Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

I wish I had a video player...

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
farout.. why did I get rid of it... I have so many cartoons like the GRINCH and can't watch them... me is going to buy a video player again cos today I feel like watching the Grinch, Dennis the Menace and even Baby's Day Out...but I can't now....

my advice to people is don't throw away your old technology just because there is something newer comes along (like a DVD player or the little black box I plug into my tele)

I have all my ole records and no ruddy record player...

I bet the young ones don't have this problem.

edit on 25/12/2012 by Thurisaz because: grammar

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You should buy a Video usb recorder.
Then you can archive all them VHS to PC or to DVD

I still have my Ferguson VHS player. and it works.. Oldskool

One day the old will meet the new. but the old will be worth something.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
You can watch all those things online for free you know.

You can likely find them doing a simple search in Google videos. If not, there are websites that host those videos for free. I haven't used my DVD player in almost 10 years now, never mind my VCR. I also haven't gone to a movie theater in almost 3 years but have seen movies as recent as "Lincoln" online.

There are ways to find what you want for free online, you just have to be patient and relentless at times, but you will find them.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

yes I could download them for free but I have them already...

and that will use my internet credit and then I will have to reformat them for my tele and it is just too much of a hassle and so I am paying for the same thing twice (in one way or another) and that is sad cos they are sitting right there in the cupboard....

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Paying for them twice? Internet credit?

I'm talking about streaming video not downloading. Downloading is obsolete and outdated, these 500+ gig hard drives are a waste of space & money, no need for more than 20-40 gig these days, unless you deal with d/l movies & music.

I don't know your set up, mine is a 50" LCD HDTV in the living room with my cpu hooked up to it.
I have no cable TV services, I have no TV services at all, just internet & telephone.

My internet goes into my cpu, my cpu goes to my TV, and I have all I need all in one.
I watch TV shows, movies, chat on ATS, play v.games, all in one unit. I download nothing.

I close my eyes, think of what I want to watch, use my links, and I'm off. It's too easy.
edit on 25-12-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

i am in the country and wireless is expensive. you sound like you have a good set up, I have a tele with stuff too but never been enthused about setting it up with my pc.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

i am in the country and wireless is expensive. you sound like you have a good set up, I have a tele with stuff too but never been enthused about setting it up with my pc.

I am in the country too, in the middle of the woods surrounded by forests. Population 1100+.
I have DSL internet, don't even need cable internet like Comcast, 3+MB/S speeds are the minimum requirement. Most companies offer that for around $30/month.

My modem is also a wireless router, my local ISP provides those, very convenient for cpus upstairs.

My set up in the living room is not wireless, I have an ethernet cable going from modem to cpu, then a VGA cable, or HDMI cable for modern cpus, into my LCD HDTV. The sites I use stream all shows & movies in real time, no need to sit & wait for it to load.... sometimes I have to wait a few minutes, no biggie.

If you have a modern TV, LCD, LED, etc, then you can do the same set up.
If you have a fat heavy TV, you'll need a TV tuner video card in your cpu to do the same, and those TVs are analog not digital picture. I did it years back and it was fine, I have a modern TV now and it's better.

If you have an internet provider that reaches you in the woods, you are all set.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Right, ok, I am going to stop being so lazy and check it out. The only service provider round here is telstra and I hate them... in the city, I had optus and they were ok, but that still cost me 90 per month for 30 gig.

I might look at my options but that will take longer than actually just going to the shop and buying a new vcr player... but I will look at it and even my Daughter has been nagging me about this... get it set up better etc...

I will make it my NY Resolution. I pay now 50 dollars for 3 gig. parthetttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccccccccccc!!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz.

I will make it my NY Resolution. I pay now 50 dollars for 3 gig.

3 "gig"??? That's the speed you receive out of your modem?
If it is.... that's INSANE! Way overkill!

If that's all you are allotted to stream/download per month, that's crap! An injustice!

If it's what you are allowed per month, then streaming might not be your best answer.
If it's your download speed, then you are beyond able to watch shows/movies for free.

Our internet in the east coast USA is horribly expensive.
I paid $20/month for super fast cable internet in the year 2000. In 2012, the same speed is $100/month with Comcast. Why?? Did technology get worse over time, like electricity distribution? My electric bill 10 years ago was 60% less than it is now... again, why??

They are raping us financially at every turn, and it just gets more expensive by the month. That's why I do what I do with TV/movies online. Trying to save as much as I can.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I have a ROKU, which you can get for as little $49 now. We stream movies to the TV through this (you can use wifi or hard wire it). We have Netflix and Hulu for totalling about $15 per month. We can't afford cable, and my family is grateful for this setup after going a over a year with neither cable or internet.

top topics

join