It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to I mark last post read on thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Hi, I've had a good search for this answer but can't find out how to do this, or if this is possible.

How do I mark the last post I've read on a thread so that tomorrow when I want to catch up on new postings I don't have to trawl through pages of that thread to find where I was up to?

1000 apologies if this has been asked and answered before....

Peace

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by antmar

The only way I am aware of is by going to Tools -> Profile -> Posts, and your recent posts will be listed there.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean my own posts though. Say I'm reading a thread and its at page 30 odd... and I've read all the posts up to that point. Then later on I want to catch up on the posts I hadn't read yet. Is there a way I can "mark" the last persons post I read and then go to that "mark" the next day and continue reading?

I'm thinking there's no such thing.... how does everyone else keep track of all the threads they're reading I wonder.... ?

edited to add that I do subscribe to threads, I'm just wonder how to keep track of posts read on those threads....
edit on 24/12/12 by antmar because: To clarify meaning

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
right hang corner show ribbon then click on messeges and then replys

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I understand what you mean, as far as I am aware, there is no way to bookmark where you left off reading a thread. Shame really, would be nice. For new threads, or threads still going that you made it to the end, you can make a post, then go to that post in tools though. Better than nothing, but doesn't help on the older threads you find with hundreds of pages.

Hmmmm, now that I think about it, you could right click the blue "this post" on the post you left off on and hit copy link location(this post link is on the top of the box in blue letters). Then paste that link to a notepad document though.

edit on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 06:24:16 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Hmmmm, now that I think about it, you could right click the blue "this post" on the post you left off on and hit copy link location(this post link is on the top of the box in blue letters). Then paste that link to a notepad document though.

Yeah, this is what I also do from time to time. I don't think there is an alternative built in to the website as far as I know.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I keep the thread, by subscribing, on myATS and check it frequently. I remember the last page I read, but there is no other way.
The idea about copy and paste 'this post' is good. Would be nice if we had the little fold down option like Kindle has to take us back to the last place we were. Maybe a fold down page or post button? Those long threads can become a problem to keep up with.

Good idea! I expect SO will take this under consideration, he is good to listen and do what he can to improve the site..

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I usually take a screenshot for those larger threads (like THE GUT's MIB one) and save to desktop.

The other option is that I save the page to "favourites" on my browser but I usually do not shut my computer down so ordinarily pages are left open in tabs, sometimes for days at a time.

A bookmark is a very good idea

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Above each post is a 'this post' link...
Click that link on the last post you read, then you can bookmark that page.

Then later on, you can open that bookmark to view the last post you read.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I have an idea for a manual way to do it.

If you notice at the top of every post, there's a link called "this post". You can right click on it and "copy link location" , then paste it into a notepad or word file on your desktop or wherever.

Then all you have to do is paste it back into your browser and it will pop you right to that post and you can continue reading.

How's that for a workaround?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I struggle with this too.
I use the 'find' feature under 'edit' type in my username and go through the pages.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I find it much easier to just bookmark the page in fire fox.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

reply to post by Kr0nZ

Such a good idea It came twice at the exact same time.

That's the method I use. It work's best and does what you need of it.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by tjack

reply to post by Kr0nZ

Such a good idea It came twice at the exact same time.

That's the method I use. It work's best and does what you need of it.

Hey, you know, brilliant minds something something....

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

edit on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 06:24:16 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Yeah I thought there wasn't any way to do it on this forum, but your idea is a good alternative, thanks.

Its xmas morning now in NZ so merry xmas everyone. Peace.

top topics

join