It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Are Delusional...........

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcx1942
The Drake equation is not science fact but it is a good way to estimate advanced civilizations in the Galaxy.
Drake Equation Wiki

I found a cool site that lets you tweak the parameters for the equation here:www.fennzart.com...

I am sure there is intelligent life out there. S&F!

edit on 12/24/2012 by mcx1942 because: edited

Thanks for the video...I know there is an equation floating around that echos my sentiments. Not even I need to be a math genius to know there is no way in hell that we are alone.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
If you dont believe then watch this... I dare you, only people witih small minds that dont want to believe the truth would deny the truth...

Thanks for sharing the video...slightly off topic...but connected just the same...

Does not really matter to me if the Anunnaki existed or exist or whether Nubiru exist or not, even they cannot be the only other life that exist. It is mathematically impossible.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
Except you neglect the possibility that the rest of our universe is manifested only when we as conscious beings observe it and it could be that all we see is only a product of us looking and expecting. (we don't know). Just saying

Well if I am to believe only what I see and only what I can prove then your right, by the way did you write something here? I am not sure I can see it....oh wait it's my imagination. Are those my fingers typing? Nope it's not me its a computer simulation...oh well just saying...carry on.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
Just curious...do you practice any religion?

No.

Do you believe in anything that you did not require proof over?

Yes, but those I just think of them as more or less likely to be true.

Possibility? How about probability?

Maybe "probability" is a more correct word than "possibility", I'm not that good with words, even in Portuguese.
Could you please explain the difference between "possibility" and "probability" in this context? Thanks in advance.

Even it hit you over the head you probably still wouldn't believe.

In that case I would have hard proof of it's existence, so I would believe it.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What if you did have the proof, would you show it to the world? What if they are here but know how we would respond and decided to not tell anyone. We would not even believe truth if it conked us on the head. We would still find a way to explain it. I don't really need proof. I believe it 100%. We are not alone here or anywhere else.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Yupper. There are more stars in the Milky Way alone than grains of sand on every beach in the world. More than every human that has ever been born on this planet. If one in a million of them have planets around them, and one in a million of them have planets capable of sustaining life (class-M in trek-speak)....well...you do the math lol. That's alot of wasted real-estate if there's nothing else out there. I personally think that it's extremely arrogant and as you said, deluded, to think that we are alone in the universe when there we are composed of 5 of the most abundant elements in the universe. Even Neil Degrasse Tyson hypothesizes that life may even be inevitable. Just a consequence of the base components of stars coming together and interacting. Having said that....I don't pay much attention to UFO stories and the like as the U in UFO stands for [i[unidentified. In my mind, if you see something and you don't know what it is, I believe the conversation should end there. I think if there is intelligent life out there, if they were advanced enough to accomplish interstellar travel, they would be smart enough to see what we do to eachother and our planet, and, as such, would avoid us like the plague. If they do know about us, I guarantee we're the laughing-stock of the universe.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

WE ARE NOT ALONE

Doesn't really matter how you do the math, there is NO WAY in any way shape or form a common sense view that can tell me or any of you that we are alone in this Universe.
BAW33

I understand your point! It's possible! The universe is approximately 13.7 billion years old. The earth is approximately 4.6 billion years old. We really don't know, but there are approximately billions of other planets in countless solar systems. We just don't know.

With that said, we have absolutely no tangible, physical proof that life exists anywhere else! It would seem incredible that life of some form does not exist somewhere in the universe?

Unfortunately, I doubt during our generation, just like the thousands before us, that we will ever find life elsewhere! Intelligent or otherwise.

It's possible, you would think so, makes sense, hope we are not alone
Since man has walked on earth, we have had the uncontrollable urge to look toward the stars, looking, searching, speculating. The facts remain, we have found no sign of the existence of life beyond the earth to date.

And as much as we may wish to believe that we have been contacted already, as far as I know, we have absolutely no tangible, physical proof of such contact. I know, I know, I know.....Ancient Aliens and all of the others......very interesting, provocative, but just questions and speculation, conjecture.

I'm sure I will be beaten to death over my observations, but if you're honest, and live in reality, we just don't know and in 'our' lifetime, we will probably never know. Peace my friends. Merry Christmas and have a Happy, Healthy New Year!!

edit on 24-12-2012 by ItDepends because: sentence restructure

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Except you neglect the possibility that the rest of our universe is manifested only when we as conscious beings observe it and it could be that all we see is only a product of us looking and expecting. (we don't know). Just saying

It seems backwards thinking is becoming the rule of the age. This to me is satanically inspired new age very zietgiest. Heaven is hell black is white night is day and everything including the universe manifests in our conscious... and here's the fun part," when we observe it " Makes no sense at all yet because it's repeated (chanted) over and over you soon have others believing it.

How do you observe something that hasn't manifested yet ? If the universe doesn't really exist how do we "observe it " so it comes into existence ? Lets not complicate matters more than they already are by having these kind of wacky ideas out there to only muddy the waters. We perceive creation and become conscious of it because it exists. Not, we perceive something before it exists and that's the only way it does exist because nothing exists accept when we observe that which does not exist.

Are we clear ?

edit on 24-12-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Not sure I would call them Humans, however, I think it is hysterical that "scientists" think for life to exist on other planets it would need to have Earth like atmosphere conditions. Anyone been in the ocean? Unless I am mistaken the atmospheric conditions there are considerably different and although we don't consider many of those species to be intelligent, I have seen behavior to the contrary. We, also, have not explored more than 10% of any oceanic atmosphere.

Yes, you call them a human, and they would not respond or understand that in which you speak. But, as far as Earth, man is the most intelligent out of all the creatures here. The others (animals, bugs, etc.) are just basic bare bones vessels that live by a set, of set parameters.

For the other places, they will resemble that of man.

Before man was on Earth, there was others on Jupiter, but they destroyed that planet, and it looks like it does today, because of the actions of others.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

It seems backwards thinking is becoming the rule of the age. This to me is satanically inspired new age very zietgiest. Heaven is hell black is white night is day and everything including the universe manifests in our conscious... and here's the fun part," when we observe it " Makes no sense at all yet because it's repeated (chanted) over and over you soon have others believing it.

How do you observe something that hasn't manifested yet ? If the universe doesn't really exist how do we "observe it " so it comes into existence ? Lets not complicate matters more than they already are by having these kind of wacky ideas out there to only muddy the waters. We perceive creation and become conscious of it because it exists. Not, we perceive something before it exists and that's the only way it does exist because nothing exists accept when we observe that which does not exist.

Are we clear ?

Sorry Randy,
but I find it amusing when a Christian refers to any kind of thinking outside of what's written in the Bible as being "satanically inspired", especially when it comes to the cosmos and the possibility of life not being limited to this planet.

Jesus came to define morality, and he sealed his message with the ultimate sacrifice. I don't believe he meant for us to close our minds to the reality around us. He ushered in a new age and brought a new understanding that was rejected at first, but wound up changing the world.

I am in the camp of those who believe that Jesus's message has been distorted by those who fear the change it will bring. I believe that the Bible is incomplete, and that without the testimonies of ALL 12 apostles, we will never understand its true meaning.
edit on 24-12-2012 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

I am in the camp of those who believe that Jesus's message has been distorted by those who fear the change it will bring. I believe that the Bible is incomplete, and that without the testimonies of ALL 12 apostles, we will never understand its true meaning.

This is of truth. The basics are there, but to understand the more complex teachings, it is incomplete. Some books are sealed and many do not have access to them.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Do the math:
Possible number of planets - 9.e+21
Number of planets where we know life exists - 1

Until we find proof that there is life in other planets I will see the possibility of life existing elsewhere just as that, a possibility, but I am one of those that think that it's highly likely that there is life elsewhere.

You are of course correct, but I think the term "possibility" is a little too weak. For myself an extremely high "likelihood" (almost certainty) is much, much more logical to assume than the thought that Earth is the only planet with life/intelligent life.

"What we know" is not relevant to come to this conclusion.

Someone who would oppose the idea of life elsewhere would have to explain to me WHY the mechanism of "life creation" would only apply to Earth and why the same mechanism wouldn't work in the same way elsewhere, given that billions of planets might "theoretically" suitable for life.

We already KNOW now there ARE "Earth like" planets elsewhere..what would be the factor which made life/intelligent life only appear on Earth but nowhere else? This includes all the complex factors like organic compounds, atmosphere etc.... NOT including the idea that other life forms might have other requirements eg..such life-forms MIGHT not need to breathe oxygen, they MIGHT not even need water etc..etc..

The idea that this is a ONCE-AND-THEN-NEVER event which only happened on Earth makes no sense to me, at all. The idea that from billions of galaxies with each again billions of stars/planets we are the ONLY one harboring life..is just entirely absurd IMO.

edit on 24-12-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

It's pretty much a strawman argument when someone says "how can people believe we are alone in the universe?". I get a little tired of this particular strawman, because it comes up quite often here on ATS.

A large majority of people who have even a moderate level of understanding about the size of the universe would agree that were are almost certainly not alone. So, for the most part, when you say "You are delusional" (like in your thread title), you are talking to almost no one.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Maybe "probability" is a more correct word than "possibility", I'm not that good with words, even in Portuguese.
Could you please explain the difference between "possibility" and "probability" in this context? Thanks in advance.
I would actually use both words as follows:

possibility=> possibly there's other intelligent life (meaning greater than 0% chance)

probability=> probably there's other life, though it may not be intelligent (meaning greater than 50% chance, maybe much greater).

As others have said, there is a distinction between just any life and intelligent life. Examples:

Even on Earth, intelligent life is extremely rare, depending on how you define intelligence. Only one species can build radio equipment, and that capability was absent for the vast majority of the history of the Earth.

Expand the scope to our solar system, and we can name several places that may harbor microbial life, but I doubt anyone in the scientific community believes that intelligent life exists elsewhere in our solar system.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

This is a wierd forum for your topic. Or is it just a veiled way to bash religion? A lot of religion needs bashing. But human beings behaving badly is a condition, imo, that has no religious boundaries. The worst behaviors come from the godless.

God, himmself, is an alien to the corporate military structure that runs our globalism. The military industrial complex is out there looking for God, as a hostile. But I digress.

One doesn't have to go off-planet to find alien, to us, life. It's all around us. Worlds within worlds within worlds. And we, human beings behaving badly, are in the process of destroying every alien life form on this planet because we have never taken the time to recognize their existence.

And what's intelligent about our behavior? So to the OP: do I believe that psychosis like ours exists off-planet? Exists on extra-solar system planets? Is that something that we really want to believe? Is it even wise for us to believe that?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Knowing there must be still leaves us alone as we have not the knowledge of or a relationship with any others

We cant even communicate with the other species here on Earth that share so much with us...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It is possible that we are the only "intelligent" (given our own crude definition) species currently residing in the universe. It's possible that we're the first, and others simply haven't come up yet. Or maybe we're one of the last, with many others having come and gone before.

I don't believe any of that, but it is possible.

jra

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

...however, I think it is hysterical that "scientists" think for life to exist on other planets it would need to have Earth like atmosphere conditions.

Well it makes sense to start with what you know. We know that life thrives on Earth, so it makes sense that other Earth like worlds would have a good chance of developing life as well. We also know that life can survive in extreme conditions deep under the ocean, near hydrothermal vents. Which is why some scientists also theorize that life could exist on some of the frozen moons in our solar system like, Europa or Enceladus, which may have liquid oceans under its icy surface.

Water is the key to life (as we know it) and for a planet to have an abundance of liquid water on its surface, it would need to have some Earth like conditions.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Merry Christmas One word comes to mind. Speculation. No still another. Guesswork. Like the statement below,,

Doesn't really matter how you do the math, there is NO WAY in any way shape or form a common sense view that can tell me or any of you that we are alone in this Universe.

You are guessing that everyone will agree with you. In this case I know without guessing you do err on the side of presumption. I will give you 2 things that are absolutes.

1 You were born.
2 You will die.

Any questions?

edit on 24-12-2012 by CherubBaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Bone ! Why are you sorry ?
I believe your point can be valid. Minus all that is so obviously backwards and nonsensical because in the end ( And there will be one ) there will be just one truth. and everyone will experience that one truth with out my making any claims that I know, what that truth is and will be.

reply to post by CherubBaby

You were born. You will die.

More precisely these are the absolutes we know .
I would venture to speculate on the possibility that there may be far more after these two are realized and that might arguably be a third.
edit on 24-12-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join