It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gannett Outs Gun Permit Holders in Upstate NY with Interactive Map

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
SOURCE

Here you have a liberal media organization revealing the names and addresses of gun permit holders to the general public, just because the information is a "matter of public record". Is this really prudent by Gannett? Couldn't they be held liable if someone on that map became a target of some anti-gun lunatic who used the map to find their victim?

On the other hand, looking at the map gives me a warm fuzzy Christmasy feeling inside knowing that in uber-liberal areas of New York there are this many registered guns. This doesn't include the unregistered ones. When push comes to shove, you can plainly see that the US military and all police agencies combined are WAY outnumbered.

Viva la Second Amendment!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Too stupid to realize that they just gave the criminals a roadmap for future guns runs???? The facist mind is very interesting indeed......

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
All one needs to do is post the information on the fella that decided to oust the law abiding permit holders and see what he thinks himself. See how he feels to be 'labeled'.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Seems to be a gun free zone around a rather large golf course??? Gun free or permit free zone. Kinda makes you wonder.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
Seems to be a gun free zone around a rather large golf course??? Gun free or permit free zone. Kinda makes you wonder.

If you are a golfer you can understand why they should be gun free zones

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
SOURCE

Here you have a liberal media organization revealing the names and addresses of gun permit holders to the general public, just because the information is a "matter of public record". Is this really prudent by Gannett? Couldn't they be held liable if someone on that map became a target of some anti-gun lunatic who used the map to find their victim?

On the other hand, looking at the map gives me a warm fuzzy Christmasy feeling inside knowing that in uber-liberal areas of New York there are this many registered guns. This doesn't include the unregistered ones. When push comes to shove, you can plainly see that the US military and all police agencies combined are WAY outnumbered.

Hate to break this to you... it is perfectly legal to do what they did. For 15 years Newspapers have been publishing peoples identities that are sex predators. If it is in the public record that means it is open to be public information. You realize as well the second amendment really did not have to do with gun ownership per se. It was a vehicle so that armed militias could resist an unjust government. The framers had no idea it would turn out like this... a cycle of violence with no end in sight. As long as good guys need guns for protection and bad guys need guns for protection against the good guys this is a no win situation. I am just curious.. How many people have to die?

"Public records are documents or pieces of information that are not considered confidential. For example, in California, when a couple fills out a marriage license application, they have the option of checking the box as to whether the marriage is "confidential" (Record will be closed, and not opened to public once recorded) or "public" (record will become public record once recorded). Basically, if the marriage record is public, a copy of the record can be ordered from the county in which the marriage occurred.[1]""
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 24-12-2012 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

The utter irony would be the thieves going to the houses where there weren't fire arms present.

Who are the liberals going to be angry at then?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If I was in the market to buy a home in that area, I'd use this to find the dense owner ship pockets then move there.

Responsible gun owners make great neighbors.
edit on 24-12-2012 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

Just because it is perfectly legal doesn't make it the right thing to do.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by GArnold

Why not? It is posted when your born.. when you die.. when you buy a house.. your property taxes are likely printed as well. They have done exposes in the Indy Star where they use nothing but Public Information to nail people. When you get arrested it is printed. This is a matter of public record. Believe it or not there are quite a few people who do not want to live in Neighborhoods with a lot of guns present.

I have thought for awhile that people on both sides of the abortion debate are impossible to talk to. They are hard headed and set in their beliefs. They do not hold a candle to people in the 2nd amendment debate. Most of the gun proponents I have met have never actually read the second amendment.,, have no idea of any of the cases that have shaped our current law. They just know to say second amendment when it looks like anyone may infringe on their gun ownership. Or "Guns do not kill people, people kill people." (which is ironic if they ever bothered to look into it. 2009 there was 9,100 people killed by gun homicide in the US. In the UK where guns are regulated there was 39.) You simply cannot compare a society with gun restrictions with one that doesn't in terms of violence. There is always way way more violence in societies with guns...
Or "Fight fire with fire". which by its very nature is a circular argument with no end in sight. If you need a gun to protect yourself from the badguys... the badguys will want two guns or a gun that is more lethal than the good guys.. eventually it cycles out of control until you reach a time like 2012.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

SOURCE

An anti-gun loon killing a gun owner? Now THAT would make for some medal-worthy pundit gymnastics.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold

SOURCE

Hate to break this to you... it is perfectly legal to do what they did. For 15 years Newspapers have been publishing peoples identities that are sex predators. If it is in the public record that means it is open to be public information. You realize as well the second amendment really did not have to do with gun ownership per se. It was a vehicle so that armed militias could resist an unjust government. The framers had no idea it would turn out like this... a cycle of violence with no end in sight. As long as good guys need guns for protection and bad guys need guns for protection against the good guys this is a no win situation. I am just curious.. How many people have to die?

"Public records are documents or pieces of information that are not considered confidential. For example, in California, when a couple fills out a marriage license application, they have the option of checking the box as to whether the marriage is "confidential" (Record will be closed, and not opened to public once recorded) or "public" (record will become public record once recorded). Basically, if the marriage record is public, a copy of the record can be ordered from the county in which the marriage occurred.[1]""
en.wikipedia.org...

Is it more prudent and beneficial to the public to publish names of sex offenders or people who have a gun permit? Sex offenders are a legitimate danger to the public, gun owners are not. But alas, you have stumbled upon the reason they posted the names - to suggest that LEGAL gun owners are a danger to the public.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther

SOURCE

An anti-gun loon killing a gun owner? Now THAT would make for some medal-worthy pundit gymnastics.

They could do other things - throw bricks through windows, set their trash cans on fire, key their cars - vandalism that they think is perfectly fine to commit against people they disagree with.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther

SOURCE

Woman Goes on Trial In Ambush Shooting
By Donna St. George, Washington Post newspaper, Wednesday, January 24, 2001; Page B01
In the courtroom of Judge Michael L. Rankin, the central question facing 12 jurors this week is whether Barbara Ann Graham -- who has also been known by her married names of Lipscomb and Martin -- was so despondent and enraged by the killing of her son that she took aim at 22-year-old Kikko Smith two days after her son's funeral last January.
In the months after her son's death, Graham became active in Mothers on the Move Spiritually, a Prince George's County group that helped organize the Million Mom March last year against gun violence. Graham spoke out at the march and helped memorialize the dead. Two months later, she was arrested in the shooting of Smith. Upon her arrest, police seized two guns from her nightstand and two more from elsewhere in her house. Still, the women from Million Moms are backing her at her trial. The group's president, Bernadette Trowell, has come to court to show her support, even though Trowell cannot sit in the courtroom because she may be called as a witness.
www.washingtonpost.com...

It turns out that the Washington Post link isn't working anymore. So, here is another link.
link
edit on 24-12-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thing is, this may hurt non-permit holders more than permit holders. Imagine you're a criminal; you have a map of all the homes with gun owners; and consequently all the unarmed, defenseless homes as well...which do you choose?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Do what I say, not as I do. Hypocrites.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by GArnold

Why not? It is posted when your born.. when you die.. when you buy a house.. your property taxes are likely printed as well.

Because the purpose was to try to shame or damage the reputation of people that have done nothing illegal by the standards of the law or their community. They also may have opened up certain persons for an increased chance of robbery or attack. Criminals may decide to target homes with guns because of the quick liquidity available. They could decide to target homes without guns because they know the residents will be easier victims.

There is the possibility of many unintended consequences.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Jules
Thing is, this may hurt non-permit holders more than permit holders. Imagine you're a criminal; you have a map of all the homes with gun owners; and consequently all the unarmed, defenseless homes as well...which do you choose?

In New York (born and raised there) you don't need a permit to own a long gun, only a handgun. For every red or blue dot you see, I am quite sure there are MANY more homes that have shotguns and long guns inside and owners who know how to use them. I would hope that criminals aren't so stupid that they would think they would be safe. I'm sure many are, though.

edit on 24-12-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Just thought I would let you guys know that it is not an accurate depiction. I am a NY state handgun permit owner and I know a lot of friends of mine who live near me but neither my name or any of my friends names are on this map, So i don't know where they got there information or data for this map, but there are probably thousands and thousands more owners than this map is showing. I am from upstate Saratoga are and there is only one dot? lol yea ok!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lord Jules

If I were to turn to criminality I don't think I'd put a lot of thought into the crimes I commit, because then I wouldn't be a criminal in the first place.

<<   2  3 >>

join