It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

occupy LA sueing city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

LOS ANGELES -- Occupy Los Angeles demonstrators are suing the city for what they said was an unlawful “shock and awe” attack on their civil rights when 1,400 police officers swept nearly 300 demonstrators from City Hall grounds more than a year ago. The Nov. 30, 2011 arrests at Los Angeles City Hall came after an eight-week encampment aligned with the Occupy Wall Street movement calling attention to “bailouts for Wall Street and foreclosures for Main Street.” Five people are suing in a class action lawsuit that represents 292 people detained by officers in the raid. Court documents said those arrested were denied food and water for hours while being detained at the Metropolitan Detention Center downtown, at a jail in Van Nuys or on a bus en route to the lockup.

These guyys dont give up easy, their still fighting, but idk if there is much they can do.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by radiotracker350

They are exceptionally lucky Los Angeles is a city both very soft of anything left for a cause ....and too broke to even make trouble chasing money they so badly need. Specifically, Occupy L.A. COST the city a great deal and cities aren't Congress. They can't print money. On the local and state levels? Budgets ARE a 0 sum game and something spent is something TAKEN from elsewhere. To cover the costs of public safety, cleanup and recovery of the space they wantonly trashed (I have a TON of material on the L.A. Camp and their stunts if this thread gets going...) L.A. put out millions of dollars.

Now, instead of so much as a 'we're sorry about that', they come back with the gall to SUE the city they stuck with the bill for their protest? Okay, I give them credit for sheer nerve and moxy. Brains got checked at the door and it's why Occupy has utterly failed on every level but the remaining "Harassment" protests they can manage now.

Nerve? Oh.. by the truck load. Brains? By the thimble full. Money can't buy smarts, so they're in trouble I'd say.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You left out the best part! Mayor Villaraigosa originally supported the OLA people; I wonder if those panchos he handed out said "Watch me at the DNC". 7 out of 15 council members voted to support having their little protest. It didn't become a problem until the OLA people were turning the grounds into a sewage pit with a lice infestation despite the city having put out port-a-johns for them.

Now they're pissed because they didn't get room service during booking? Yeah, LAPD should have brought in catering for when they were getting mugshots and fingerprints. I sincerly hope the judge throws his gavel at the OLA lawyer for wasting everyone's time.

On the otherside, I hope the city counter-sues them to recoop the costs associated with cleaning up.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Agreed all around. The thing that most aggravates me with Occupy is that the whole time I was affiliated and helping from home as well as the week or so I lived in camp at St. Louis, I kept looking and looking for any sign of organization beyond the camp level. Any links..ties... It's what we needed! I kept hoping even as that hope died over the Fall and into Winter, that someone in New York (They had the cash and were looked to as the top, after all) would USE what had been made in the cities.

If they'd used the energy, power and numbers of the people in the Occupy camps across the cities and moved that into D.C. for a proper and intelligently directed protest push to those it actually matters to change, so much could have been done.

As it was, some cities like Oakland and New York showed they could get impressive numbers ..and details of how that worked aren't important when the end result was people who were happily marching with Occupy. 30,000 in each place ..roughly, for at least one event each. It took 200,000+ in Egypt for how long?
The scenes were similar across Eastern Europe in the fall of the Communist Regimes of the old Soviet Union. I wasn't old then so memory is vague but I was a news hound as a teen and running my BBS's then..watching that unfold on CNN. So exciting...

^^^^^ And THAT would have made the cities worth it, IMO. It would have made it all mean something.

As it is? It's like an overgrown frat party that just never knew when to end and cost many people criminal records, damage to property and cost to cities who cannot replace a dime of it.
All for what? Not a single tangible thing was accomplished or changed. I envy the Egyptians. They had people power AND FOCUS.

top topics

join