken me 2 days to get back to something resembling normal, most of the programs I run were not transferred at all, the only thing he managed to save was my Firefox Speed Dial which is lucky, as that has all the web links I had, over 100 of them.
Had to load from scratch GoogleEarth, Dropbox, Notepad, Chrome, Firefox, and a bunch of other stuff I use for work like Adobe, ScreenCallipers, TurboCad and a few others.
I'm exhausted

I lost lost all my e-mails, so didn't have the code to activate my Kasperky AV, have had to e-mail Sydney to get that, still waiting for a reply.

This Windows 8 is going to piss a lot of people off, apparently XP will become redundant at the end of this year, there will be no further support, backup or updates provided by Microsoft.

You should hear my partner screaming at the new system, she went from using XP with Office 2003 straight through to W8
she didn't even have any practice on Vista or Office 2007, so even a simple spreadsheet is a major hurdle for her to get her head around.

So advice to everyone, if you use Windows prepare yourself for the change, it is going to be a major change for you.

ON TOPIC
Just published my first W8 produced interactive earthquake map, I nearly had a heart attack when I went into Dropbox to see if everything was there, Japan folder shows it is empty
, however the maps still show the files on my Blog, not sure what that is about.

latest LDEO interactive map, to 20/03/2013

edit on 20-3-2013 by muzzy because: l'll read the instructions/guide for W8 at the weekend
see what I should have done, there are still things to fix yet

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

I still dun on XP!

I knew about the updates stopping, but thought they already had. So thank you for the heds up. *note to self, car AND laptop need replacing next January*

I take it XP will still work though wont it? Unless of course in the meantime we get a CME, asteroid hit, rattled to death or poisoned by noxious volcanic gases.
In which case it would be a moot point!

OT...what's with the rattling on Greenland? Too big to be ice melt imho.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Off-topic reply:

Ha! It does suck royally, I have it on our new desktop. I've had that thing for weeks now, and am still figuring out Windows 8 (Windows Hate is more like it, because that's how I feel about it) I think there is a "skin" available to put the Start menu where it should be, but I haven't gotten frustrated enough to go find it. Also, for the sake of looking up system stuff easier, google "GodMode Windows 8". It'll give you a code to copy & past into a new desktop icon that literally puts all system things one click away. Hidden feature, I guess, I found it also works on Windows 7 (universal code?) ALSO. If you haven't figured out how to shut it down yet, I think it's buried in the "Charms" (the right side pop-up) I did find it once, and immediately made a desktop shortcut. All I have to do to shut down the computer now is just click that. Saves me the huge headache of hunting for it

I have yet to figure out how to delete the useless apps from the computer (I only use Desktop, Mail, Weather, and Calendar) Deleting them from the start page is easy enough, but I don't want them taking up space, CPU & RAM if I'm not using them. "Frustrating" is an understatement. I may be burning a Mozilla OS disk when that comes out. Or Linux if I can decide which is more appropriate for us.

On topic, I wonder how the activity around the west Pacific and Asia might influence activity on the east side. It sure seems to have been busy churning out the quakes the last few days over there, and also along the ridges.
The Comoros 'quake seemed a little out of place. The history links do show seismic activity over the years, but it just seems so out of the blue for there.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Welcome back muzzy...
I know what you mean, I get all Windows Versions for free since I am a student. I tried Win 8 for a few weeks, but somehow it could not even manage my switchable graphic card and so my pc got totally hot within minutes. Furthermore the whole interface is a nightmare if you dont have a touchscreen... I am bakc to windows 7 since I believe it is the best one. XP was good and Win7 has the look of vista but the performance of XP so it is perfect.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the tips.
I guess I'll have to frequent the Tech Forums for a while.
You shouldn't have to do all this extra work adding add-ons and APPs just to get a useable running system.
Our computer guy says its a nightmare, their phone is ringing off the hook with people wanting help with W8 and they are just learning how it works themselves.
The pdf reader that comes with W8 is not able to print the page/s, you need Adobe. Had to download an add-on just to get Word to convert to pdf as well. That is basic stuff just about all offices use pdf to file transfer these days. Why did they even bother putting a pdf Reader on W8 that is useless in the first place?
grrr

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

USGS Oklahoma City Urban Area, Oklahoma Mar 21 15:56 PM 3.0 9 MAP I Felt It INFO
Midwest City - A heavy Jolt that felt like a tree fell on our house.
midwest city - It shook the whole house
Spencer - Just a bump and a little shaking.
tinker afb - I felt another just now
Midwest City - Loud "boom" and srong shaking of house. Followed about 30 minutes late by a weaker shock. Midwest City - Short shaking (a second or two), enough to shake nick-nack off shelf. Second quake felt, slightly less shake, at about 11:25 AM.
Tinker AFB - It knocked a binder off my shelf.
MWC - WOW
midwest city - Sounded like a small explosion in the neighborhood
midwest regional medical center - Biog boom followed by light shaking - thought something fell on the roof of the building.

earthquake-report.com...

Also, in regards to the 3.8 in Spain...

The Pamplona area has experienced 137 earthquakes since Monday 08:00 AM. The population gets more and more worried and asks the authorities whether stronger quakes would occur. Of course, they can’t answer as nobody knows what will be coming. A Navarra seismologist has said that one of the possibilities (there are many other ones) is that the heavy rainfall from the last couple of weeks (in one month almost as much as an average year) may have greased the rock layers. This phenomenon is called Hydro-seismicity. But he says that also this is not conclusive. The only thing we can say is that the whole area should be prepared for a stronger one. This is mainly fixing objects who eventually can fall. We also advise to have a quick look at : Be Earthquake Prepared – A moderate earthquake occurred approximately 10 km outside Pamplona, close to Ciriza and Ororbia. IGN Spain is reporting a Magnitude of 3.7 at a still unknown depth at the time of writing.

edit on 21-3-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Not many aftershocks from that 4.9ML (NIED)/4.7mb(USGS) near Hitachidaigo in Kuji District, Ibaraki, Japan, ususally there would be a dozen or so a/s by now for a quake that size.
Bigger one to come?
interactive map of NIED prelimanary data 21-22 March JST

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Yeah, I guess time will tell huh?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

OfT:

Heya Muzzy, Win 8 does take some time to get used to, but I have found it to be more stable than XP. You also can search for things to make Win 8 function like 7 (to some extent). Give yourself some time to get used to it

OnT:

Evidently there are doing a ton of siesmic testing at Bayou Corne these past few days. Also there is a sheriff concerned the Lake Peignoir dome may be doing something odd as there are gas bubbles over it.

The world shakes

M.
edit on 21-3-2013 by Moshpet because: 42

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

Not that uncommon, but not very frequent granted.

www.emsc-csem.org...#

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

This Windows 8 is going to piss a lot of people off, apparently XP will become redundant at the end of this year, there will be no further support, backup or updates provided by Microsoft.

Well at least there is some good news. No more irritating updates!

The problem will come if your system crashes and you need to reinstall because then you won't get beyond SP3 which could be a problem, but then again may not be.

I have been playing with W8, with an axe - well OK - no on a brand new notebook where it can do no damage as there is nothing on it.

I am in the process of updating the QVSData program to run on .Net 4.0 and a later database system, hence the delay in any new tweaks.

reply to post by Nyiah

If you haven't figured out how to shut it down yet, I think it's buried in the "Charms" (the right side pop-up)

Ctrl+Alt+Del the three fingered salute. It is then the far bottom right icon.

edit on 21/3/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Quiet eh, nothing since 2.5, 2013/03/21 20:40:03 ALASKA PENINSULA USGS
Geofon same 4.6 , 2013-03-21 19:37:08 Northern and Central Iran
EMSC as a few Canary IS, Chile, Turkey biggest since mid day/midnight 3.2 Chile

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
Quiet eh, nothing since 2.5, 2013/03/21 20:40:03 ALASKA PENINSULA USGS
Geofon same 4.6 , 2013-03-21 19:37:08 Northern and Central Iran
EMSC as a few Canary IS, Chile, Turkey biggest since mid day/midnight 3.2 Chile

I thought the same yesterday. I wanted to state here, that I thing we might see something big within the next days, but I did not dare since I was not sure that it is really quiet. Now you are saying it is quiet, I believe my feeling

btw. is usgs down at the moment? I cant reach the site.
edit on 22-3-2013 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

edit on 22-3-2013 by whatnext21 because: i guess it is just me, put in the wrong url, not sure why USGS is only down for me?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

The realtime map is working for me, but when I try to load other USGS pages they are super slow to load, or just time out.
I did finally get the Beta list/map page to load. I think this will be nice for mobile devices.

I'll third the notion that it seems quiet--just about 42 days since the last mag 7+...statistically, we are overdue.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
USGS is working again for me... slow but working again. Maybe the have some maintance ongoing or something like that.

I hope the quake activity will just go back to normal.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Can't get USGS.gov on laptop, iphone or Kobo Arc in Southern Ontario.
edit on 22-3-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join