It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protecting Yourself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I would think that many people here including myself keep sensitive files on our computer systems from research etc. that we wish to be protected. By protected I mean encrypted. Now it is my understanding given enough time anything can be decrypted, the question then becomes how sensitive it is depends on the type of encryption necessary to protect yourself. An example would be your banking and say your prep inventory with location should receive maximum protection and for the longest time. Where as research paper to be published could use something simple and not as strong for a shorter term before publishing.

So it has always been my understanding that PGP was at the top of the list in terms of protection as well as Bit Locker, and Truecrypt. I came across this software product claiming to be a Forensic Disk Decryptor produced by Elcomsoft. It claims to have the ability to decrypt containers even portable containers on thumb drives. I would think something we all use, I prefer an Ironkey and have been very happy with it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this software or would like to discuss their method of protecting sensitive files electronically if that is now possible. I also use AxCrypt on my main system because it integrates so well with windows.

I know there is some pretty sharp folks with experience that we could all use to protect those conspiracy files we all work on. Thoughts would be appreciated.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
According to them, the software grabs the keys from memory dump. Looks like from now own I must rip out the memory chips when I am not here.

They have a version of the software you can download and play with (which I will do soon) at

www.elcomsoft.com...

Might as well get one of my old HDs, encrypt it and see if this software can in fact decrypt it and report back.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Taking another look at their website they have a TON of password hacking / recovery software for things like

Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor (Which you can do with Backtrack 3 linux distro)

Audit security of your wireless networks and recover WPA/WPA2 passwords with Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor.

ElcomSoft Password Recovery Bundle

A complete suite of ElcomSoft password recovery tools allows corporate and government customers to unprotect disks and systems and decrypt files and documents protected with popular applications.

Elcomsoft iOS Forensic Toolkit

Acquire bit-precise images of Apple iOS devices in real time. Extract phone secrets including passcodes, passwords, and encryption keys, and decrypt the file system image with or without the original passcode.

Elcomsoft Internet Password Breaker

Elcomsoft Internet Password Breaker instantly reveals passwords to Web sites, identities, and mailboxes stored in a variety of applications.

I have not gone through any of the tools above yet. It looks like they go after common storage areas for password, hashes and encryption keys in order to successfully retrieve keys and passwords.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by YapTalk

That would be great, I always wonder what the feds have if this is available on the street. But I don't think it's necessary to remove the ram, can't you just shut off your computer each time and unplug it? I do know they have a back door type of virus that can move into different sections of the ram as your software tries to find it making it undetectable for now.

new topics

top topics

join