It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red alert issued for volcano on Chile-Argentina border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

there as been a Red alert issued for a volcano on Chile-Argentina border.

(CNN) -- Chilean authorities on Sunday issued a red alert -- the most severe in their warning system -- that the Copahue Volcano, high in the Andes mountains on the border with Argentina, might be poised for a significant eruption.

In a statement, Chile's Geological and Mining Service stressed that no mandatory evacuations have been ordered around the remote volcano, which lies about 280 kilometers southeast (175 miles) of Concepcion, though the closest roads to it are in Argentina. Even though the seismic activity suggests a minor eruption, the agency decided to raise the alert level because it could not rule out a major eruption. The service warned specifically about potentially dangerous mudslides within a 15-kilometer (9.3-mile) radius of the crater.

CNN

Mild to moderate eruptions have been recorded here since the 18th century, and some in the 20th century spewed volcanic rocks and chilled liquid sulfur fragments from its 300-meter wide crater lake, the Global Volcanism Program reports. After at least three eruptions during the 1990s, Copahue's last significant eruption occurred from July to October 2000. That incident caused damage, mudslides and spurred evacuations.

CTV
France24

SS

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Crazy... hope they get out of that area safe..

just as i watched this to.. hmm

‘Aftershock’ Trailer: Deals With an Earthquake in Chile

edit on 23-12-2012 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
GUYS! Guys! Look! There's a big mound of terror that spews molten lava every once in awhile! Let's live next to it!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Can we sacrifice our pets and virgins to it when it gets angry?

On a serious note, check it out. It has a live webcam feed (B&W) and other streaming data about the event in question.

Live Volcano Cam
edit on 24-12-2012 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I never understood why people choose to live near active volcanoes.
*goes to round up some virgins*

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle

This would make an awesome wallpaper!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Wow!

I hope everyone gets to safety before it goes.

I find volcanoes awesome and scary because they are so destructive. I was in Italy two years ago for Christmas and I went to Pompeii. It was insane to see what Mt. Vesuvius did. It was very sad to see the people just frozen in their last position. It had to be terrifying for those people. I also went to Mt. Vesuvius and went to the top but not to the crater, it was closed due to weather. Apparently Italians can't handle cold lol It was nuts because that thing is HUGE but it's a beautiful view of Naples and Italy in general while driving up the windy roads.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It's amazing, how dreadfully beautiful volcanoes are.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
7 reasons why we sacrificed perfectly good virgins to volcanoes.
Gods of Fire and Smoke

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Is that first pic, with the lightening, a real pic or a modified one?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle

This would make an awesome wallpaper!

looks great on my 32 in both of them

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Let's hope people get out of there safely. Surely they'll be someone to get some cool pics. Looking forward to that bit!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by vc2099
Is that first pic, with the lightening, a real pic or a modified one?

it is soo beautiful and unreal... I think it is a modified... if not: wooooow

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

reply to post by vc2099

reply to post by aLLeKs

Hey guys! Merry merry. Just thought I'd let you know that first pic is old news... it even got linked to a storm we had here in Durban (south africa) a few years ago... It is from a Chilean eruption, so it's forgivable

The original is from May, 2008, here's the link:
PHOTOS: Chile Volcano Erupts With Ash and Lightning

May 6, 2008After 9,000 years of silence, Chile's Chaitin volcano (pictured on May 3) is erupting with lava, ashand lightning (full story). Since the volcano awoke on May 2, it has continued erupting intermittently, blanketing the area in ash and forcing more than 4,000 people to flee.

reply to post by Skywatcher2011

For all y'all looking for a big pic, here's the largest I found:
and another link just coz (same image):
image again

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Well, there are several reasons people live by volcanoes - geothermal energy, tourism etc. But the most important is incredibly fertile soil. Some of the best places to grow things is near volcanoes.

They don't erupt all that often to be honest - so many people are willing to risk it.

top topics

join