It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 197
<< 194  195  196    198 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bonsaihorn

Thanks Bonsai, didn't mean to put words in your mouth

Now that my attention has been directed back towards Italy, I see that Etna is active again as well...
Webcam

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
sorry but, shound'nt it be "quake feel" instead?

edit on 29-12-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sageturkey

I appreciate it, you knew where I was coming from.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Quake, 5.2, in Naples, Italy. Home to Mount Vesuvius!

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

do not forget to mention the campi flegrei close.....!
Napels is build on volcanc grounds...:-(
for those who can read italian..
www.ov.ingv.it...

wat i could read is that the campi has an increasing uplift last 5 years... 120 mm...

edit on 29-12-2013 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2013 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

Why don't you start a Fracking Quake Watch 2014 then?
I'm sorry but fracking quakes in Oklahoma have no relevance to me, we get on average 50 quakes per day of the same magnitudes you are talking about, here where I live, the lowest magnitude I have felt was a M3.5 which was very close to me, and that was just a thump, but normally M4.5 is about it for the 50km range M2's and 1's are for records only they generally have no significance beyond counting them as aftershocks.
Japan, which is about the same size as NZ and as Oklahoma, gets about 200 per day, no big deal.

edit on 12u36336313 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

bonsaihorn
reply to post by muzzy

s0 has been talking about a conjunction with Mercury and Jupiter, along with an equatorial coronal hole coming Earth facing soon... his Morning News today had a good description about his elevated quake watch for the coming few days. He rated it as an 8 which he doesn't do often...

Sorry to nit-pick, bonsai, but whoever sO is (?), they got the astrology thing wrong. I'm an astrologer and there is no CONJUNCTION with Mercury and Jupiter. The next one of those will occurr July 2 2014. A Mercury & Jupiter OPPOSITION occurrs on January 2 2014, if that's what was meant.
I also don't get how either of these angles between these planets would denote earth movements/quake watch.
Are you sure that these were the planets involved?

Also, in your later post with the video, did you notice mention of a 5.0 EQ in the Canary Islands?
Bloody hell...that's where Cumbre Viejo volcano on La Palma island could dislodge half that mountain and fall into the Atlantic, causing a devastating tsunami that will inundate all surrounding coasts of 3 continents!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Why don't you start a Fracking Quake Watch 2014 then?

That is actually a very good idea. I would like to see Fracking Quakes in their own Fracking thread rather than here.

Very good idea.

How does everyone else feel about that.

You have to be real careful with spelling sometimes.

P

edit on 30/12/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Starling

The landslide/tsunami you mention from Canaries has been debunked by recent modelling, the tsunami would barely show on the US, South or Central America coasts.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

how trust-full is modelling compare to mother nature?
its all depending on good input data and mood of those who bring it in....

at least the possible effected country's do not have to make pre cautions anymoore by the latest modell..saves a huge amount of money...

edit on 30-12-2013 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Quake Watch 2014 is up and running with me at the helm this year. Muzzy will probably take it for 2015.

As regards fracking quakes I have to say that I believe they should be on the Quake Watch thread so I am happy for Eric/Robin to discuss them there.

May I take this opportunity to wish all reader of Quake Watch, and indeed all of ATS..........

A Happy and Prosperous 2014

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Well done.
Fracking deserves its own topic IMO, but so be it.

Remember this name "Dannevirke".
Oil exploration is about to begin in 2014 in that region of NI New Zealand, the Greenies are up in arms about the possibility of the Fracking method being used in extraction.
They haven't even found oil yet! people just jumping on the bandwagon, going with what is topical.
As it happens Dannevirke (southern Hawkes Bay,) already has tons of regular quakes, so it would be interesting to see if there is an uptick in the numbers there.
Local people seem to be keen for the potential income the drilling will bring, the area is mainly farming.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Starling

He talks about the plantets at 2:06 in his Morning News from today. I would think that having the Sun, Mercury, Venus system pulling from one side with Jupiter pulling on the other would exert quite a few different forces on the tectonic systems of Earth. I don't claim to be an expert in the least, just like to share some info I get from my news sources.

s0 is suspicious0bservers, he puts out a daily news and a lot of other information on his website.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Yes, there has long been the question asked, does size matter. And, I guess that all depends on who you ask. I will have to apologize and admit I'm much to shy to weigh in on the issue.

Oh right, earthquakes. Yes, I'm not necessary concerned with size, err, magnitude. There are many other factors such as location, depth, and frequency. This is why Muzzy and Puterman's work is so valuable. You can spot the trends in the graphs and visualize the thing all at once. After awhile, all those numbers can blur what's really going on. But when you see a graph, or map, that shows a pattern, you can understand what the numbers mean in many dimensions.

For example, I'm a little puzzled by what I am seeing on the USGS map. On the 30 day map, Oklahoma is not what it should be. Well, that would be if you compare what happened in Arkansas to what is now happening in Oklahoma. In Arkansas, we learned the earthquakes due to injection were on a trend-line that extended from Greenbrier to Guy. The state geologists explained that this was an ancient fault that may have been re-activated by the injection. I guess that makes sense. Puterman made many graphs at that time and you could see the pattern. The pattern was very typical of a fault that was moving.

So, what the heck is my problem with Oklahoma. I've noted the crack, or fault, or coincidental line of quakes that run from Southern Kansas, all the way to Texas. Yes, it is a big fault I suppose. Trust me, I don't really believe there is a giant fault. But that doesn't say there isn't. Or won't be.

Look at the 30 day of Oklahoma. Not all the earthquakes fall along a general trend. The newest quakes today were away from the center. And what can be seen is not a line. It is a large area that is active. It is more of a rectangle, oblong. Pick your shape. Whatever it is, it's a zone about 250km long, and 100km wide. Which means it's about as long as the New Madrid Seismic Zone. However, the New Madrid fault is a narrower trend. Much narrower.

Does this mean there is more than one fault in Oklahoma?
Or, is there something else happening?

Heck, I'm pretty sure there is something abnormal happening. And, I'll spare you my imagination. At the moment there is on one thing for sure. At almost every epicenter, there is a well nearby.

Did you know that underneath some glaciers, there is a layer of super-cooled water that helps lubricate it's movement?
Cool.

I think water lubricates faults.
Water. I think we take it for granted. And underestimate it in every way possible.

edit on 31-12-2013 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

ericblair4891
I think water lubricates faults.
Water. I think we take it for granted. And underestimate it in every way possible.

I agree completely, Eric.

IMO, it's also the most under represented variable in seismic modeling. No doubt, it is hard to quantify, but my hunch is that taking water into account will be the key to modeling, and eventually earthquakes.

Farewell QW 2013 and hello And Happy New Year to 2014!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Jiminy Chimneys. (I can't patent that expression. I looked it up and there really is a Jiminy Chimneys Sweeping Service. No lie.) The only reason I feel compelled to post this tv news report is the chimney. That's the one in my vision. No. That's a lie. It was a generic chimney.

kfor.com...

I must not be in a horrible mood. Because. When I heard those two fellas testifying, I wanted to call out some more lies. Or is Mr Holland joking. Also, what do they mean Oklahoma is second in quakes in the nation. Did someone forget about Alaska?

Although, still, being third is saying something. And today is three, I think. That's above the average of one a month. My email box has stories about Oklahoma daily. I only post the stuff I think is new. I was really to call it a night- I've been delaying since Okie is so active and I could peel my eyes away- but that stupid image of a stupid chimney, made me stupid. Both those guys in the report tried to deflect attention away from the obvious suspect. However, you could tell in their voices they ain't exactly sure they should be so sure. You could tell somewhere deeper there is a big part of their souls that is taking this very seriously. I'd almost say, gravely. Behind that wall of denial, these same fellas and their partners, they're being more honest.

(unrelated. no one wanted o know the answer to the shining door. ah heck, it's Torn Curtain. Alfred Hitchcock.)

edit on 31-12-2013 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I think something ominous might be brewing on the north west side of the Philippines

earthquaketrack.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The Fat Lady hasn't sung yet for 2013, there are annual summaries to be posted yet

Portugal
Its a funny looking name, I had to double check, I thought I had spelled it wrong

Anyway here are all the earthquakes I downloaded for Portugal and the Azores for 2013, from Instituto Português do Mar e da Atmosfera, 2200 of them .......
mag less than 1= 193
mag1= 927
mag2= 898
mag3= 165
mag4= 14
mag5= 3
mag6= 0
energy released= 14,159.68TTNT
(click image for interactive map,
opens in new tab/window)

Of course being part of the Iberian Peninsula you can't just isolate Portugal on its own seismically, Spain has to be added to the equation ................. (to be continued)

Don't know why I picked Portugal for the first summary, just one of those things, I actually finished NZ first then did Spain, but posted Portugal first.

FWIW I canned the December 22-? El Hierro animated GIF sequence I said I was working on, there were too many gaps when done on an hourly basis, who wants to look at a blank map as it rolls through the hours eh? I got up to 120 images before I quit it.
I'll keep working on the Cook Strait Jul/Aug 6.5. 6.6 aftershock sequence when I get time, that one rolled right through continuously for months, and is still going today 03/01/2014.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Spain 2013, © Instituto Geográfico Nacional
total= 9,169
less than mag1= 841
mag1= 4604
mag2= 2980
mag3= 594
mag4= 145
mag5= 5
mag6= 0
energy released= 16,330.0TTNT

(click image for interactive map, opens in new tab/window)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I was going to bring Italy 2013 next, but the Google Maps application says "could not be displayed because it is too large."

only 663 KB (679,246 bytes) file size
, geez I've done bigger than that before!. It may be the addresses I put on some months data.
I'll go back and change those to F_E Regions, that might bring it down a bit.
summary for 2013 is;
mag1= 13,341
mag2= 2,338
mag3= 238
mag4= 26
mag5= 1
mag6= 0
mag7= 0
total= 15,944
energy released= 3,722TTNT

edit on 01u1114 by muzzy because: revised summary

damn, still won't load, got it down to 558 KB (571,810 bytes), but holy cow, it was 13MB on file before processing by Google Earth! and GE went white for a while,
here is the file if anyone wants to see it, dl.dropboxusercontent.com... or has any idea how to crunch it down more?
China, USA, Greece and Turkey will likely be the same.
Any hope of doing a complete Global 2013 summary is out the door, Google Maps just can't handle it.

edit on 010000001114 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 194  195  196    198 >>

join