It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch , 2013

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Kamchatka a penninsula in far east Russia has the highest concentration of active volcanoes. Terra satillite caught 4 erupting at the same time. www.ouramazingplanet.com...

29 of the volcanoes are active. If they all started erupting at the same time, and in a line on the peninsula could the whole volcanic area open up like the old Siberian Traps? en.wikipedia.org...
Could the mantle plume that caused the Siberian Traps moved east just like they say the plume that is now under Yellowstone did over time?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Volcanic Alert Bulletin WI-2013/02 - White Island Volcano
GNS Science Volcanologist Brad Scott visited White Island yesterday to assess the increased level of volcanic unrest.

Mr Scott’s observations confirmed that hydrothermal activity in the small 'hot lake' has increased. The most common activity is "doming-up" of the lake surface by steam/gas, bringing large amounts of sediment to the surface, often with vivid white steam/gas 'flashing' from around the base. Every so often stronger events happened. This activity has been increasing since late 2012 and is now semi-continuous.....................
info.geonet.org.nz...

www.geonet.org.nz...
edit on 21-1-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
my sister forwarded me this awesome pic ..

www.wunderground.com...

With more than 300 volcanoes crowded into a finger of land roughly the size of California, Russia's Kamchatka peninsula is home to the world's highest concentration of active volcanoes.

enjoy people

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
An article I saw today talks about a new type of underwater volcanic eruption.

www.radionz.co.nz...

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

I am a fragile earth freak too!

Found another Link to these Lava Baloons www.ouramazingplanet.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekingDepth

Really cool graphic! And yah, complete earth freak here. Came to ats after the Iceland volcano E erupted, and found a bunch of hurricane, eq, solar, and volcano junkies like myself. Not too knowledgeable about eqs and volcanos, but can hold my own with weather and solar stuff. See ya around, fellow freaky. Star for ya.

Peace
edit on 24-1-2013 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hot Hot Volcano Slide Show:

wiki.answers.com...=callout_0.0

Talk about information on volcanos, keep scrolling, more info, keep scrolling...

www.answers.com...

Enjoy

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekingDepth

Great links. Those images are so amazing they don't even seem real.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

It looks like GNS Science has raised the aviation alert code to Orange for White Island. This Volcanic Alert Bulletin from January 24th states that harmonic tremor is subsiding, but now they are picking up hybrid type earthquake signals. These are thought to represent both rock breaking and magma movement.

An additional bulletin from the 25th shows no increase in outgassing, so it is thought no large eruption is emminent, but sustained unrest is ongoing.

I read something concerning on Erik Klemetti's Eruptions blog:

Interestingly, with all this new activity, tour operators are trying to make it seem like a great time to visit White Islands — something I think could potentially lead to disaster.

In the comment section, someone said they thought that White Island volcano was privately owned. Muzzy, do you know if that is the case?
edit on 1/26/2013 by Olivine because: question mark

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Great vidio of lava flow from the Plosky Tolbachik Volcano on the Kamchatka peninsula in Russia.

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Paluweh volcano (Flores, Indonesia): major explosion generates ash plume rising to 43,000 ft (13 km) altitude

Sunday Feb 03, 2013 11:52 AM

www.volcanodiscovery.com... ; www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Fuego (Guatemala) ; Santa María / Santiaguito (Guatemala)

A large ash plume rising to 43,000 ft (about 13 km) altitude and extending 175 nautical miles to the south was spotted last night by VAAC Darwin. The likely cause is either a major dome collapse triggering a large pyroclastic flow or a vulcanian explosion of the lava dome.

edit on 3-2-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Unrestricted access to the details of deadly eruptions

Details of around 2,000 major volcanic eruptions which occurred over the last 1.8 million years have been made available in a new open access database, complied by scientists at the University of Bristol with colleagues from the UK, US, Colombia and Japan.

Read more at: phys.org...

Just in case anyone is interested

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I found these short videos really interesting, and didn't see them using ATS search. Here's hoping these aren't duplicates.

The first is a digital elevation model of the dome and glacier growth at Mount St. Helens over the past 8 years. (uploaded by USGS 29 January 2013)

This 2nd video is older, but is a time-series of the dome growth from 2004-2008. It is really cool to watch the mountain get bigger. (also uploaded on the 29th)

BTW, Mount St. Helens is fairly quiet at the moment.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Locals nervous over Naples 'super volcano'

I have read that there are several Supervolcanoes around the world. The number I have seen most often is that there are 13 of them. Well, here is one that looks like it is trying to upstage our Yellowstone Supervolcano.

The ground of the Campi Flegrei ("burning fields"), also known as the Phlegraean Fields, has risen more in recent weeks than it has in a long time.

This does not necessary indicate a heightened risk of an eruption, however, says Thomas Wiersberg, a scientific drilling expert for the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) in Potsdam.

There are concerns that a magma chamber under the fields - presumably connected to the one under Mount Vesuvius, east of Naples - is filling up, the rising pressure possibly heightening the danger of an eruption.

As Wiersberg pointed out, however, the two episodes of considerable ground uplift since the 1960s were not followed by an eruption. The uplift in the early 1970s - about 1.50 metres in three years - was somewhat greater than the current one, he said.

If you read that last section of external text it does look like, as PuterMan stated in another thread, they are looking for more news exposure and fear mongering to increase their grants.

He said the drilling project aimed in part to monitor the Phlegraean Fields over the long term and gain more knowledge of what had occurred earlier in the super volcano.

"First we've got to understand what's happening under the surface," Wiersberg said. Then it may be possible to say more about the likelihood of an eruption.

Fears of nearby residents - and some scientists - that the drilling could "awaken" the super volcano have proved to be unfounded.

"Technically, everything went smoothly. No additional volcanic activities were triggered, nor were there any problems with gases or fluids," he noted.

edit on 5-2-2013 by happykat39 because: typo

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Most of the Sciences do things to try to acquire more or continued funding. It is not unusual to use any form of trickery to gain this money. You are dealing with some of the smartest minds in the world so would you think that the techniques they use would be easily recognized?

It could be worse. Medical research looses money if they find cures but gain longevity for finding new treatments.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Might have some action at Volcano Galeras in Columbia due to the big earthquake being real close if not right underneath.

Links: geology.com... & en.wikipedia.org...

Alot of eruption history so I am sure this shook things up.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Not that I know of, it may be subject to a Maori Treaty Rights Claim though, they seem to think everything is theirs because they were here first. Not sure though.
When ever they claim something under the Treaty of Waitangi they say "there will be no restrictions to public access "
yet Tarawera Volcano, which is already under their jurisdiction, they charge the public to go on there.

Tongariro and Rhuapehu are under claim too.
And all the water in the rivers and lakes

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Cool, thats worth saving for future reference
A lot of work must have gone into that.
Just a had a play with the search page and its a lot quicker and cleaner than Smithsonian to use

Thanks

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Seems like Hekla is acting up again in Iceland. There is quake swarm southeast from Hekla and nearest helicorder shows harmonics:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Italy's Mt. Etna erupts:

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join