<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

I think it is widely accepted that it is an almost mathematical certainty that there is other life out there. I think most scientists would agree with that. It is only the religious nuts that think otherwise.

And which religion would it be that thinks we are alone in the universe?

He's referring to fundamentalist literalist Christian conservative evangelicals, but it's still offensive and hurtful nevertheless. I don't know about you and others, but I'm really getting sick and tired of seeing that kind of rhetoric by the so-called enlightened atheists who in truth are mired in ignorance by assuming much too much about what other people think and understand, and then painting everyone who doesn't agree with their assumptions with the same brush. It's absurd and ridiculous. Even the Vatican has stated it's willingness to accept the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

They are like uninformed and uneducated highschool dropouts suffering from nothing but rebellious teenage angst in need of somewhere to direct their prejudice and intolerance, how ironic the way the tables turn.

edit on 25-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I think it is widely accepted that it is an almost mathematical certainty that there is other life out there. I think most scientists would agree with that. It is only the religious nuts that think otherwise.

Well lets look at the score, the believers.... uh nothing yet.... The Religious Nuts havn't had their theory proved wrong yet... have they. It's all moot though, Happy New Year to all, may your life be productive...

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
You cannot argue We Are Not Alone, if you believe anything at all without proof.

Actually.. the universe needs to have a first. What if 13.75 billion years is the absolute minimum time required for a universe to come up with some kind of intelligent life. And what if we are it?

There you go... not 100% certain intel life elsewhere exists.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I find it amazing that Nasa can take a photo as detailed as this but still can't produce any modern pictures of their own moon landings :-)

Not only do you accept 3rd hand information as fact, you're also willing to insult people who are intelligent enough to wait for tangible proof before believing everything they're told.

Is delusional any worse than gullible?
edit on 25-12-2012 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

I find it amazing that Nasa can take a photo as detailed as this but still can't produce any pictures of their own moon landings :-)

Not only do you accept 3rd hand information as fact, you're also willing to insult people who are intelligent enough to wait for tangible proof before believing everything they're told.

Is delusional any worse than gulible?
edit on 25-12-2012 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

You are the one accepting 3rd hand "information" as fact. The sad thing, you don't even realize it.

If you wouldn't accept 3rd hand information uncritical as fact you wouldn't come up with NASA "Omg! We dont't have photos from the moon landings" etc. conspiracies in the first place. (Fact aside that anyone would not have a problem compiling several DVDs full of moon landing pictures and footage...)

And where did the OP insult anyone? So you are calling him and other gullible because they come to a logical conclusion based on findings and own thinking - while you are the "smart guy" who gets his information from some 3rd hand site where some random conspiracy nut guy makes absurd, 1000x already proven false claims? And we are delusional? Lol

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Dearly beloved atser's we are gatherd here today in congress dicussing the thread that be
oh ye oh ye having listened to the evidence presented here in this fine thread.Our esteemed
collegues and i have looked at the evidence very carefully it has come to our attention that the
whole court has deemed in favour of the notion that intelligent life could exist outside of our
domain, "however we feel that to say intelligent life exists as a fact without proof is folley'.

Court adjourned untill further evidence comes to light merry christmas people..

*slams hammer*

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Here's an article by Scientific American about the tides and their influence on life:
www.scientificamerican.com - Without the Moon, Would There Be Life on Earth?...

Bottom line, we don't know enough to say what you're saying. We don't know enough about the origins of life. Keep in mind, we only have 1 planetary sampling out of X amount in the universe. Considering that life could conceivably arise or be transported via/to moons, comets, proto-planets, dwarf planets, planets or even asteroids, assuming the presence of suitable water and heat and shielding from cosmic rays, there're a lot of potential sites! There're 139 moons in sol. How many do you think there're in the rest of the galaxy? If each star system has on average 50 moons then that amounts to at about 5 trillion moons in our galaxy. This does not include proto-planets or dwarf planets or comets or asteroids that may temporarily or for prolonged periods carry active bacterial life-forms. It does not include rogue planets either (i forgot to add to the list). They estimate there're billions of rogue planets ((not tightly orbiting a star)) in each galaxy and they could even be on the outer edges of galaxies (as has actually been seriously suggested by a recent article I read).

Here's just one recent link among others that highlight the many rogue planets out there:
www.universetoday.com - Rogue Planets Can Find Homes Around Other Stars...

As crazy as it sounds, free-floating rogue planets have been predicted to exist for quite some time and just last year, in May 2011, several orphan worlds were finally detected. Then, earlier this year, astronomers estimated that there could be 100,000 times more rogue planets in the Milky Way than stars. Now, the latest research suggests that sometimes, these rogue, nomadic worlds can find a new home by being captured into orbit around other stars. Scientists say this finding could explain the existence of some planets that orbit surprisingly far from their stars, and even the existence of a double-planet system.

NOTE: If that 100,000 figure is to be believed then there're not billions of rogue planets in a single galaxy, but potentially quadrillions of them. Don't ask me, I don't know for sure.

in the same way, we can't be certain that intelligent life is elsewhere, let alone other life.

But I think over 99% of smart-minded people think there's life elsewhere.

All that's needed is for life to be a bit flexible in its origins. If it's flexible then its choice for sites across the universe is truly mind boggling; the numbers are just staggering!!
edit on 25-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

You are the one accepting 3rd hand "information" as fact. The sad thing, you don't even realize it.

If you wouldn't accept 3rd hand information uncritical as fact you wouldn't come up with NASA "Omg! We dont't have photos from the moon landings" etc. conspiracies in the first place. (Fact aside that anyone would not have a problem compiling several DVDs full of moon landing pictures and footage...)

Can you show me a modern picture of the old moon landings please? One taken from a similar telescope to the one that can see all those stars that are billions of miles away?

And where did the OP insult anyone?

Being delusional might not be derogatory to you. It probably is to anyone else...

jra

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
Can you show me a modern picture of the old moon landings please? One taken from a similar telescope to the one that can see all those stars that are billions of miles away?

featured-sites.lroc.asu.edu...

However, Hubble doesn't have the ability to resolve any hardware left on the Moon. And vice versa the LRO can't produce images like Hubble. Either way, NASA has been taking images of the old Apollo sites (plus the unmanned US and Russian landing sites) for years now. If you have any other questions regarding this, feel free to PM me or post in one of the many Apollo threads. I don't want to derail this thread.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Attention Please!!!

The topic of this thread is a discussion of the potential for life to exist somewhere else in the vastness of space. Can we please bring the discussion back towards the information presented in the OP? Thanks!

Oh and Happy Holidays!

~Heff

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
If you dont believe then watch this... I dare you, only people witih small minds that dont want to believe the truth would deny the truth...

www.youtube.com...

You guys always crying that God never does anything that if he existed why would he let this go on and on blah blah blah...no I'm not religious. Yet the anunnaki created us and just left us here for 6000 years with nothing but a planet and no answers and hasn't helped us since the creation period how are they any different than God doing nothing?

You don't just create a race of humans for the hell of it to see what will happen. If someone was going to create a race they would have a means to an end...there would have to be a purpose for all of us to serve them yet I see no evidence at all. Why just create us and just leave us here alone is my question? Doesn't matter what you believe but I highly doubt we was created by aliens.

It's just the kid in you guys still, when you was young (no one in particular) you might of had God to look up to. Until you get older and you start to question where is he, does he really exist? It's the same way with aliens creating us you guys are just looking for answers that hopefully you will find that somehow you are SPECIAL...guess what YOU ARE ALREADY SPECIAL and you don't need a God or aliens to prove that...we are all GOD.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I have used this picture before but I think it helps sum up nicely why we, or other lifeforms, have not been able to communicate with others yet...our signals reach the outside of this tiny yellow dot. That is only within our own galaxy too!

edit on 25-12-2012 by SerialVelocity because: Switched for better image...

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I don't put much stock in seti.

The distance the signals have to travel opens it to all kinds of interference. It may be mangled beyond our recognition by the time it hits us if we can even recognize alien signals at all.

For all we know, they may use encryption or something if they even still broadcast like we do.

We could be the Johnny-come-lately, the youngest, in the neighbourhood and the rest are billion year old civilizations.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus

Well lets look at the score, the believers.... uh nothing yet.... The Religious Nuts havn't had their theory proved wrong yet... have they. It's all moot though, Happy New Year to all, may your life be productive...

Did you just say that and then have the audacity to wish EVERYone a Happy New Year, I see your type all over the net. If you're going to post hateful rhetoric, at least try to be unique in some way.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Well here we go...when I first started this thread I purposely chose a word and purposely worded my thread and purposely worded all my responses a certain way.

The fact is, we live in a very small portion of a single galaxy that we have yet to begin to understand the enormity of it. There are infinite amount of galaxies and we do not even know if there are other Universes with other dimensions.

We are taught many different things throughout our lifetime in school and religious text that we are certain are true because they are written by people that we are trusting to be factual in their accounts.

The average lifetime of a human is so minute compared to the history of this planet it is difficult for me to believe that so many are so eager to just put blind faith in everything they are taught.

They cannot possibly know all the facts as they are presented. They were not there. Hearsay is conjecture spoken as fact when it is more likely not true than it is likely that 100% is true.

We explore the solar system we live in looking for possible signs of life and send signals into space to try and reach civilizations because we are sure there has to be life out there. I will tell you without a doubt I believe in my own deepest being that I have lived other lives on planets in other galaxies, so it is easy for me to say that we are not alone. I firmly expected reaction from most to be what I got across the board.

I thought a great deal of you would agree with the possibility, but would require proof in order to believe it as fact. I thought they would drag religion into the argument and they did. I thought some would agree with me 100%. I thought some would make a point of bringing extraterrestrial visitation to our own planet an issue.

I understand the reactions. The proof that you all require is already here. We are the proof of existence of life on other planets. To think we are the only intelligent life in the entire Universe is well ludicrous at the very least. Is there a possibility that we are alone? No. 0 possibility. How many planets have life...that is something we will never be able to prove in this lifetime or any other lifetime.

Doesn't bother me if someone wants to be arrogant about their opinion and refuses to see the truth, they are entitled to have one. This is a free forum for anyone. I have been called silly and ridiculed for my belief, Hey knock yourself out...I think it is hysterical.

Just remember this...you all have been taught things you believe to be fact, that have absolutely no proof.

BAW33
edit on 12/25/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33

Well here we go...when I first started this thread I purposely chose a word and purposely worded my thread and purposely worded all my responses a certain way.

The only problem I had isn't with the possibility of life elsewhere, although one that I think we've overestimated to a very large degree based on the required conditions for life to exist here on earth, no it's with the title and the stance you chose for the OP, which you say was purposely worded.

You then go on to say that you know for certain that you've lived out other lives on other worlds in pasts lives, which is fine, but please for the sake of civil discourse try to refrain in the future from flinging accusations at those who do not agree with your assumptions or presuppositions.

Just take a look at the title as it appears on the board -why try to provoke anyone? Why not invite them into a discussion instead, to explore the issue together. As you can tell I've done my own share of research and might have had even more valuable things to share, but I'm rather put off to be honest, including this reply as if it addressed anything that I said.

All the best,

NAM

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Actually I believe its far more prevalent than you can imagine. We're only on FM station 98.5, and our solar system is not only teaming with life, but there are planets, and not far out ones, we can't even pick up on, near us.

There are channels, of space-time and frequency, that are all different realms than ours. Higher more eutopia, and lower, more dense gravity.

And our science is ant hill. And this is just a simulation,not the real home at all for that matter, this is like a reflection world/universe.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33 I will tell you without a doubt I believe in my own deepest being that I have lived other lives on planets in other galaxies
As you have no shadow of a doubt ok but im afraid we need facts to go on which requires proof ?

Is there a possibility that we are alone? No. 0 possibility.
Wrong, it's probable possible and as of yet, you i them us
cannot say it as fact that there is life when we do not know and have not the physical evidence.
Once again do i we us believe there is life yes, 'do we state it as fact no! that's folley to think
otherwise....

We haven't found life as of yet, but if you have some knowledge for us that we me don't
possess on these planets you have supposedly visited then please share with me us them?
what planet were you on or on?..

Bottom line is it's possible probable but not factual as of yet lady that life has been 'proven'
to exist intelligent life that we know of...

edit on 25-12-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)
edit on 25-12-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
And yet, despite all of those high number of stars, we haven't seen a single shred of evidence that aliens exist (unless you believe they are already here, then I'm just wasting my time). There's a reason why SETI has not been able to detect a single signal in the past 40 years despite its greatest efforts and why the Fermi Paradox's only solution is starting to look like we are pretty much alone. Out of the 854 planets we have found thus far, none are Earth-like. They are either Jupiter sized gas giants or approximate replicas of Venus with unstable orbits. If you want to talk in terms of statistics and math, the numbers thus far are against the notion that life is abundant throughout the galaxy seeing as the counter-argument of statistical probability is meaningless when our sample size is only 1.

Aliens probably exist, but most likely in some galaxy billions of light years away and we'll never make contact. In our galaxy, the evidence thus far points to us being alone. That's the cold hard truth, I'm afraid. In science, when doing experiments you start with the notion that a given phenomena doesn't exist until proven otherwise. Hence, the belief in aliens is completely unscientific at this time until we have the relevant evidence.
edit on 25-12-2012 by Diablos because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join