It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relevance of Herbs and Substances to Entities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I was recently told by someone that nothing physical affects the spirit world. This leaves me deeply curious since I have always learned that herbs and other substances have meaning and powers that indeed connect us and reach into the spirit world. Throughout the bible you read different instances of priests and others using incenses, herbs, and other substances. Many Native American Indians used different herbs during prayers. When smoking from "peace pipes", they often used a mixture of tobacco, sage, cedar, and sweet grass. The pipe was often smoked during prayers and blown towards the sky as an example of the prayers being physically sent.

When clearing/blessing a home, sage is often used along with candles. Sweet grass is sometimes used as well as other herbs. Sage is probably the most popular due to its portrayal in many books, on tv, and online. Salt is often referenced to be used in a circle of protection, or to block certain spirits when they inhabit a dwelling they are not wanted. I personally have used salt when I cleared one place I lived. The clearing seemed successful, even though that may have been due more to the prayers and other things. Still it did seem to help.

While opinions are welcome, I am especially looking for answers that can explain how and why herbs and other substances do or do not affect entities. Though I was told they do not, I feel that perhaps they do. There have been many shamans as well as wise and good people who have said they do affect. Maybe it just needs to be better explained.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Personally I believe that while some things may be sacred by nature, that others become sacred by our very belief and intent that they are. I believe they may have a placebo effect that enables us to perform the desired result through the creative spirit that we were all blessed with.

In a similar fashion a doctor may prescribe a sugar pill telling you it is a medicine capable of effecting a cure, when in fact you are effecting the cure yourself and the sugar pill was just a tool enabling your higher self to do the necessary work.

I believe it is our spirit that interacts with the spirit world though some plant medicines (or plant spirits) can effect that same interaction. The modern world views these sacraments as hallucinogenic drugs, while to the Shaman, they can be the tools that take him over to the spirit world where he interacts with various entities to effect the desired result that the shaman intends. Again intent is very important.

Some of these substances may be illegal, and should be avoided except by the native shamans properly initiated and introduced to the spirit world.

Peace...
edit on 24-12-2012 by Coopdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jameliel

I am pretty sure that all ancient peoples used herbs, incense or something in spiritual ceremonies.
In may not be the herbs alone but maybe they are used as an aid in these ceremonies. Even Catholic priests burn incense and i am sure buddhist monks use it to purify their surroundings.
Interesting how this lore was used on different continents at a time when there was meant to be no contact between these civilisations.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

That is a part of my reasoning as well.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

You are right, the physical very much effects the spiritual world. Herbs, oils, incense, and so forth have long been used by shamans and the like to induce states of altered consciousness. As below, so above. Like we have astral bodies, to an extent, so do these herbs, and it is that which interacts with the consciousness of both our astral and physical bodies.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Veritas, on another topic entirely, I tried to download the zip file about OBEs, etc you torrented, but there never seems to be anyone seeding. When there was one person, it was extremely slow. Any chance you could PM a link?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The spirit world exists right here in our physical word, they are not separate. The spirit world is just seen and felt with senses that are not on the surface so to speak. One observes and feels the spirit by training his five senses to move beneath. We are born with this ability, then we are trained to float on top and exist in a physical reality that is purely static. It has something to do with our recent path as humans, but what lies beneath this static surface is a whole ocean of spirit that we are completely surrounded with. The physical reality that we tend to communicate in is only a small part of the spiritual universe that encompasses everything.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Depending on what you practice, herbs and candles all have different meanings and purposes. I suggest you read Herbal Magic and another great book if you want to learn about Shamanism is Animal Spirit - I think. Have to look up the name and get back to you.

The lists are long but just google herbs and definitions and you'll find lots. for example, St. John's Wort is often used to treat depression. Mugwort - divination, lavender, rose and jasmine are often used in love spells. I've had a deep interest in the occult and have studied various practices over the years including Witchcraft, Wicca and Shamanism - though I do not consider myself a Witch or Shaman.
edit on 31-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Hehe I know of many plants and their uses. I wondered because one who said he is from above told me, "physical things do not affect spiritual". Then he later told me these things work because of faith. Thus I asked others opinions, because what he told me is not what I learned from others who have practiced deep faith for ages.

Originally posted by Charmeine
Depending on what you practice, herbs and candles all have different meanings and purposes. I suggest you read Herbal Magic and another great book if you want to learn about Shamanism is Animal Spirit - I think. Have to look up the name and get back to you.

The lists are long but just google herbs and definitions and you'll find lots. for example, St. John's Wort is often used to treat depression. Mugwort - divination, lavender, rose and jasmine are often used in love spells. I've had a deep interest in the occult and have studied various practices over the years including Witchcraft, Wicca and Shamanism - though I do not consider myself a Witch or Shaman.
edit on 31-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I know for my meditations and dream work I used specific herbs mostly spiritual / prophetic herbs to induce dreams. I never ingested the herbs, only made dream pouches. Relatively harmless rituals. The Shaman who hosted our drumming circle used a special sage mix to cleanse the room - and us. It was pretty potent stuff. We used to joke about "special ingredients" but it was all made of natural herbs. I like also using dragon's blood for incense while meditating. The only magick I really conduct is dream magick because that is how I have received most of my information or knowledge over the years.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Herbs and plants are pretty powerful stuff=) There is one dream vine I hope to try soon. It can lead to an intense experience though, so I will have to prepare myself spiritually first.

Originally posted by Charmeine

I know for my meditations and dream work I used specific herbs mostly spiritual / prophetic herbs to induce dreams. I never ingested the herbs, only made dream pouches. Relatively harmless rituals. The Shaman who hosted our drumming circle used a special sage mix to cleanse the room - and us. It was pretty potent stuff. We used to joke about "special ingredients" but it was all made of natural herbs. I like also using dragon's blood for incense while meditating. The only magick I really conduct is dream magick because that is how I have received most of my information or knowledge over the years.

edit on 31-12-2012 by Jameliel because: forgot

join