It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween Decorations Carry Haunting Message of Forced Labor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Found this article today. Really interesting.

"If you occasionally buy this product, please kindly resend this letter to the World Human Right Organization. Thousands people here who are under the persicution of the Chinese Communist Party Government will thank and remember you forever."

Link to Story

edit on 24-12-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Mon Dec 24 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I was researching this for my own curiosity a short time ago and then found your post. It looks like a very interesting story although I think the lady did precisely the wrong thing with the letter. The best of intentions and all... I know..and I'm not sure how the best route would have been. However, people see China as some big warm fuzzy teddy bear or something that just kinda had some past problems.
It took just a few minutes researching the camp this letter references to turn my stomach and shut down my ideas of a thread on it. Not on Xmas Eve....and it shows how dark and ugly China really is at some levels.

Re-Education by labor Camps eh? Such are the terms used by Human Rights Watch and others for this camp in particular and the network of others like it. Wow..... The 'Other side' of things.

Why this was a bad idea to just throw out to the public though? Well, if the Chinese figure out precisely WHO wrote that ....and as her note indicates, time there can span years.....I'd say they will safely assume re-education has failed and..AHEM...terminate treatment....and the inmate. I don't see Beijing being warm and fuzzy toward a problem citizen already who then makes a world problem for them. Errr...

I hope the author, if authentic, isn't still IN that camp anyway.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Or......
One could just avoid buying cheap Chinese crap.
Especially something that could so easily crafted at a fair price.
1 piece of OSB, cardboard template for gravestones, a can of granite paint and a can of black...
Really, I avoid things made outside of the US just like I'd avoid the black herpes.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Have a Happy Warm Fuzzy BS and HOAX filled new year. Come on it sat for a year and she's a crazed volunteer of somesort and then it comes out just before Christmas. Hey I gotta bridge for ya!!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
Have a Happy Warm Fuzzy BS and HOAX filled new year. Come on it sat for a year and she's a crazed volunteer of somesort and then it comes out just before Christmas. Hey I gotta bridge for ya!!

It seems a question and unverified on the letter itself......but the camp it's claimed to be from? Google it...just don't click images if you just ate. The place or what is claimed to happen within it makes Gitmo look like Camp Snoopy and that is all dated material far far before this letter popped up.

Err... At least it brought some attention to a place within a network of "prisons" some didn't know existed. I sure didn't. I guess China does have it's own version of the Soviet Gulag system.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It is good it brings attention to such issues but I'm a little uncertain about the letter. I've had quite a few friends from China and Japan and the grammar in that letter is a bit too perfect. Even the ones who spoke English really well still wrote with odd grammar many times since there is a big difference between ours and theirs. Sometimes even the words they chose would sound funny as they tried a little too hard or couldn't find the words they were searching for.

It is possible but the only way I see that is if there was a native English speaking person who took translation, raised them or they spent a great deal of time in an English speaking country. One girl I knew had taken English in school and even went on to try and major in it in college. She was light years ahead of others but even she still had issues.
edit on 25-12-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Whether the letter came from a person actually trapped in a system that they can't get of and are suffering from mistreatment while being " Re-educated " or a well meaning person trying to get the world to care about the abuses that are happening in China right now, is not really that important. Getting the message out is the important thing.
It still brings to light horrible human right issues in a country that is trying to integrate into a world where these camps are abhorrent to all right thinking people.
Sadly China being so powerful means the rest of the world will probably do nothing but play lip service to them.
China is now a major force in the world of finance and produces huge quantities of goods at a price that western countries find very difficult to compete with.
Made in China, no longer means cheap tat, they make very good, high end goods, which is what has made them the financial power that they now are in the world.
People choose what they buy, largely based on price and boycotting Chinese goods would make them rethink their methods, but can you really see it happening on a large enough scale for the Chinese government to take note and improve the lives of its own citizens.
Sadly its not something I would expect to see in my lifetime and sadly its appears to be a problem that can only be overcome by the Chinese people themselves and if it reaches a tipping point, I hope and pray that it happens in as bloodlessly a away possible with the Chinese military siding with its people rather its government, after all Chinese soldiers have families that have to suffer at the hands of these policies and choose the right side and maybe a bloodless coup could be possible?
But sadly I'm probably just a dreamer but sooner or later China has to join the rest of the right thinking world and start treating people with the care and rights that all humans deserve.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

I read about this in the UK news. Eventually some investigators went into the shop and found deplorable conditions. There was the smell of burned flesh in the air from people being reprimanded with an electric cattle prod. This story doesn't sound all that far fetched to me. KMart spokesperson says they did not find forced labor conditions at the plant but who knows who is lying? My money is on the folks with something to lose by telling the truth.

top topics

join