learn more

Volcano Watch , 2013

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Great page and those really give you an idea of what it would be like if a massive volcano blew. Can't imagine the devastation and cloud cover something that size would produce with a full eruption.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Good Find Great Pics * for you

Seeing all the gases & material put up in our earths atmosphere just naturally from these eruptions & thinking about how this affects climate change on our earth. Some worried about livestock farts & its effect on climate change. No comparison. Just thinking.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Great page and those really give you an idea of what it would be like if a massive volcano blew. Can't imagine the devastation and cloud cover something that size would produce with a full eruption.

It's not "if" but when a massive eruption will occur.

Look at the Eyjafjallajokull plume and take it as base.

From wiki page

en.wikipedia.org...

The second phase of the eruption started on 14 April 2010 and resulted in an estimated 250 million cubic metres (330,000,000 cu yd) (¼ km3) of ejected tephra. The ash plume rose to a height of approximately 9 kilometres (30,000 ft), which rates the explosive power of the eruption as a 4 on the Volcanic Explosivity Index.

0.25 km3 for Eyja as total ejected tephra and here you only see a part of it with that plume.

Now let's take a VEI 7 ejecting 250km3 of tephra (eruption would follow a different pattern but it gives you an idea of the ash cloud)
Here we would have a "plume"/cloud that's going to be 1 000 bigger than what you see on the Eyja picture.

The latest Toba eruption was about 2 500 km3 (some sources talk about 2 800 km3) ejected tephra so a "plume"/cloud that was 10 000 bigger than what you see on the Eyja picture.

It'll happen again and again, I only hope I won't have to witness it. I like cold and snow but I'm not fond of a volcanic winter.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
This one's for you Olivine

Volcanologist have just said the presence of the mineral Olivine is a clue to magma rising quickly from the mantel. Study was done at Irazu volcano in Costa Rico. An expressway to the surface.
Link: www.livescience.com...

Link: www.minerals.net...

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Some activity at Tjörnes Fracture Zone in Iceland. Epicenter is located in Krafla volcanic system, but not even near to actual caldera. The activity seems to be not continuous and pulsating. Last eruption of Krafla was in 1984 and it has erupted 29 times during its observed activity. Krafla system is largely used for geothermal energy, temperatures are very high and magma is situated as near to surface as 2.1 km deep.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekingDepth

Beautiful, isn't it?
Thanks for the link.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Russian volcano spews ash 5km high

Russia's northernmost active volcano churned out ash to a height of up to five kilometers (three miles) in the country's Far East, RIA Novosti reported citing the Emergencies Ministry’s local department.
The 3,283-meter (10,771 feet) Shiveluch volcano increased activity in May 2009 and has been periodically spewing ash from three to ten kilometers.

PanArmenian

That is a big volcano, which sometimes has erupted very fiercely, in 1854 and 1956 it erupted so fiercely that lava dome collapsed and caused deadly debris. Nearest settlement is 50km away and small enough to evacuate fast. Current eruption started in 1999 and its still ongoing.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
UFO Sighting On Mount Etna In Eruption, Sicily Italy, April 27, 2013

Any thoughts Silo?

www.youtube.com...

edit on 7-8-2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This is fun. You can watch a live stream from the Pacific sea floor as the Visions 13 Expedition lays cable and hooks up equipment that monitors Axial Seamount volcano.

Here is the live stream link.

The person currently operating the robotic arm is skilled.
edit on 8/10/2013 by Olivine because: speeeeling

ETA a screencap of the activity. The pillow lavas are fantastic, and when this work is complete, there will be an HD webcam to watch new ocean floor being extruded.
(click for larger image)
edit on 8/10/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

MAUMERE, Indonesia (AP) - Officials were searching on Sunday for the bodies of two children as small explosions could be heard from a volcano that erupted a day earlier, killing six people on a small island in eastern Indonesia.

Ash and smoke shot more than a kilometre into the air after Mount Rokatenda in East Nusa Tenggara province erupted early Saturday morning.

Nearly 3,000 people have been evacuated from the area on Palue island, according to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency.

The volcano has been rumbling since last October.
www.straitstimes.com...

The photo above taken from the Maurole district of East Nusa Tenggara province with a camera phone shows Mount Rokatenda volcano spewing a huge column of hot ash during an eruption on Aug 10, 2013.

Palue island location on GMaps

location of M 6.0 Earthquake, 189km WNW of Saumlaki, Indonesia 2 hours 32 mins ago

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Sakurajima spews its highest volcanic column ever at 5,000 meters

A spectacular eruption of Sakurajima volcano sent up its highest plume in recorded history on Aug. 18, the Kagoshima Local Meteorological Observatory said.

Source: THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

That is 16404 ft for those of you who have not been modernised yet

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Mount Rokatenda?? I had never heard of this one and had to look it up.

More commonly known as Paluweh, which I have heard of.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Would you call this major Kyushu Ash Hole a caldera or just a strato volcano? I think their city is way too close to survive a Plinian class eruption. That picturesque Japanese city, could end up like the ruins on Santorini, in the Aegean Sea. With the world wide up tick in vulcanism, I would want to evacuate from within a thirty mile radius, for a while.

i]reply to post by PuterMan

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Item

Sakurajima Volcano Erupts in Japan: Largest Eruption in Decades Sends Ash Plume Thousands of Feet High
Nick Wiltgen Published: Aug 18, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT weather.com
www.weather.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
my boyfriend linked me to this piece on that eruption in japan.

news.sky.com...

A volcano has erupted in southwestern Japan and coated a city with a layer of ash. People in Kagoshima city wore masks and used umbrellas to shield themselves from the falling ash after the Sakurajima volcano erupted on Sunday and spewed a three-mile smoke plume into the sky. Drivers were forced to turn on t

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

20 August 2013, 2:00pm - White Island eruption information update;
Volcanic Alert remains at Level 2, Aviation Colour Code lowered from Red to Orange.

A small eruption occurred at White Island at 10:23 on Tuesday 20 August 2013 (NZ local time) and continued for about 10 minutes. The eruption column was visible from the Bay of Plenty coast with a plume rising to about 4 km above sea level before slowly dispersing.

The activity at White Island has now returned to that before this morning's eruption.

The eruption originated in the active crater area that has been experiencing very small mud eruptions in recent weeks. The eruption threw mud and rocks a short distance from the source, and produced large volumes of white steam. Weather radar observations show that a small proportion of volcanic ash was carried with the steam.

White Island has been experiencing low level activity since August 2012 so an eruption like that this morning was not completely unexpected. Volcanologists observed a short period of strong volcanic tremor yesterday morning, but is is not clear if this was related to this morning's eruption.
info.geonet.org.nz...

here is a screenshot of the WI siesmo, saved for posterity as it will move on in a days time
edit on 20-8-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Torfajökull in Iceland seems restless. That volcano has been waiting quietly in the shadows of three of its neighbors: Eyjafjallajökull (That flight chaos volcano), Katla (The scary volcano) and Hekla (That has notorious history). Those volcanoes have showed their muscles in present times, but Torfajökull has been just sleeping. I have monitored activity of this region around 2 years already, but that volcano has always been quiet. When I looked its history, last eruption was 1477, that sure is long time ago.

en.vedur.is...

Torfajökull (Torfi's Glacier) is largest rhyolitic-volcano in Iceland. Its massive, rising 300-600 meters from its surroundings (which are very moon like, it doesn't look like Earth at all). Hot springs are very dominant in landscape.

There is evidence that around 70 000 years ago, it erupted violently, destroying the glacier around it and spewing massive amounts of ash towards Europe. It could have spread ash as 5,5m thick layer around Norwegian sea (Eyjafjallajökull didn't even make 5mm ash layer).

Next eruption is likely much weaker than that, but rhyolite contains high amounts of gas, that could lead to explosive eruption. In worst case, this could lead to even worse flight chaos than Eyjafjallajökull made.

www.os.is...
davemcgarvie.wordpress.com...
edit on 6-9-2013 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Mount Sinabung in Indonesia has erupted second time this week. Last time it erupted in 2010, its one of Indonesia's most active volcanoes. Its only 25 miles away from Lake Toba Supervolcano.

(AP Photo/Binsar Bakkara)

MEDAN, Indonesia — A volcano in western Indonesia has erupted for the second time this week, forcing some villagers who were just returning home to flee the mountain again.
Local Disaster Mitigation Agency chief Asren Nasution said that Tuesday’s midday eruption spewed volcanic ash and thick smoke up to three kilometers (nearly two miles) into the air. He said there were no immediate reports or damages or injuries.
More than 6,200 people were evacuated from their villages following Sunday’s smaller eruption of the 2,600-meter (8,530-feet) volcano in North Sumatra province.
Mount Sinabung is among 129 active volcanoes in Indonesia, the world’s largest archipelago nation which is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific “Ring of Fire,” an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

Inquirer.net
edit on 17-9-2013 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

If Torfajökull is restless watch out. It is the precursor to a Hekla eruption.

For over a century scientists have studied the warning signs of impending volcanic eruptions, but accurate predictions of these explosions are often imprecise.

Predicting volcanic eruptions

I guess you could say that makes them inaccurate. What a silly way to word that!

edit on 28/9/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
edit on 1-10-2013 by Dianec because: Unedited and double post - Internet kicked me off but evidently still posted the initial one. Sorry.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join