It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nazca Lines: Any Connection to Ancient Aliens?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
How would you explain such awesome archeology?

Use these coordinates to "go look for yourself" via Google Earth. Just paste into search field. Then zoom, pan, flyover, check out the topography, place your pins to navigate, etc.

The hummingbird
-14.692157,-75.14888

The Monkey
-14.706900,-75.138371

The Astronaut (or Giant)
-14.745218,-75.079748

The Pelican
-14.689693,-75.107748

The Spider
-14.694144,-75.122372

Nazca Lines on Wikipedia.

Our favorite Giorgio Tsoukalas in a short clip:

A longer video:

edit on 24-12-2012 by FormerSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
No. No connection.
But you gotta love the frame grab for Georgie.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FormerSkeptic

Recently heard a theory that they might be a labyrinth of sorts. No idea if it's true.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, You cant say no as you weren't their when the lines were made.
On this one you are like all the rest of us.
We just dont know. I read Von Daniken as a 10 year old in 1975 and have had a mild interest since, those lines wouldn't have been seen except for flying in a plane so tell me Oh Profound One, what purpose are the lines if you cant fly to see them?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

I dont totally buy into Ancient Aliens but the Nazca lines are still a mystery. As for them being some part of a religious ceremony that theory is full of holes and offers no real evidence either.
I am still batting for Von Danikens side of the argument.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
reply to post by Phage

Phage, You cant say no as you weren't their when the lines were made.
On this one you are like all the rest of us.
We just dont know. I read Von Daniken as a 10 year old in 1975 and have had a mild interest since, those lines wouldn't have been seen except for flying in a plane so tell me Oh Profound One, what purpose are the lines if you cant fly to see them?

They do not have to be seen to know what shape they are. That in and of itself could be religiously symbolic. So you tell me, Oh Profound One, why do they have to be seen, why is their shape alone not enough reason to build it?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The Nazca lines are a classic in regards to the AA theory.
Däniken has covered them already back in the 60s/70s in his books.

I still have not seen a good, plausible explanation what their purpose was supposed to be respective the alternative explanations didn't satisfy me really.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
The Nazca lines are a classic in regards to the AA theory.
Däniken has covered them already back in the 60s/70s in his books.

I still have not seen a good, plausible explanation what their purpose was supposed to be respective the alternative explanations didn't satisfy me really.

Here is an easy explanation. Please tell me what is wrong with it. The Nazca believed their gods watched them from above. They created these so that their gods could see their devotion. So they were meant to be seen from above.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

No Phage is the Profound one, he has an answer for everything. Except on this occasion not. Those lines take in too great a distance to be of any use unless you are looking at them from a high.
So if you want to map a road for a religious ceremony you would do it as a spider for what reason if you cant see it
and just for good luck why dont we take off the top of a mountain.
Fact is, no one know's, like most of archeology if you dont have an answer then invent one, It'll be guaranteed funding for another 5 years

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

But those lines are extremely well made for people of the time, look at the Mayan Pyramids and Architecture.
They weren't dummies they had a very advanced civilization, so to say that they build these roads only to please the Gods I think paints them in a worse light than what is warranted.
But I guess it is possible, so why did they cut the top of the Mountain. maybe on the off chance that the Gods may return. Yep must be Aliens.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
To be seen by gods, yeah, yeah. Maybe some brave folks rode large birds. Maybe it was mandatory for royals.
(Oft we end up sounding drunk when we practice to debunk.)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras

But those lines are extremely well made for people of the time, look at the Mayan Pyramids and Architecture.
They weren't dummies they had a very advanced civilization, so to say that they build these roads only to please the Gods I think paints them in a worse light than what is warranted.
But I guess it is possible, so why did they cut the top of the Mountain. maybe on the off chance that the Gods may return. Yep must be Aliens.

No, they did not have an advanced civilization (not in what we would call advanced). Their understanding of the universe and world was rudimentary compared to what we know today. Their religious beliefs are well known, I don't know why you think they believed something else.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I really don't believe there's a connection.The notion that they couldnt create them without being able to view their work from above is actually quite demeaning to them.

They had imagination,the ability to conceptualise.All they had to do was draw out a plan of their intended design then scale it up massively when making the real thing.With a 'blueprint' sketched out they had all the dimensions,angles,relative proportions and with simple geometric tools they could easily reproduce it.

It's like saying how did they design Stonehenge without being able to see the finished monument beforehand ?? The ability to imagine,problem solve and the will is all they essentially need.

As for the genuine purpose behind it I doubt we will ever know for sure but I can imagine it's something to do with leaving your mark,like cave paintings or the white horses that our ancestors in the UK carved into the hillside.

Maybe it stems from the sense of there being something much bigger than ourselves and wanting to leave an equally large statement on the very land we live.

Am sure there was an element of their gods being able to 'look down' and see what the Nazca has done.

The Ancient Alien connection is teneous at best if you ask me

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Whats the alternative... hot air balloons made f cowhide? Without aerial craft it would be not only impossible, but pointless to create such a thing.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
James W. Moseley first suggested the possibility that the Nasca Lines could have been some kind of flying saucer landing field in 1955:

"But it was Moseley who first wrote about the Nazca Lines as an intriguing Fortean phenomena in Fate Magazine, in October 1955, suggesting a mysterious origin, long before they interested alternative writers such as Erich von Däniken (1968), Henri Stierlin (1983) and Gerald Hawkins (1990).” -Loren Coleman

copycateffect.blogspot.com...
edit on 24-12-2012 by CardDown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There are a couple of things about Nazca I can tell you from HAVING BEEN THERE MYSELF.
The abundance of straight lines could have easily been made - what those are for we haven't much of a clue.
The famous Nazca figures are really the object of our inquiry into "how did they do that?" and what they mean.
There is a tower built on the road that goes through this area, it's about 50 feet tall and gives you a good perspective to see these lines - but you really still have to view the figures from the air to get any sense of them.
In Palenque on the coast there is another figure referred to as the candelabra - it's best seen from a boat and at least for that figure I don't think there's much doubt it was designed from that perspective (at sea).
joa
gan

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

I heard once of a proposed solution that involved hot air balloons, some textile analysis was made to the Nazca's mummies and they could have permitted the construction.

In any case these types of designs aren't exclusive to Nazca. Since they had to have a function I say religious seems to address it, I see no need to complicate it with aliens, just because you need an observer of the art. They are human creations and because of their design of no alien interest (no collaboration required).

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
There are a couple of things about Nazca I can tell you from HAVING BEEN THERE MYSELF.
The abundance of straight lines could have easily been made - what those are for we haven't much of a clue.
The famous Nazca figures are really the object of our inquiry into "how did they do that?" and what they mean...

My intrigue is also with the lines — NOT THE FIGURES. The area is HUGE! It's the outrageous size and over-abundance of the UNNATURAL straight lines, some of which are geometrically wide and square-ended, that's incredible. There seems to be thousands of lines! Or more! And they're dated tens of thousands of years old!?

Only problem was I couldn't find the coordinates for that particular "entire mountain tops removed" line (or runway) that Von Daniken described. So that's why I provided the coordinates — so that people can "go see for themselves" (virtually, via Google Earth).

In my opinion, I don't think the lines could've been easily made. They're too straight, too long, too geometric, too many, too unnatural, and way too old. That's the mystery right there. The oversized figures, on the other hand, might be more easily explained as something related to the prehistoric villagers' worshipping of events that they witnessed.

Lazy cynics will just view the short video clip above.

edit on 24-12-2012 by FormerSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Of course there is a connection. Probably strip mining. It is a place very rich in all sorts of things. Those straight lines that stretch for miles could be removal of top soil. Part of one mountain has been leveled flat on top by someone. That would be a major undertaking as it is about a mile long.

The old excuse that a space craft would sink is beyond stupid. Any craft that advanced would not worry about a few inches of soil. Our largest aircraft can float on water. As far as airfields go, why have aircraft that land like the shuttle? Why not verticle landing?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualarchitect

Here's the geographic overview mentioned in the video. When I view it on Google Earth, however, there seems to be many more lines than this. And some very long and incredibly straight going nowhere but to edge of the desert.

What physical or geologic phenomenon can explain this, in any era?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join