It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 195
<< 192  193  194    196  197  198 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Seismic unrest at El Hierro Island (Canary Islands) in 2011-13: updates

volcanodiscovery
Anyone watching this? Is this where that big land slide is possible?

Update Tue 24 Dec 09:08 The new seismic / deformation crisis continued over night with about 20 quakes between magnitudes 2-3 today so far (during the first 6 hours). The key obsservations are: - A migration of the quakes' hypocenters towards the south is visible. - Depths remain mostly at about 15 km, although a few events also occurred at shallower depths. - Deformation has become more pronounced with some stations in the central and southern part registering 4 cm uplift (example La Restinga, HI9). - INVOLCAN reports increasing Radon emissions preceding the seismic crisis. The most likely interpretation seems to be that new magma has started (again) to intrude into the layer between the mantle and the crust beneath the island and as long as the earthquakes remain at that depth, this magma is rather moving horizontally to form sills. As of now, no eruption seems to be imminent.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

fortunate..its not that volcano...
would be cruell to have another tsunami at xmas time....

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

Yes I noticed the uptick on the data yesterday, EMSC were showing it on GSAIM, had a closer look at the Spanish data and definitely something going on since 22/12 to the SW of the island.
Never got around to mapping it though.
No this is not the island with the landslide scenerio, which has been debunked as not likely anyway, that was one of the other Canary islands.

I like the term "Seismic Crisis" they used in that article, so used it in the title of ...............
Animated GIF of the December data

the number in the little block in the left hand corner is the day ie dd/mm format

I might break the last 3 days down into hours ...............

edit on 12u35735713 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Consider the following with the caveat that I may be wrong. Yes, sometimes I'm wrong. Or early. I actually love being wrong. Recently, I was wrong about something or other. And, after I went through the story, or problem, I can't even remember the specific issue, I loved that I didn't know something. I had learned something new. I was so excited and giddy. I was shocked at how happy I was getting about my mistaken idea. I have written about this feeling before. So, it's not the thought that is new. It's that every time it happens, I become happier. I'm almost craving the feeling of being wrong. Or, maybe a better word is lost. I like finding my way out of an unknown. So, let's say I'm wrong until proven right.

My idea is, that the earthquakes in Oil and Gas Alley will take a holiday. At present, they already seem to be slowing somewhat. I think you know why I think that the EARTHQUAKES will take a holiday. Doesn't nature take holidays? You know, regular stoppages, due to stuff. Stuff like shut off some production or another. Maybe. What the hell am I talking about? Oh, yes. I'm going to be closely watching the lack of Earthquakes in Okie and Texas. Sometimes I like looking for what isn't there. It's kinda like looking and hoping to be proven wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the earthquakes in that area go back to historic norms. Like, a few dozen plus 3's a year. Not, like the what? Hundreds. Is it up to thousands yet. No, I don't think so. I should know. I've posted enough new reports on such things.

I hope I'm wrong. About most of what I think. I would be refreshing. and better for all of us.

I'll add this next bit as a way to figure out the average of the quakes along the crack between Okie and Texas. In the last 30 days, there have been 44 quakes 2.5+M. So, that's a least one earthquake, above 2.5, in a 24 hour period. Yes, there's been lots under 2.5, which puts the average of quakes well about one a day. But, for now let's just see if there will be any soon. The last 2.5 humdinger was yesterday, 2013-12-23, 8:11 UTC. So, we're over a 24 hour period now with no quake.

(Totally unrelated- but I think I can sneak this in since I wrote a bunch and can digress. If anyone is interested in the best theory yet, concerning The Shining and the meaning of Room No 237, just drop me a ATS email and I'll give you the simple answer. Then you can go find more clues yourself. Why write this here? Frankly, Quake Watch is pretty much the only place on which I do whatever this is.)
edit on 24-12-2013 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

Back to EARTHQUAKES. If you look at the 7 days all magnitudes, the Okie/Texas crack only has three. It's been slow all week. Hmm. Nature must have been winding down things so she could go visit the kids.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Just wanted to say thank you to you and puterman for all you contribute....I watch this thread like a hawk because of where I live and it means alot to me what you post here. I don't understand even half of what you post except for the graphs and charts....THAT i understand! [smiles]

Posting in a thread and getting very little responses can be disheartening.... but please know there are lurkers who do appriate all that you and others do on this thread!!

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

If I recall correctly, 'quakes in Oil & Gas Alley do take breaks coinciding with holidays due to the drilling/fracking workers having the time off. I know this has been discussed & observed before, I'm just not sure which year QW thread it was in.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I think it was me who stated that earthquakes were taking holidays. Earlier this year, it was Thanksgiving. And, I know I've stated on other holidays, because, that's when I like to look for the "anomalies". I just think it's an amazing coincidence that the EARTHQUAKES in that area seem to have a work schedule. The post to which you replied was full of sarcasm. Sometimes, it gets the better of me. It's because I'm so cynical. It's in the utter absurdity of hypocrisy that I find the funniest stuff. And to which I mean all of our contradictions. It's the duality. I love it. And, hate it. Sorry, I was out shovelling snow and it always makes me philosophical. Since I am a Fragile Earth addict, I relate all things to the earth and it's geology. EARTHQUAKES are not my first passion. But, they seem to be an such an elemental part of the equation, I can't resist them. And besides, it's all part of the same process. I can't see any real difference between the EARTHQUAKES that happen to civilization. And, I can't see any real difference between snow and ash falling from a volcano. Whenever I am shovelling snow, I imagine those folks in Iceland digging out after and eruption. I know I'm all over the place, and that's another story. Here's a story about people shovelling ash from a volcano.

EARTHQUAKES are everywhere. All the time. Microseisms ( what the ... I'm certain that I'm spelling that right. I'm getting that helpful squiggly line saying I've made a mistake. But I'm a fact checker. I'm spelling it right. Funny, I was just explaining to my ten year old the importance of double checking facts. And, when I check the spelling, I found I am right. Damn, I was hoping to be wrong and learn something. Hasn't ATS heard of microseisms before. Geez. I know we're all familiar with them.) Anyway, the earth is always vibrating and shaking. Because it is breathing.

Gaia away
swoop

Had to add. Still no earthquakes anywhere in the Midwest US today. None. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The question marks were for affect. Or, is it effect. Those are two of my most unfavourite words. (oh my god!!!! unfavourite isn't even a real word. Why do I even try to write. Every time I try an structure a sentence I feel like a failure. Even the thread that I asked Puterman to start for me back in 2011? was not grammatically correct. I asked him to call it Robinesque Rumingings. He realized that was wrong, and it should be called Ruminations. Sigh. Why. But Ruminings sounds so much better. Sniffle. Why do I try?------------ As for this post, I never asked you to read the whole thing.)

And just for those keeping score, it's now 33 hours without an earthquake. And, that's at the current average of at least one every 24. * Calculated on normal business hours.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone!!!
Here's to an interesting....but safe, year of quakes!

WOQ

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

I was just sitting here waiting for the kids to go sleep (hubby included, lol) so Santa can show up, and saw that the midwest only got a 41 hour reprieve. Mag 3.7 Edmond, OK

No holiday for Oklahoma earth shakes this time.

I hope that is all for the day, at least.

edit on 12/24/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I check this thread several times a day, and just want to say thanks for all the hard work and contributions!
I never have anything relevant to post, so I just read. I do have something to say today, however-
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Miss Nugget

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I'm wrong. I just saw the Okie quakes. I'm wrong. There has been at least two. But I think there maybe two other little ones not listed.

I'm wrong. I am not afraid to admit it. However, I'm a jerk. The jerk in me says this is a left over, or hangover. Whatever it is- Mr. Holland would blame the lake since they're in that neighbourhood again- there's way to determine anything without real data. As an armchair quake watcher, I can only watch the squiggly lines and get the stats from the earthquake maps.

Here's an article about the Netherlands sinking in the sea even more. They're going to have to heighten their dykes. I mean, you're already at, or below sea level, and you're will to sink even further!?

royaldutchshellplc.com...

and here's some Texas stuff.

www.star-telegram.com...

www.texastribune.org...

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

ericblair4891
reply to post by Olivine

I'm wrong. I just saw the Okie quakes. I'm wrong. There has been at least two. But I think there maybe two other little ones not listed.

I'm wrong. I am not afraid to admit it. However, I'm a jerk. The jerk in me says this is a left over, or hangover. Whatever it is- Mr. Holland would blame the lake since they're in that neighbourhood again- there's way to determine anything without real data. As an armchair quake watcher, I can only watch the squiggly lines and get the stats from the earthquake maps.

Here's an article about the Netherlands sinking in the sea even more. They're going to have to heighten their dykes. I mean, you're already at, or below sea level, and you're will to sink even further!?

royaldutchshellplc.com...

and here's some Texas stuff.

www.star-telegram.com...

www.texastribune.org...

I do not think your wrong at all.....I think your water theory is way on mark!

We, in the landscape biz have a saying about most ground covers we install....."the first year it sleeps: the second year it creeps: and the third year it leaps."

It can take water a long time to reach its final destination; and under the laws of gravity on this green earth, always takes the path of least resistance.

edit on 25-12-2013 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
M4.2

- 28km SE of Campo, California
2013-12-26 00:18:19 UTC

Event Time

2013-12-26 00:18:19 UTC
2013-12-25 16:18:19 UTC-08:00 at epicenter
2013-12-25 16:18:19 UTC-08:00 system time
32.416°N 116.270°W depth=13.2km (8.2mi)

Nearby Cities

28km (17mi) SE of Campo, California
38km (24mi) ESE of Tecate, Mexico
65km (40mi) SE of Alpine, California
69km (43mi) NNE of Ensenada, Mexico
408km (254mi) WSW of Phoenix, Arizona

earthquake.usgs.gov...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: ()

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

M5.4 - 31km NW of Frontera, Spain
2013-12-27 17:46:06 UTC

Event Time
2013-12-27 17:46:06 UTC
2013-12-27 17:46:06 UTC+00:00 at epicenter
2013-12-27 11:46:06 UTC-06:00 system time

Nearby Cities
31km (19mi) NW of Frontera, Spain
89km (55mi) SSW of Los Llanos de Aridane, Spain
98km (61mi) SSW of Santa Cruz de la Palma, Spain
148km (92mi) WSW of Santiago del Teide, Spain
507km (315mi) W of Laayoune / El Aaiun, Western Sahara

USGS

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

This is in the Canary Islands and is pretty big for that location, is it not?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Yes, here are some articles about the swarms that have been occurring there. Supposedly there is new magma coming up below El Heirra Volcano, one of the islands.

December 23, 2013 – CANARY ISLANDS - The new earthquake swarm under the island’s central-SE sector continues. So far, about 120 quakes of magnitudes above 1.8 including a handful of possibly felt ones (up to magnitudes 3.2) have occurred since yesterday morning. Preliminary GPS data suggest a new phase of uplift has started as well, which supports the idea that a new magma intrusion is occurring at the base of the upper crust beneath the volcanic island. A new earthquake swarm started under the island on December 22nd. The earthquakes are located at about 15 km depth under the southeastern central part of the island. IGN recorded more than 40 quakes with magnitudes up to 3.2 so far. Whether the earthquakes are related to new magmatic intrusions at depth is a unknown but a possible scenario.

New earthquake swarm reported at El Hierro

Here is some reports on the latest quake you referenced and the activity since Dec. 22 when the new swarm started. It says that many instruments report that there is magma movement deep below the island.

Volcano risk alert raised to yellow

This is the strongest earthquake that the islands have experienced since activity began here in July of 2011.

2013-12-27 18:01 UTC
We are collecting information at this moment.
Rockfall is being reported at the island.
What happened is a release of the accumulated energy due to the intrusion of new magma below the island.

2013-12-27 18:12 UTC
Based on the data of the International seismological agencies, the earthquake happened relatively far out in the ocean to the west of El Hierro
It is perfectly normal that this quake was felt strongly on all the islands, but most on El Hierro (of course) and La Palma.

2013-12-27 18:20 UTC
Julio del Castillo Vivero just told me that Joke is OK at El Pinar. We think however that nobody will have been hurt and that damage will be at max. very minor as the epicenter is relatively far out in the sea (we still wait for more details).
Too soon to be sure about the origin of the earthquake (probably volcanic but might be also tectonic). The least we can say is that this Magnitude happens seldom so close to the islands.

2013-12-27 18:35 UTC
The epicenter area got already many aftershocks (not all of them listed yet). Still out in the sea.
We do not see any tremor on the seismographs which means that there is normally NO eruption going on in the sea after this earthquake.
The M5.3 was a NARROW ESCAPE for the islanders as a M5.3 earthquake below the island would have been certainly damaging. We are happy that it occurred this far from the island.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Whoa! M5.1 according to Instituto Geográfico Nacional
and to the west!!!, all the activity has been on the SE of the island the last 10 days, well up until the 24th it was. Looks like in the same area as the swarm earlier this year
I did the hourly animation up till then and it was tapering off on the 24th, I'll go back and finish that.

edit on 12u36036013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

Damn it, the latest 5.1 and the 5 aftershocks of that are off the map I previously did (see post above) for the hourly animation, I'll have to redo the whole thing

Aaargh!
here is a screenshot of the whole lot since December 1, finger points to the 5.1 area

edit on 1200000036036013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Pretty cool pic. Image of the shaking dust in Sabinosa posted by Maria Delcarmen Cortes Magan on the AVCAN Facebook page

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

F-E Region: Turkey
Time: 2013-12-28 15:21:06.4 UTC
Magnitude: 5.9 (mb)
Epicenter: 31.32°E 36.10°N
Depth: 58 km
geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

2013.12.28 15:21:02
36.0058 31.3002
6.0ML
Mediterranean Sea