It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 57
<< 54  55  56    58  59  60 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Webicorder for G.TAOE (S8.85 W140.15, Taiohae - Marquesas islands, French Polynesia)

USGS arrival/phase time calculator gives the end of blue 3 hour line as P wave and start of green 3:10 line as S wave

www.iris.edu/servlet/quackquery/plotcache/webicorder_fTAOE.G.00.BHZ.2013.072.png

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
midway through March already

...... a couple of interactive earthquake maps of March so far

Italy mag 1+
New Zealand all

4.7 near Mt.Aspiring,South Island, NZ yesterday morning link
edit on 15-3-2013 by muzzy because: had to change the html name of the NZ map, when I update it a couple of times a month on my blog it sometimes replaces the previous one, sometimes it doesn't, in this case it didn't and the map I linked to only showed up to the end ofthe 9th,all fixed now, 243 quakes were added in the last 5 days

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

Thank you for taking the trouble to explain.

Whilst I appreciate what it is showing I don't think my old brain can process sounds that fast (and I am slightly deaf anyway). I live is a really quiet peaceful area of Ireland where you can hear very little most of the time. The odd jet passing over at 35,000ft, a car or maybe even two in an hour and at night it is so quiet in the house the clock becomes annoying. That sound on that site is, to me, a veritable cacophony and makes me want to scream and/or turn it off immediately.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

I don't have time just now to go into an in depth examination of these signals with you but I can say that the ones I looked at from MCID after 1800 UTC are NOT helicopters. They are seismic signals (not necessarily earthquakes) and seem at a quick look to me to have the signature or rockfall/ice movement/avalanche.

They sound like a low rumble at 20x speed and the frequency component ranges from 2 Hz to 10 Hz or thereabouts.

Here is the unfiltered spectrogram. I have included the whole screen so you can see it is MCID and that the slice I took was 18:00:00 UTC (to 20:59:59) on 13th March, 2013 and that this section begins at 18:14:04.13 UTC

Click for the bigger picture!

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thank you. At first I thought it was seismic. Then change my mind because they don't resemble the "usual" signature. But I couldn't understand how a cultral noise could be felt so far away on two stations very far apart. I would have just written they off as the mining signatures, but they didn't match that either. I think your avalanche or slide might answer this question.

Except, these were exactly like the other "helicopter" signature I couldn't figure out. IT was different, but again it was widespread and registered on several stations. I may go back and find it, but I doubt it.
thanks again

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

Given up trying to find the post to which this related but here is the helicopter spectrogram

Click for bigger image.

PS by the way the trace image does not look much different as I recall. The difference is in the spectrogram.

edit on 16/3/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is a big one so close to Auckland, NZ's biggest city, Motutapu Island is a dormant volcanic cone
13,043 felt reports
, as far away as Tauranga and Whangarei

Public ID 2013p203051
Universal Time March 17 2013 at 3:05:42
NZ Daylight Time Sunday, March 17 2013 at 4:05:42 pm
Latitude, Longitude -36.77, 174.91
Intensity ? moderate
Focal Depth 6 km
Magnitude 3.9
Location 15 km north-east of Auckland
Agency WEL(GNS_Primary)
Status ? reviewed
Quality ? best
www.geonet.org.nz...

there was another one 4 minutes prior too, to the SE, 1529 reports

Public ID 2013p203042
Universal Time March 17 2013 at 3:01:06
NZ Daylight Time Sunday, March 17 2013 at 4:01:06 pm
Latitude, Longitude -36.78, 174.94
Intensity ? light
Focal Depth 4 km
Magnitude 3.1
Agency WEL(GNS_Primary)
Status ? reviewed
Quality ? best
www.geonet.org.nz...

edit on 17-3-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
This is a big one so close to Auckland, NZ's biggest city, Motutapu Island is a dormant volcanic cone
13,043 felt reports
, as far away as Tauranga and Whangarei

Public ID 2013p203051
Universal Time March 17 2013 at 3:05:42
NZ Daylight Time Sunday, March 17 2013 at 4:05:42 pm
Latitude, Longitude -36.77, 174.91
Intensity ? moderate
Focal Depth 6 km
Magnitude 3.9
Agency WEL(GNS_Primary)
Status ? reviewed
Quality ? best
www.geonet.org.nz...

there was another one 4 minutes prior too, to the SE, 1529 reports

Public ID 2013p203042
Universal Time March 17 2013 at 3:01:06
NZ Daylight Time Sunday, March 17 2013 at 4:01:06 pm
Latitude, Longitude -36.78, 174.94
Intensity ? light
Focal Depth 4 km
Magnitude 3.1
Agency WEL(GNS_Primary)
Status ? reviewed
Quality ? best
www.geonet.org.nz...

A friend of mine is currently living there, he posted it on facebook just to say he is save... Since he is from Germany it was the first quake ever for him and I explained how he should behave. He told me that his host family who has been living there all the time has never experienced something like it... is it that uncommon in that are?
furthermore it seems really shallow...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

no they are not normally that close to Auckland, there have been a few mag 4's over the years over to the east in the Firth of Thames though.
I'm an ex-Aucklander myself, I remember a few big ones when I was a kid back in the 1960's they must have been out off Coromandel in the ocean.
Could have been volcanic, its only 600 years since Rangitoto blew its guts out.
The whole city is built on volcano's like Seattle is, you can see them as little pimples on the map below
map of those 2 quakes
this is a really cool volcanic 1859 map of Auckland I drag out from time to time Hochstetters map

pffffft it was only a 3.9! we just raise one eyebrow if one of them hits down here. Some newer arrived immigrant Aucklanders probably pooped their pants

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Ahh I see, the strongest one I have experienced was 5.5 and it was my first quake ever
I was scared...

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Got some seriously charged particles going on in the ionosphere!!

iono.jpl.nasa.gov...

Is S. America gonna blow today at some point??
edit on 18-3-2013 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

Maybe I spoke too soon!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The reason I posted this is because a day or two ago there was a CME from the sun. I have also noticed that when there have been larger quakes seemingly related to one of these events, they seem to happen 2-4 days after the event.........just food for thought!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
A 6.1 just popped up in the Sandwich Islands region.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

That's in the same neighborhood as Antarctica.

First 6 mag in a goodly little bit.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by radpetey
Got some seriously charged particles going on in the ionosphere!!

iono.jpl.nasa.gov...

Is S. America gonna blow today at some point??

If you go by this map, you would see something popping up at Banda Aceh or Taiwan today

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
www.rdmag.com...

"the geometry was the kicker"

(my geometry, kicks me in the face)

news.nationalpost.com...

www.usatoday.com...

I add the Hawthorne story because it's right near many 'earthquakes'.

en.wikipedia.org...

just because-

www.vancouversun.com...

Here's another story on earthquake gold.
www.businessinsider.com...

I don't think we understand water.
How can ice float?

Yes, on this thread we like to talk about the earth. The hard stuff. And how it rumbles and vibrates, and how it can bring the whole house down. Yes, the recent larges earthquake in Japan, Bada Aceh and Chile, prove once again how powerful and dynamic the earth really is. The other day I provided some scientist's claim they heard the sound of the Japanese quake out in space. Muzzy and Puterman can tell you how many equivalent nukes that would be. I just know it's lots. I know I've written about this before, so, let's just say the idea must not be penentrating my skull enough, because every time I look at the comparison, I'm blown away, not by the earthquake, but by the water.

I'm not discounted the lives lost during these, or any other earthquakes. But when you compare the earthquake to the tsunami, thre is no comparison.

I guess water being the catayst needed to make gold shouldn't surprise me. The same article talks about lubrication.

This is where my bean starts burning. We are lubricating the heck out of everthing. Maybe I exaggerate. We're not doing it everywhere. Just, almost everwhere on land. Irrigation. Oil, and gas. Mining. Carbon dumping. Waste-water disposal. I'm certain I'm forgetting something. Volcano fracking. I didn't make htis last one up in my imagination. It's real.

Drought and flood are part of a natural lubrication system. When dry, things tend to contract and crack. When wet, they swell and expand. Over time, this process erodes away enough rock to then change stress loads. The balancing act it the earthquake which then provides some sort of equilibrium. For a while at least. Our roads and bridges need constant repair and maintence because the shift from cold season to warm season can destroy concrete and steel.

Water is the universal element. Or at least the universal solvent. I didn't do well in chemstry class. duh
hydrogen is an element
oxygen is an element

comets are water
i'm water
or is it that i'm just all wet?

edit on 19-3-2013 by ericblair4891 because: ua

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Poland's rumbling a little:
M4.7 - 3km NE of Polkowice, Poland 2013-03-19 21:09:52 UTC
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I wonder if it's significant after the Romanian one. Probably not, but I ponder anyway.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This is pretty uncommon, I am German and I have never heard about quakes in Poland. (And even in Germany in the Eifel region something like that would be uncommon, but still more normal than in poland)

btw what is going on between indonesia and papua new guinea?
edit on 20-3-2013 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Interesting tempo,

Type: Earthquake
8 hours ago
Magnitude: 4.7
DateTime: Wednesday March 20 2013, 02:10:26 UTC
Region: Andaman Islands, India region
Depth: 96.7 km
Source: USGS Feed

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
And area of occurrence,

Type: Earthquake
5 hours ago
Magnitude: 4.7
DateTime: Wednesday March 20 2013, 05:21:57 UTC
Region: Comoros Region
Depth: 10 km
Source: CSEM-EMSC Feed

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

The Polish quake has caused a mine to collapse trapping 16 polish miners. Contact has been made with them. No further updates at the moment.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Hi Jane, I know that you always end your posts with 'Rainbows' but in this particular post it struck me as funny / black humor. Probs just my non PC humor.

Thanks for the info, hope they are OK, bad enough being in a mine during an EQ let alone being trapped.

P

top topics

<< 54  55  56    58  59  60 >>

join