Argentina: Another "Time Slip" Reported in La Pampa

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reading this story brought back several similar incidents I experienced in the mid to late 80's. I will go into detail below the link and quoted text.

SOURCE

Two young men whose duties cause them to travel National Route No. 5 on a regular basis between the communities of Catriló and Santa Rosa reported feeling “disoriented” during the trip on three separate occasions. After several minutes had elapsed, they noticed that they continued the trip without any further incident, but without any recollection of the distance they had already covered.

A similar incident befell a driver some ten years ago in the vicinity of Lonquimay. He stopped at a service station to ask “where he was” as he had no idea how he’d gotten there, although he had envisioned driving along that road. The driver continued his journey in the area in question, feeling disoriented once again. He reached the locality of Toay without knowing how he’d accomplished the trip.

I had nearly forgotten about these incidents until something in the story triggered my memory of them. I remember telling my wife about them and she was as puzzled as I was.

I started an industrial engineering and repair business in 1979. I covered the entire collar county area around metro Chicago Illinois. Since I lived in the southwest suburbs this made for some long trips to and from customer sites. My main route at the time was Elmhurst Rd also known as Ill Hwy-83. Interstate Hwy I-355 was not finished to connect to Interstate I-55 until 1989. Much of Ill 83 was limited access but a lot of it was not. If I had a job in the northern suburbs it could easily take over 2 1/2 hours to drive to and from the job site, especially in rush hour traffic or bad weather.

It was during this time that I experienced the so called "time slip" incidents. While I didn't keep score, over a period of three or four years I must have had at least a dozen "time slips". I would be driving along and suddenly, without any recollection of covering the section of the trip in question I would find myself enough closer to home that I would have had to have lost at least an hour. I am a very aware person, sometimes too aware. So it was not possible that I could have just daydreamed away the time. I practice defensive driving and to do so one must be constantly aware of what is going on in surrounding traffic. That alone precludes any chance of daydreaming.

I have no explanation for the incidents and no memories, suppressed or otherwise, of anything that could have happened during the time slips. They are still a complete mystery to me.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This type of event is interesting.

I don't really know if time slip is a good term, although it seems fitting, it may not be all that accurate. It sounds like a condition called highway hypnosis. It's a form of automatication that let's your mind complete two tasks with potential amnesia to one of them. The often happens to people who are driving and realize a few minutes may have passed that they don't recall happening because they had two streams of consciousness and one was suppressed to to the monotony of a task.

If you look into that term I think it'll be similar to your experience.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Hmm, I don't know if I would consider this a time slip or not.

I have experienced this dozens of times. You mentioned you experienced it while driving a road you drove often.

I had a 45 minute commute to college for a couple of years. I knew every turn, hill, and pot hole in that drive. Sometimes I would get to thinking about something and space off about it for a while. When I would stop thinking about whatever it was I would notice I was much further along in my drive than I would have thought and I wouldn't remember driving by known landmarks whatsoever. It always kind of worried me, like I was driving on auto-pilot, and could have wrecked.

I never felt it was a time slip, though.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
As you sit in front of your computer, ask yourself this question. It may seem silly but it is not.

Are you aware, at all, of the last hour that you spent breathing, blinking or any other autonomous function of your body. Of course you have not!

For some people, driving can become an autonomous function not requiring the higher order brain functions and therefore no information is sent to the memory center of the mind. It usually occurs on longer trips where the monotony causes the autonomous functions to kick in.

P

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
something similar-ish happened to me once while driving down a busy highway. i was daydreaming while driving, when i looked up at the red light i was going through, and i specifically remember looking at a womans face in a car stopped on a sidestreet. i sorta blacked out, and came to a couple of seconds later having a panic attack. i think this is in the same vein? it was quite strange....

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Interesting. I think I have had similar experiences but I figured them to be my subconscious functioning taking over my conscious mind while awake. Its similar to being put under or REM sleep in that hours can pass and without the experience of that time it simply doesn't exist.

Much like when your driving a very similar rout and thinking about other things intensely (daydreaming) and you arrive at your destination you have a hard time remembering the drive at all...its as if it never happened. Your conscious mind was almost hibernating and unable to acknowledge time. The subconscious mind doesn't acknowledge or track time...and it simply does not exist from that perspective.

When recalling any portion of your dreams can you give any guesstimate of how long that experience in your dream actually was?

The movie inception did a very good job illustrating this.

but anyhow...I don't think its actual time travel as much as it is consciousness time traveling.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

The real time slip.would have been stopping at Portillos for an Italian Beef, and becoming aware of only when you noticed the empty bag. Being overseas, I really, really miss Chicago food. I am from Addison, btw.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

The real time slip.would have been stopping at Portillos for an Italian Beef, and becoming aware of only when you noticed the empty bag. Being overseas, I really, really miss Chicago food. I am from Addison, btw.

Damn your eyes, now I am going to be Jonesing for a Portillo's Italian beef with melted mozzarella and piled high with sweet peppers all night long. Or better yet, a beef and sausage combo sandwich with the cheese and peppers.

Those things were downright dangerous, If you somehow managed to get any of it on the top of your head your tongue would beat your brains out trying to get to it.

I was born and raised in Chicago but moved to Bolingbrook in 1962 with my first wife and never went back to Chicago. Sometime in the mid 90's I did go back to my old neighborhood just out of curiosity. The whole area was so bad that there were places that I could walk at night when I was 12 that I wouldn't walk then in daylight without a gun on me. The old saying is that "you can't go home again", and maybe that is because "home" doesn't even exist any longer. I moved to Georgia in 2003 to take a job with one of my customers and now, at 73 and retired since late 2006, I will never even move back to Illinois.
edit on 23-12-2012 by happykat39 because: added info

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I have had an odd experience driving one night. That I could never figure out.
1st I drive at night on a regular basis and prefer it. if I am taking a long trip I sleep very late the day I leave.
We vacation in Daytona beach and I also travel there for a race from time to time. This trip I was driving home alone as my wife and her friend that split the condo with us s were staying an extra couple days.
The trip from Daytona to home is 650 miles and driving the speed limit it is close to 10 hour drive. I normally make is in 7 to 7 and a half hours. I leave Daytona around 11 and get home before sunrise. 1 quick stop for gas on saprtanburg SC only when I am alone.

This trip was going normal. like to listen to talk or comedy on sat radio to pass time. This one time I got home in under 6 hours. which is possible because I do sometimes go for over an hour at over 100MPH 140 is not unusual
160 on long straight open areas. Car is a C5 corvette and handles better and gets better gas milage at 90 to 100 than 50 to 60.
I thought I made better time between daytona and spartinburg but checking my gas receipt showed I was on time to arrive in the 7 hour range the rest of the trip is hard to make up much time because it is mountans and curves plus NC cops are have lots of speed traps.
I always reset the trip computer on my GPS, when I checked the next day it showed my top speed was over 400MPH.
I have yet to figure that out. But I also did not remember parts the last leg of the trip between Asheville, NC and Newport TN which is interstate 40 over the smokey mountains. I initially chalked it up to being sleepy but I am not sure. Some people say I was picked up by a UFO but I honestly do not believe aliens would come across the universe just to beam up me and my car then deposit me 80 miles away just for fun,

I have the pictures of the GPS and sent it to a paranormal investigator who wanted to check for radiation on it.
I bought another and still have that one put up with the speed still on it.

The area on this trip does come close to the Brown mountain lights have been saw for hundreds of years but not very close. Same dark mountan range though.

I would be more apt to think sometimes time slips or something occurs somehow.
I know I would not believe my story if someone told me.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This is self hypnosis.
I once spoke to a hypnotherapist about smoking cessation. Back then I still bought into the misconception that some people were immune to hypnosis. I asked him about it. This was the exact example he used to describe hypnosis. Driving in your car and not realizing you had just driven the last thirty miles because you were thinking about something else.

Its actually kinda scary when it happens.

new topics

join