It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan temple damaged in tourist 'apocalypse' frenzy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

in the aftermath of the 2012 " apocalypse " , many things are left broken...

Ego's for some, bank accounts for others, and even the temples of the people who spawned large parts of the myth haven't escaped the frenzy.

AFP - Tourists flocking to Guatemala for "end of the world" parties have damaged an ancient stone temple at Tikal, the largest archeological site and urban center of the Mayan civilization. "Sadly, many tourists climbed Temple II and caused damage," said Osvaldo Gomez, a technical adviser at the site, which is located some 550 kilometers (340 miles) north of Guatemala City.

"We are fine with the celebration, but (the tourists) should be more aware because this is a (UNESCO) World Heritage Site," he told local media. Gomez did not specify what was done, although he did say it was forbidden to climb the stairs at the site and indicated that the damage was irreparable

Critics complained that the event was really for tourists and had little to do with the Mayans. About 42 percent of Guatemala's 14.3 million residents are native Mayans, and most live in poverty and endure discrimination.

source

Irreparable damage done, great, all thanks to some event that had no base at all in reality...
Thank 2012, here's to 2013 and not damaging / destroying ancient wonders.

SS

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
wahhh lets cry about it.. looks fine to me, im sure the mayans wouldn't mind.. They would be like.. Its all good! Now smoke this shiz and pass me the corn liquor.. YEAH!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
But they ascended, man.
They ascended.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Indeed...

SS

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

I see no damage. However, lack of respect for heritage is never okay. Partying it up at peoples place of worship seems pretty disrespectful.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateninjah

Maybe because those are "before" pictures.
The boneheads were going where they had no business going.
Complete disregard.

edit on 12/23/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That WOULD certainly explain a lot.

But why post a thread about damage with no after pictures?

**That question aimed at OP, not at Phage
edit on 23-12-2012 by Pirateninjah because: (no reason given)

****Granted I'm new here, but I thought the ATS motto was "Pics or it didn't happen"

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Maybe because there aren't any pictures.
You don't believe there was damage?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Hello,

because the story is " fresh " under an hour or so old...

I could not find any, and I am taking the articles word for the damages done.

If you can find any pictures of the damage done, you're welcome to post them here.

Thanks.

SS
edit on 23-12-2012 by Spike Spiegle because: spell

edit on 23-12-2012 by Spike Spiegle because: wow I cant type

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Can you show me where I even implied that?
No need to get snarky buddy. Obviously people are going to want to see the damage. Is it a coke bottle on the ground? Are stairs missing? There isn't much to go by here.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle

Hello,

because the story is " fresh " under or hour so old...

I could not find anyway, and I am taking the articles word for the damages done.

If you can find any pictures of the damage done, you're welcome to post them here.

Thanks.

SS

Thank you for the actual info, Spike!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

If it's irreparable it's probably something more than trash. If I were to speculate I would tend toward guessing that "souvenirs" were involved. But that is just speculation.

What would be gained by providing pictures?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateninjah

Originally posted by Phage

Can you show me where I even implied that?
No need to get snarky buddy. Obviously people are going to want to see the damage. Is it a coke bottle on the ground? Are stairs missing? There isn't much to go by here.

A rock being moved would be considered damage. After all one rock here and there every year, in a thousand years there might not be anything left to the structure. Future generations should have the opportunity to see things in person rather than just books. I know it's hard though, to keep from partying at these places, since it makes you immortal and all...

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What would be LOST by providing pictures?
Why is this turning into something irrelevant?

Do you always take people at their word? Is it so wrong to want to see pictures?

No need to give me the third degree! It was a simple inquiry.

Phage: Literally, all i said is "I see no damage" and you kinda jumped on me. Do you need a hug today? Normally you're more level headed, I've seen your posts before.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I don't understand why people think a place of human sacrifice, is a good place to usher in an age of a higher level of spiritual understanding and attainment.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Now, now people, lets talk temples and damages

Again, If anyone can find some pictures of the recent damages talked about in the article that would be great.

Thanks.

SS

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The people thought it was the end of the world I don’t think they cared what they damaged. They are real @holes for doing it though. The places have been there for over a thousand years and they get damage by a bunch of wingnuts.

I wonder how the authorities are handling it I can speak from experience when I say you do not want to be in trouble with them in that part of the world. Many do not like foreigners.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I don't understand why people think a place of human sacrifice, is a good place to usher in an age of a higher level of spiritual understanding and attainment.

Same can be said for the Vatican. How can people consider that place as holy? Crusades, witch hunts, etc.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Visual Stimuli would be gained from a photograph. Irreparable does not necessarily imply extensive. It might be blown out of proportion or it might not be.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Its ok..war is still going on..maybe people can target there fellow man with bullets..instead of stomping on stone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join