It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan temple damaged by end-of-world tourists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Mayan temple damaged by end-of-world tourists

www.abc.net.au

Tourists who flocked to Guatemala for end-of-the-world parties have reportedly damaged an ancient Mayan stone temple.

"We are fine with the celebration, but (the tourists) should be more aware because this is a world heritage site."

Mr Gomez did not specify what was done, although he did say it was forbidden to climb the stairs at the site and indicated the damage was irreparable.

Critics complained the event was really for tourists and had little to do with the Mayans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
So the world didn't end, but it seems that the believers in the Mayan calender were more concerned with their predictions than the actual Mayans themselves.

You would think people would show more respect. If Mt Rushmore, the big ben or Uluru were desecrated you wouldn't hear the end of it.

The ancients are gone. These temples are their lasting legacy, And i wouldn't be the only one who wishes that they remain intact.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-12-2012 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
[snip]

Reminds me when the US decided to damage parts of ancient Babylon with parking their tanks on it and not moving them

edit on 24-12-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Makes me think of the real prediction of the Mayans: In this time people lose confidence in religion, priests, government, and officials. In fact even the omens that connect the Maya to the gods are questioned. The omens themselves are said to be broken by the dishonor prevalent in the times.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It was inevitable that once those who reached their higher plane of existence would trip over empty Corona and Sol bottles knocking over thousands year old stones and whatnot.

All part of being in touch with/becoming a higher power.

/sarcasm

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Maybe the Mayan calendar was the lifespan of the temples... every 5127 years they thought to build a new one?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Why would they?, remember it was the end of the world after all right?, so there you have it, if the world was going to end that day why would they care about some old ruins.

We humans are the most advance and ingenious creatures in the world but all that ingenuity and advancement is wasted in stupidity.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

They asked for it by not nipping that doomsday b.s. in the bud from the start. I notice they are only complaining now that the tourist stampede is over? I'm sure tourists have been all over that thing gor the last year, I also wonder how damaged it could be, whyy there was no security, and if this isn't a grab for some preservation cash, not that I would care if it was or that I'm against preserving them, just wonder if that's a part of it.
edit on 24-12-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

That is because the authorities and government were more into all the money they were going to generate from the stupid tourist flooding the ancient sites that worrying about keeping the area safe first.

Stupidity as usual, money comes on top as usual.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yeah that's what I'm figuring. They loved the money now they are bummed and looking at the costs.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The tourists were probably looking to get beamed up to the Mothership and started tearing the temple apart looking for the switch.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I'm conflicted by these occurrences of vandalism and careless destruction of ancient ruins and relics.

On the one hand you have the fact that these "ruins" were purposely destroyed or abandoned and from that aspect the artifacts and ruins are no more important to people today as they were back then. They purposely destroyed it or threw it away, why should any people care about that now?

The on the other hand you have the same senseless destruction going on currently in our civilization. As soon as a building is unoccupied, vandals and homeless people remove anything of any value and destroy it. Of course neglect and the elements will eventually destroy our modern ruins even if no one vandalizes them.

I wonder if there will be any humans alive in a few thousand years that will care about the past world we destroyed and threw away?

Disclaimer: I believe that people should respect the ancient ruins and try to preserve them for the future.

edit on 24-12-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Clairity and the last line

edit on 24-12-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

edit on 24-12-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Another Typo

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I don't care who's to blame, whether it's the money hungry Guatemalan government or the Hipster/stoner/hippy/cheeseburger munching tourists.

The fact remains. These places are sacred, and should be treated as such.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Probably some people got angry that they couldn't go to 5th dimension...lol....you lowlifes
...how dare you not let us get pass to the high gates leaving our worldly flesh behind

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Maybe you would show more respect!!!!!!!
The saved us all from the end of the world!!!!!!!
That's why nothing happened, they saved us by damaging the temple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All joking aside, that is just sad.
It is a shame that people have no respect for history and other cultures.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So you put a bunch of drunk people that think it's the end of the world in an ancient temple and... wait, that sounds like a good reality show!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Vidpci

only if you throw in several rabid jaguars , a large number of obsidian kives - and enogh peyote to trip out an entire soviet guards division

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Vidpci

only if you throw in several rabid jaguars , a large number of obsidian kives - and enogh peyote to trip out an entire soviet guards division

Also some teenage stoners and a talking great dane.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

you forgot the demonic unicorns wielding chainsaws.

edit on 24-12-2012 by Thecakeisalie because: I'm full of Christmas cheer, and a bottle of whiskey.

edit on 24-12-2012 by Thecakeisalie because: deck the halls with bottles of whiskey...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Why is it sacred? It is an old structure that is uninhabited. Should all churches and religious buildings be preserved from our era? 10k years from now, how many structures from the years past should be preserved?

We now have video and all sorts of records of the ancient structures. Why wouldn't we excavate the areas? Laws protecting them keep us from further examining the sites. I will wager that most of these structures will be found to have been built on top of other structures.

We have recorded the necessary data on all of these sites, now lets dig it up and see whats going on down below.
edit on 24-12-2012 by MobiusShaun because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join