It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Handgun Owners.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This has to be the dumbest thing i have ever seen. A newspaper has posted the address to every legally licensed pistol owners in two counties in the state of new york. Wouldn't these revealings be targets for criminals to steal licensed guns and use them in criminal acts? Where's the invasion of privacy stop?

The map indicates the addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. Each dot represents an individual permit holder licensed to own a handgun — a pistol or revolver. The data does not include owners of long guns — rifles or shotguns — which can be purchased without a permit. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location owns a weapon, just that they are licensed to do so.

Check out the map here -> www.lohud.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Its Public information... It isnt really about privacy.

That said, I would say these people are now safer. Any criminal with a brain will keep this "list" handy and avoid those houses. =)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

Wow this is not cool at all!

I swear news reporters have stopped using their brains or logical thinking. There is no such thing as journalism anymore.

I dont' think they should be posting personal information like that. Who knows what someone with the wrong intentions could use this for.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

I still think its ridiculous to just blatantly shove this information in front of people's faces. A criminal could jot down the address, wait in a car, check out the law abiding citizens daily routine, wait for the right time, break in and steal their gun.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

hmmmm.

Show where the guns are, criminals try to take the guns, people get shot and killed. Neighbors get angry and demand more gun control.

From assault weapons to hand guns....all gone. Yup, sounds about right to me.

Peace

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donahue

I still think its ridiculous to just blatantly shove this information in front of people's faces. A criminal could jot down the address, wait in a car, check out the law abiding citizens daily routine, wait for the right time, break in and steal their gun.

Would be much easier to check the list to make sure potential target is not on it.

This is why gun registration is unconstitutional.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well, if there was one group of people that would be able to mitigate the damage caused by having their addresses publicly posted by irresponsible journalist...

Its responsible gun owners.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Yes, as they could scour the trash after Christmas to see who has a nice new 50 inch television.

Again, this information is already public. Any criminal who wanted to could have gotten this same info months ago.

I agree it was "shady" but again, since nothing that already wasnt public was published- Its just...Meh. =/

I see your point but the fix is not to stop the "Press" from reporting, but to change the law if that is of concern to you- For me, it is not. I hang a sign in front of my garage with a picture of a .38 that says "Intruders will be shot- Survivors will be shot again."- In my mind I want the criminals to know I am armed because they generally choose the path of the least resistance... But thats just me I guess.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidguy

Would be much easier to check the list to make sure potential target is not on it.

This is why gun registration is unconstitutional.

Totally agree.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
These people are, at best, complete idiots.

Worst? Complicit in TPTB plans to destroy the US as a stepping stone to world domination.

Think I'm full of BS? Wait.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I can see a posible lawsuit or two commi ng.....
What if one or two of these places now get broken into, or even somebody could get killed over this kind of info being published....this reslly is a form of yellow journalism, and a bit of psywar though nobody will call it that.....
Ikagine having a permit because of some past threats by someone...now they know you are armed and can show up with superior firepower....well you get what i mean anyways....its just not that bright of a thing to do, and it will cause division between people...almost like inciting hassles for the permitees...
A blatant attempt at more mind control....setting part of society against the other parts....
Should be illegal IMHO

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
-Alright guys...Seriously.

Again, this information is (and has always been) public. Yopu do not have confidentiality in registering a firearm (nor have you in many states.) Some states like KY do not require registration, others like NY do.

IF there is a problem here, it is with the LAW and not the PRESS. This same problem was here a year ago (you may not have known but it was...)

-This isnt a "conspiracy" by TPTB - Or if it is, it is one the Voters accepted. This is local States law which is not being broken. Again, change the law before blaming the media.
edit on 24-12-2012 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN

Again, this information is (and has always been) public. Yopu do not have confidentiality in registering a firearm (nor have you in many states.) Some states like KY do not require registration, others like NY do.

IF there is a problem here, it is with the LAW and not the PRESS. This same problem was here a year ago (you may not have known but it was...)

-This isnt a "conspiracy" by TPTB - Or if it is, it is one the Voters accepted. This is local States law which is not being broken. Again, change the law before blaming the media.

this somehow treats the journalist and press as automatons, who are not responsible for their actions

They are responsible for their actions, and their choice is to put this information in the faces of people who may not have known

Don't treat the journalists as non humans

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Could it be, in light of the recent massacre and anti fire arm sentiments, the news paper is trying to psychologically provoke the return of these guns from the people listed, in a name and shame type campaign?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Well now all the burglars and assorted criminals for counties around will know two things ...depending on which kind of criminal they are.

#1. They'll know by who is not on the list, who is better than even odds...NOT going to be a profession handling a gun or otherwise trained and capable. It's not a sure thing...but if you're in the business to care, this list sure eliminates and highlights the ones to avoid. Among this, after all, would be all your cops and other officials.

#2. If someone IS in the market for a gun....Here is your shopping list and look no further. If someone has a permit, they almost certainly have more than just ONE gun. Even my Grandmother has more than just one. lol... Just check down the list and wait for someone to leave for awhile......it's time to loot and scoot, thanks to the local Newspaper.

I'm sure criminals everywhere will agree, publishing this was very helpful indeed.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Credenceskynyrd

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN

this somehow treats the journalist and press as automatons, who are not responsible for their actions

They are responsible for their actions, and their choice is to put this information in the faces of people who may not have known

Don't treat the journalists as non humans

But again (not treating Journalists as anything) This is already public... Isnt this the same as blaming the gun for a murder??? You are blaming the press for publishing already public information.

Look, I am no supporter of the press... BUT, You (if you live in NY) have the power to change the LAW which would then give you confidentiality from the Press... That is my point.

It really is the same argument of folks blaming guns on murder and not the person shooting. You blame the Press for reporting already public info and not the LAW.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
BTW...for all those folks who say this is public information as if any gomer with a curious itch can just pull it right up? Please do go find a link independent of this story to show the same data they just published. Or......if it's not online, link the instructions for requesting it.

Public and Publicly Accessible are two real different things. This IS public information (it shouldn't be..IMO) However, I won't just admit I'm wrong, I'll thank someone to actually find the data here in another source.....as I've looked for other reasons and rolled blanks. 100's of sites claim to have it for a price and a long time ago I did have access to one for P.I. work in helping someone, but easily accessible it wasn't.

This just threw it into the public square to offer anyone to make the best use of it. I'll bet if you published the home addys of the reporters...they'd sue for one thing or another, if not harassment and they might even have a valid point. Being reporters doesn't make doing this right.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
well, i was gonna but WRabbit already did so .... yeah, what he said

public info is what the white pages contains and can be found in any commercial establishment, anwhere.
public accessible info that MUST be officially requested is not the same thing.

the poster who said ... this is why a registry is UnConstitutional is absolutely correct.

the poster who claims this is not different than blaming the gun ... how do you figure ?
these published permit holders might Not even own a gun, yet, they are now most certainly targets.

the first one broke into (and there will be many) should sue this rag mag right out of business.

in instances like these, any holder (now listed) should publish any and all "publicly accessible info" regarding the 'journalist' associated with the article (that includes their dirty laundry) ... fair is fair.
they are in a public position and they are also 'licensed', so, they should be fair gaime.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I think i have to go with what Wrabbit2000 had to say. If i were a criminal i would use the list to avoid getting shot. Criminals can pick up guns easily on the black market without risking being shot in the process. I think they would avoid those addresses with known weapon ownership.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

I think its bizarre but no. If anything, criminals will be sure to avoid those homes/people. If they're smart, which theyre not.

Another reason why there should be no registrations/licensing. First comes registrations then comes confiscations.

edit on 24-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join