It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Miss Granny

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Merry Christmas, ATS!

I'm so lucky to be spending the holidays with my family, especially when so many will be alone. But my heart is hurting, and I wanted to share it with you. ATS is like family to me.

I miss my Granny. Every Christmas, we'd spend the day at her house, eating lunch and opening gifts. She's been gone for three years now, but she was the glue that held our family together. With her death, the family lost touch and no longer interacts together except in the most superficial ways.

I miss my Granny. The smell of her turkey and stuffing; her Christmas tree with the hidden bird ornament that would sing at the most inoppurtune times. I miss her mischievous nature and her practical jokes, which I absolutely inherited. I miss her laugh, her smile, her warm and loving hugs.

As life goes on, we lose those we love. They become cherished memories, echoes of nostalgia that gather close during the holidays.

Tonight I will kiss my son, hug my husband, and prepare for the festiveness of tomorrow. But part of me will be remembering Christmases past...and missing my Granny.

To all of us who miss someone this year.....much love to you.

Merry Christmas to all,
smylee
edit on 24-12-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I miss my Mother. She passed on October 27th of this year. Everyone says things get better in time. As with all things I doubt it.

I hope your memories help you through the season.

For me..... My Mothers "secret" cornbread stuffing will remain that. A secret! She never wrote it down and we will never taste it again.

I will hug my children and savor their company.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I miss my Grandmother too. I called her (Nana). My Mother died of cancer when I was 4 1/2 and my Grandmother then became my Mother too.

I love her so much; and miss her every day of my life. I miss her laughter and her joy; the love she gave so generously to all she came across in life.

I miss waking up Christmas morning and finding her sitting at the dining room table; sipping her coffee waiting for me to get up and find my Christmas stocking full of treats and small presents.

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Where did you come up with your name Caladonea?? This was my great great grandmothers name. My mother called me little Caladonea as I looked like her.
Just another reminder of things I will miss this christmas.
You don't have to answer my question. It was just strange to see.

And I am so sorry for your loss.
edit on 24-12-2012 by freedomataprice because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta

How true...so many in Heaven now. I do wonder how they celebrate.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have a granny too,sweet as pie.
I could not visit her this year for Christmas and I fear she will not be around for next Christmas.
She is my last surviving grandparent.

I miss my granny too,but she still walks this earth,so I am lucky in that way.

It's amazing how time passes so fast and those that you charish the most have gone.

My heart goes out to you,smyleegirl.
edit on 24-12-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomataprice

Where did you come up with your name Caladonea?? This was my great great grandmothers name. My mother called me little Caladonea as I looked like her.

Caladonea is a nickname of mine; had it for a while. I originally chose it; I don't know exactly why; it just made sense to me.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
My dad died in 1992. My mother passed away a year ago in September. That was the first Christmas we spent without at least one of our parents. We were like beads on a necklace that the string had just broken.

We dearly miss our parents, but have come to realize that we all have children of our own and some have grandchildren. It was time for us to pick up the torch and move forward with our own families. And so, the circle of life continues.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Missing mine as well. Her birthday would have been the 27th and this new years eve will be the 2nd Anniversary of her passing.

We still have My mother in law to keep most of the family coming together. She even threatens most of my family into showing up because she very much considers extended family like blood. She's trying to prepare me to pass that torch down to next....Kinda exciting, but I don't know if I can bring everyone together like she somehow always does.
Nobody has done Christmas quite like my grandma and no one will ever be able to do it like my mother in law either.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
My Grandparents on both sides have all passed away, but it was my Grandpa on my Mom's side who used to be the glue that held us all together. He has been gone for going on ten years now and we all miss him. A few of us get together at Thanksgiving regularly, now, but not at Christmas, any more.

I no longer consider myself Christian, but I do very much miss our family ritual of Grandpa reading the Christmas story on Christmas Eve. Then, we would all open presents, except for our stockings (stockings were for Christmas morning). The cousins and I would fetch the presents from under the giant tree and pass them out to the whole family. We would eat a marvelous dinner feast, then talk, enjoy each other's company, and play games until 11:30, when we would all dress up (and bundle up in our coats) and pile in the car, and then drive to my grandparents' church for the midnight candle-lit service. Just holding a candle at midnight, instead of being in bed sleeping was a really big deal.

Yes, I miss the old rituals. May we all remember them fondly!
edit on 24-12201212-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by freedomataprice

Caladonea is a nickname of mine; had it for a while. I originally chose it; I don't know exactly why; it just made sense to me.

It is spelled and looks very similar to Caledonia, the old Roman name for my country, Scotland. Perhaps it originates from that?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomataprice

I lost my Mom, October 22nd of this year. I was doing fine until a few days ago. I can't stop crying. Christmas was always her, and especially Christmas eve. I miss our tradition. I know we will find new ones, but I miss her a ridiculous amount.

Hugs to you, I know how you are feeling.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by minettejo

Oh Honey, big hugs and love to you!!!! It is so hard to go through without the ones who make it all work. I know a lot of us on ATS can relate. It is hard, but we go on. This may be the time of year when you will have to be the most brave. You have the strength that you need to go forward. Hang tough. You will prevail.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by minettejo
reply to post by freedomataprice

I lost my Mom, October 22nd of this year. I was doing fine until a few days ago. I can't stop crying. Christmas was always her, and especially Christmas eve. I miss our tradition. I know we will find new ones, but I miss her a ridiculous amount.

Hugs to you, I know how you are feeling.

Hugs to you, my friend. Hugs to you.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
To all of you that have lost a loved one and are missing them dearly this time of the year, just think off all the love they gave you while they were here.

There are a lot of people out there who grew up in very dysfunctional / abusive or even non existent families.

You were one of the lucky ones that were blessed with people who loved you, who STILL live inside of you.

Close your eyes for a second and feel your loved one's love... I bet you will!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Yea... same here... mine died this year.

This christmas has been... weird. Lack of better words. We used to have all this tradition... and... well let say its been pretty different. Its freakin 9am and I still cant sleep...

I dont know if next year will be better... but I'm hoping it will be easier at least.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Instead of "missing" somebody embrace them. Separation is an illusion. The only thing that's changed is their physical body, the container, has died.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

This is you you Smylee, and everyone else that visits this thread.

In fact, it is for everyone.

This Christmas I am spending with ATS upon the 7 seas.

My friends, I love you all...............let us remember our beloved departed ones together...........

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Hey SmileyGal..

You ARE your Gran.. Everything wonderful she gave you is yours to pass onto your own family and be the glue for them.. That is how you honour those that have
loved into you those gifts..
I am sending hugs to you sweetheart.. And hope you and yours have a great day filled with the love your Gran bestowed on you.. Xxxxx
edit on 25-12-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join