It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch , 2013

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
And more Russian volcanoes. Shiveluch has been erupting for some time now but here is a picture of the latest.

©ITAR-TASS/Alexander Petrov

VLADIVOSTOK, December 03. /ITAR-TASS/. There was a powerful eruption of the Shiveluch volcano in Kamchatka on Tuesday: the volcano ejected ash from its crater to a height of 10 kilometers. Experts of the volcanology observatory of the Klyuchi settlement told Itar-Tass by telephone that “something incredible is happening on Shiveluch.”

The article gives more information on the growth of the dome at Shiveluch.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Series of images of Etna eruptions of November/December on Flickr

Well worth a look.

Edit: Changed the link to the first image
edit on 4/12/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The Kamchatka syndrome: chasing jackpots

Slideshow of lots of Kamchatka volcanoes

“It was not I who chose Kamchatka, but Kamchatka that chose me, and it is my mission to show this place to people,” said Irina Daletskaya, a beautiful and elegant woman, whom visitors find hard to imagine braving snowstorms and cold in the wild north.

“It is a unique, pristine region. I think this is how our planet must have looked when life began here,” Daletskaya continued, with passion. “It is a kind of open-air museum, only you need a helicopter to reach the exhibits.”

Daletskaya dreamed of going to Kamchatka while she was studying geology at Kiev University. “In the few photographs available at the time, I was struck by this fantastic land. It became the only place on the planet to draw me like a magnet,” she said. After earning enough to support herself by participating in a northern expedition, Daletskaya set out in search of her dream, carrying a camera.

During that expedition, Daletskaya met Dr. Alexander Svetlovsky, a volcanologist who was impressed by the young geologist’s skill in capturing the beauty of nature in the crisp frame of a photograph. He brought Daletskaya along as a photographer on an expedition he arranged to Kamchatka's live volcanoes. On that trip, Daletskaya worked with the eminent Soviet photographer Vadim Gippenreiter, who became her mentor.

Read more in the article and watch the slideshow

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

who would like to have the honors of creating next years volcano thread .. i honestly do not feel up to it this year ... thanks

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

alysha.angel

who would like to have the honors of creating next years volcano thread .. i honestly do not feel up to it this year ... thanks

I will take the helm if no one else wants to, and Muzzy wants to carry on hosting Quake Watch. If anyone else wants to host Volcano Watch next year let Alysha or myself know.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

BYU geologists discover 'super volcano' in Utah

Read more

Geologists at Brigham Young University have discovered what may be the world's largest "super" volcano that erupted in Utah's own backyard.

While there are a variety of volcanoes that blast away in different ways, super volcanic eruptions are the biggest that collapse into large calderas. Yellowstone Park is the remains of one of those calderas and it's still very much alive and active.

But, geologists think they may have found an equally as big if not bigger super volcano, one that shook up western Utah and eastern Nevada 30 million years ago. The eruption is hardly visible to the naked eye now, but underneath and in surrounding formations, the evidence was waiting to be uncovered.

It's dead Jim so its not going to blow it!

I am sure that in the past there have been equally large eruptions that are probably not under water or the traces of which have been covered over, but it was a biggie @~6000 cu km.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Thanks Puterman for the reply on my questions. Keep up the good work!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

hey guys i changed my mind and volcano watch 2014 is up and open for business . here she is
www.abovetopsecret.com...

but i need help in relearning how to insert pics into the thread it self . thank you ats .. too many changes .

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
sorry guy ive been out for awhile so whats new anything getting ready to explode on us?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismg

El Hierro perhaps?

El Hierro Volcano activity report – No more earthquakes but continued deformation in the South-East of the island

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

i know its an old article but it bears some insight and attention, rt.com...

The anticipated North Korean third nuclear test may trigger an eruption of Mt. Baekdu, a dormant volcano, which is located not far from the North Korean Punggye-ri nuclear site, claims a South Korean geologist.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Watching Etna's new activity today, HT is really shooting up there.

Source
files.abovetopsecret.com...

Source
files.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 29-12-2013 by sageturkey because: Added Source

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I guess I'll plop this here since it is still 2013.

According to Erik Klemetti's Eruptions blog, San Miguel volcano in El Salvador erupted spectacularly today.

The most recent Washington VAAC describes the volcanic ash being at flight level 22,000 feet.
Over 5000 people nearest San Miguel have been evacuated.

The government had a webcam which caught the eruption:

edit on 12/29/2013 by Olivine because: no "e" at the end of Salvador

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

~Sageturkey goes into magmagasm...~
Last eruption in 2002? Looking for a webcam link.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

sageturkey
reply to post by Olivine

~Sageturkey goes into magmagasm...~
Last eruption in 2002? Looking for a webcam link.

You crack me up. Magmagasm! I know, right? Etna, San Miguel, what next?

So I dug up the El Salvadorian volcanism page SNET.
When I followed the links for Monitoring, it looks like they once had a working webcam and spectrograms, but the links seem to be broken at the moment.

Aha! It is possible to load a nearby seismo in GEE: add network SV, then load station PACA, channel HHZ
edit on 12/29/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Sunday, December 29, 2013, 8:27 PM -

Chaparrastique volcano ash burst prompts evacuations in El Salvador

The 2,129-metre volcano is located 145 km east of San Salvador, the capital. Its last significant eruption was in 1976.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join