"The Man Who Planted A Forest"

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What a great story, found at Daily Good News

More than 30 years ago, a teenager named Jadav "Molai" Payeng began planting seeds along a barren sandbar near his birthplace in India's Assam region, theAsian Age reports

Now that once-barren sandbar is a sprawling 1,360 acre forest, home to several thousands of varieties of trees and an astounding diversity of wildlife -- including birds, deer, apes, rhino, elephants and even tigers.

The forest, aptly called the "Molai woods" after its creator's nickname, was single-handedly planted and cultivated by one man -- Payeng, who is now 47.

"[Locals] wanted to cut down the forest, but Payeng dared them to kill him instead. He treats the trees and animals like his own children. Seeing this, we, too, decided to pitch in," Saikia said.

It is an inspiring story... what an achievement! The World needs more people lilke Molai.

edit on 23/12/2012 by Thurisaz because: fix link... preview!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Wonderful article its good to see something good done in this world when you look around and only see tragedy committed because of other tragedy's

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
good luck kid.. somone will cut it down one way or the other... thats life.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Great story, I saw a show about that. One person can make a difference. Now the people of India will have a lot of wood for their traditional wood fired cremation ceremonies. The government there is trying to break that tradition and teaching them a gas cremation is ok.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
here is another great story, individual doing something good:

The Child Who Plants Gardens to Feed the Hungry
Dec 2, 2012-- It started with a tiny cabbage seedling that Katie Stagliano, a third grader in South Carolina, took home and tended until it grew to an amazing 40 pounds! Katie donated that cabbage to a local soup kitchen. Now 14, Katie has inspired over 50 gardens in over 20 states that donate thousands of pounds of fresh vegetables to people in need.

oh and another one:

The 13-Year Old Who Is Foresting the World
Sep 6, 2012-- Felix Finkbeiner's stringbean physique is complemented by a pair of wire-rimmed glasses and a pudding-bowl haircut. At 13, he is an environmental superstar at the helm of a global network of child activists whose aim is to mitigate climate change by reforesting the planet. Behind his apparently unprepossessing facade, Felix is really an action hero. His organisation, Plant for the Planet, recently achieved its target of planting one million trees in Germany; now, Felix is spreading his message around the world. Plant for the Planet is up and running in 131 countries

edit on 23/12/2012 by Thurisaz because: to add

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
It's a great story, but I think I've seen this on here before (while I was a lurker).

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
This one is fantastic!

I know there is so much negativity around about what us Humans do to the Planet but these photos from Steve McCurry's Blog are so heart warming:

No Greater Joy

I highly recommend this...brought a much needed smile to my face

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Agreed, truly fantastic. What an achievement. He started by planting bamboo in a desert and now it's a forest with a full ecosystem including tigers and apes? Just staggering. Goes to show what is truly possible. The guy (and the kid) are heroes in my book.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Must be an amazing feeling to wake up every day, seeing a lush & expanding forest filled with wildlife. Tigers, elephants, apes, birds, etc. Sounds very fulfilling.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Awesome dude, we need 100 more just like him.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Treeemendously
encouraging story which illustrates perfectly how one man can make a difference.

Why can't we have more positive stories like this in the msn?

Anyone would think they enjoy telling us about the doom and the gloom *rolls eyes knowingly".

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
Must be an amazing feeling to wake up every day, seeing a lush & expanding forest filled with wildlife. Tigers, elephants, apes, birds, etc. Sounds very fulfilling.

It is the stuff dreams are made of!

I thought about how fantastic living like that would be...yanno, simple without all the news!! and being surrounded by such beauty every day!

thing is, he is lucky to have been born there...cost of buying land in Australia makes this block of paradise unobtainable. You would probably need a hundred grand to buy land and do something similar to that.

over here, if you don't have money, you can't do that. Our way of life sure sucks at times...

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Locals wanted to cut down the forest...
reply to post by Thurisaz

Typical idiotic human behavior. "There's a forest, lets cut it down."

new topics
top topics

join