It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milk prices could double after 'dairy cliff' An expiring farm bill will boost costs.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
$7 for gallon of milk

The current agriculture bill expired this summer, and temporary aid to farmers is set to expire on Jan. 1. That includes a dairy subsidy that allows the government to buy up milk if prices below half of the $3.65 national average. Without that plan in place,the per-gallon price will jump to roughly $7.

money.msn.com...

I went to the store on Friday to get a chicken to put in the rotissarie oven, and the $7 chicken 6 weeks ago is now $11 !!!

So, I thought I'd buy some chicken fried steaks, which a couple months ago would've been $2-3, were now doubled in price! (Usually I have a side of beef in the freezer but I'm out right now till I can afford one).

Now, looks like we won't be able to afford milk either!!!!

Guess we'll be buying alot more almond milk, and the the kids will have to learn to like it in their cereal.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Now is a great time to go vegan. People don't need to eat anything that comes from an animal, including its corpse or juices. The only life-form that should be drinking cows' milk are baby cows, and even they stop drinking it within a short amount of time. So these high prices for meat and milk and related products are nothing more than charging you a lot more money for substances the body doesn't need. And when your children get used to eating real food, they may thank you for the rest of their lives.
edit on 24-12-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

My thoughts exactly. Vegetarian is about my only choice
I sure will miss steak and chicken though.
edit on 24-12-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Its already $4.50 a gal here in Kalifornia

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Human beings shouldn't be drinking a cow's milk anyway. Are you a cow? (well some people I know personally might fall into that category! :lol

Humans beings have adapted to be able to drink milk, it's not a natural thing for us.

If you study this map, you'll soon discover that it's really only Westernized countries and Europeans that are able to drink milk.

I've found as I have grown into adulthood, I can no longer stomach even a 6 oz. glass of milk without getting very sick. I've asked around, and quite a few people I know also feel the same.

Besides, unless you have Bessie out back -- you're drinking a certain percentage of puss from the infected udders anyway. Granted it's pasturized and homogenized, but it's still in there...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
reply to post by Aleister

My thoughts exactly. Vegetarian is about my only choice
I sure will miss steak and chicken though.
edit on 24-12-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

You may be in for a surprise. I was the biggest meat eater I knew, never met a hamburger I didn't like (one actually, made with eggs in it, yech). So when I gave up meat I thought my eating enjoyment was at an end. But surprise of surprises, from that point on every meal has been a feast. Every one. I have a lentils and rice dish that I could eat everyday and not grow tired of (lots of the secret is in the seasonings).

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I raise chickens and the price of laying feed has went up 4 to 6 dollars within the last 6 months depending the store. This tells me both eggs and chicken will continue to increase in price in the grocery store.

This is what you get when you play real monopoly with monopoly money. The problem is when this game is over it won't be as easy as collecting the pieces, folding the game and putting it back under the bed.

There is a 'fiscal cliff', the problem is we've already been pushed over the edge and most don't realize we are in free fall.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I do like my cheese though. I suppose even the generic processed cheese product slices will go up in price too.

It cost me $37 to make a lasanga this past weekend. The reason? The prices on the cheese/dariy products. The ricotta was like $5-$6 for one tub, the cottage cheese was $4-something. The motzerella was like $8. Not surprisingly, the noodles were the cheapest thing.

To all the vegetarians, I'm waving! It's not my thing, but I get it and respect it. I just learned over the weekend that for every pound of beef, a cow has to eat 10lbs of grass.

So, we won't be eating meat in outter space apparently! If we ever leave this rock we'll all be vegan or vegetarians!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I'm paying $3.89 here right now.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
First off, Its the creameries and processors who are causing the milk prices to jack up, the dairy farmer is still getting crapped on in a bad way, and has been for years.

As for drinking store bought milk, I ask people why? They have taken every good thing out of it by pasteurizing and Homogenizing it, so in a sense there really is no use for drinking milk, that is unless your getting it fresh out of the tap, Like i have been my entire life.

This whole debate about raw milk sickens me to death. I've drank from many a bulk tank over the years and im not drying of some disease, nor has anyone else i know that drinks raw milk. In fact its been over 20 years since i was last sick come to think about it. I may catch a mild cold, but its gone in less than 24 hours. The last time i had the flu or anything serious was when i was a child. I also have drank my share of Colostrum as well, and anyone that thinks that is gross, you should have it before letting the mental image turn you off on it. Colostrum has been a big part in many dairy families lives around here.

As for the price of milk doubling, I've been seeing this coming for a time. Input costs are though the roof right now as far as livestock goes. With last years yields, It was bound to.

Just be glad you not a Hog producer, there are, and going to be many more loosing it all. except the corporate owned farms of course. The small guy is a thing of the past, those of us who are still here have a short time left before its our turn. But of course that's exactly what they want.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Now would be a good time to go back to the days of WW2 and plant Freedom Gardens!!!

Originally posted by Pegasus2000
First off, Its the creameries and processors who are causing the milk prices to jack up, the dairy farmer is still getting crapped on in a bad way, and has been for years.

As for drinking store bought milk, I ask people why? They have taken every good thing out of it by pasteurizing and Homogenizing it, so in a sense there really is no use for drinking milk, that is unless your getting it fresh out of the tap, Like i have been my entire life.

This whole debate about raw milk sickens me to death. I've drank from many a bulk tank over the years and im not drying of some disease, nor has anyone else i know that drinks raw milk. In fact its been over 20 years since i was last sick come to think about it. I may catch a mild cold, but its gone in less than 24 hours. The last time i had the flu or anything serious was when i was a child. I also have drank my share of Colostrum as well, and anyone that thinks that is gross, you should have it before letting the mental image turn you off on it. Colostrum has been a big part in many dairy families lives around here.

As for the price of milk doubling, I've been seeing this coming for a time. Input costs are though the roof right now as far as livestock goes. With last years yields, It was bound to.

Just be glad you not a Hog producer, there are, and going to be many more loosing it all. except the corporate owned farms of course. The small guy is a thing of the past, those of us who are still here have a short time left before its our turn. But of course that's exactly what they want.

Quite sad. I've been worried about the agriculture field since watching Food Inc for Sociology in high school. Is your family deciding to sell the farm to a corporation?
edit on 25-12-2012 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Stop buying it, let these crooks and their companies go bankrupt and go away. This will open the door for honest farmers to sell their milk, and I bet it won't be 8-12 dollars a gallon. The same goes for all these other companies who keep jacking prices up on their products. Let them go bankrupt so that maybe an honest buisnessman can start an honest company and deal with Americans again. And make damn sure that these new products cannot be marked by kosher tax.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fylgje
Stop buying it, let these crooks and their companies go bankrupt and go away. This will open the door for honest farmers to sell their milk, and I bet it won't be 8-12 dollars a gallon. The same goes for all these other companies who keep jacking prices up on their products. Let them go bankrupt so that maybe an honest buisnessman can start an honest company and deal with Americans again. And make damn sure that these new products cannot be marked by kosher tax.

Good old fashioned milk delivery! I never thought of that.
It would probably be healthier too.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Thanks for catching this OP.. I just saw it headlined around for the House trying to come up with bills that will prevent the radical spike in milk prices in the next month. Yet another law set to change by statute in the same month. The 'Milk Cliff'. Ugh...... how many other little things, which by themselves would be nothing much, are hitting within the same 30 day period to create the 'Perfect Storm'???

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think this is a good illustration of the unseen influences government has on our day-to-day lives.

Market and price manipulation on a scale that we aren't even aware of.

Let's get government out of the market manipulation, suck up the high prices, and then it should settle as the market, the true market bears it's weight.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah... there are a bunch right now. I was reading over the Court News site I watch and another case is sitting there now with a Family owned Oyster Farm operation in California. It supplies a large % of the Oysters for the California Market for starters. This farm has been there since the 1950's apparently and now the Feds say they won't renew a permit to allow the farm to exist as it always has because they want the area added to a wildlife refuge.

I hope no one around here likes Oysters.

Oyster Farmer Says Feds Are Killing Tradition

So many attacks from so many totally unrelated directions on food, energy and general costs of living. Something will have to give when things start skyrocketing ....and all these things are combining right about...now!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Um I've been all over the middle east and most people there drink milk. Camel and goat mostly, but some cow. So it's not just western and European.

And this sucks for me cause I go through 2 gallons a week.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Here is what will really get your goat. Or your cow. whatever..

When you spend almost four bucks for a gallon of milk, the farmer, gets only 1.25 avg. That is it, 1.25 for all that.
Who gets the rest? Your grocery store.

Dairy farming is considered one of the worst jobs to have. The average dairy farmer only makes 33k a year.

So if prices do go up, you think the farmer is going to benefit? I doubt it.

Milk is as much as theft as gas is.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If you think it is government manipulation, you got another think coming. I suppose you think it is the government that is affecting the music industry, it wouldn't be the music industry manipulation itself, would it?

How many battles with record labels and artists have you heard of?
edit on 30-12-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We hear that complaint from teh watermen all the time. Oh the tradition! Oh the poor watermen! They have been here for generations!

If stipulations were not put on oysters, rockfish and crabs, they would be eradicated. It is because the government interfered and said, if you want them to be here in 10 years, you are gonna have to suck it up.

Now crabs and rockfish have made a huge comeback.

Oysters are very important to water ecosystems. They need to be protected. Not antiquated jobs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join