It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA Pipes Up Again

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If violent video games make people violent then sports games make them athletes. Minecraft doesn't make you a miner. Being a blacksmith in Fable doesn't make me a metallurgist. How many boxing champions credit their ability and success to Mike Tyson's Punch-Out?

The prevalence and accessibility to firearms in this country allows our murder rate to be exponentially higher than other industrialized nations. More guns = more death.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Yes Yes!

Make an issue out of armed guards and the kids go home and play COD and Halo or go watch some shoot em up movies.

For crying out loud I know some people love to vilify gun owners, and the NRA, but damn this is getting asinine.

Yea, I dont get the attacks on the NRA. Was this punk even a member?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

What a horrible comparison. Apples and oranges. Mental vs physical.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

If violent video games make people violent then sports games make them athletes. Minecraft doesn't make you a miner.

Didn't say they did the point being is kids are exposed to "guns" just bout everywhere.

So the so called manufactured "outrage" is just that manufactured just like the "assulat weapon" label and the labels on gun owners.

he prevalence and accessibility to firearms in this country allows our murder rate to be exponentially higher than other industrialized nations. More guns = more death.

That's a lie considering there over over 200 million guns in this country over 330 million people in this country and the deaths from firearms is less than ,001%.

But then agian they always call the guys with guns to take care of the guys with guns.
edit on 23-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

They attack the NRA simply because they can anyone who supports gun rights is automatically evil.

Facts don't matter they never enter in to a "gun debate" because they blame things instead of the people who commit a crime that is illegal in more ways than one.

Murder is illegal it still happens, they have banned certain guns and murder still happens, anything can be used to murder people.

Including Government.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Hard spot for the NRA but there are others that will lend a voice to the discussion. Both pro and anti

More guns = more guns. Check how many die everyday in your country or for that matter around the world. Look at all the stats and which group died from what?..Google is your friend..last time I checked there were 2000 kids a day killed in America since we are discussing kids safety; 365 days a year but that's ok it is approved....

Mexico's gun ban really is working great for them only military, police, body guards, politicians, and Cartel members have them.

Until very recently I thought Utah was the only state in the union to allow a concealed weapons permit holder to lawfully carry on public school property. However Oregon and New Hampshire now have similar laws. There are a few schools in Texas that allow their teachers who have a permit to carry concealed on property.

If you trust your kids to be with the teachers for X hours (or more), X days a week, X months out of the year, for X years, I think we can trust most of them with a firearm if they go through the licenses process. Most countries use armed guards to protect everything they figure valuable and worth protecting, from money to politicians and much in between - why not give our children the same care? Someone with a hammer, bat, knife, or even a gun who wanted to hurt and kill in a school might get away with starting something but someone else (CHL) would put a stop to it.

I do not like the idea of an armed guard across some school yard when a bad person tries to kill some kid trying to get an education. “When seconds count the police are only minutes away,” is spot on. Many overseas and even some in the states want to ban guns totally; understandable why they think it would be better if none had a gun.

I am reminded of the young lady who was raped and strangled with her panty hose and also a young 14 year old girl who was home alone during an attempted break in but used a gun to stop the bad guy; even made MSN a few months ago in the states. Guns are used somewhere between 700,000 and 2.5 million times a year to stop crimes depending on what source you want to believe. THINGS (guns knives bats hammers broken bottles and panty hose) are not the problem. The problem is that people who are mentally ill do not behave rationally. There is no current way to keep an intelligent ( or even mentally deficient in some obtrusive way who is a determined idiot) from committing mass murder. TPTB are working on the whole thought police thing but have a few bugs to get worked out before it is fully deployed. Myself I hope it eats their computer.

There are several licensed instructors that are doing free CFP classes for teachers, administrators, and custodial staff at the schools in Utah.
They did have one mass shooting at Trolley Square, a shopping mall, several years ago. The mall was posted as a gun free zone.

utah-concealed-carry-permit.com...

Constitution; that old piece of paper that makes America, America...I can read how some want to do away or modify the 4th, 1st, and 2a, but they might as well change the name while they are at it for it will no longer be the America that many fought and died for.

Even though there are major studies on the effect of violent games on a certain segments of any society IMO it still comes back to the parents and the individual. There are military studies that concluded trainees who were trained in virtual warfare were better at their job in the field. They had better reaction times than those who had not used the virtual warfare training. They were better shots and less hesitant; also the trainee can make a mistake, get killed from said mistake and have a do-over until he/she gets it right .The Military has the time, personnel, and money to study stuff and arrive at a fairly consistent outcome for their mission goals.

There is a tremendous lack of parental supervision/influence on many kids during their formative years. Games and movies which glorifies gratuitous violence, will have no effect on some, yet will send some small fraction out to do some fantasy scenario in the real world...

www.ithp.org...

www.psychology.iastate.edu...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...:_The_Psychological_Cost_of_Learning_to_Kill_in_War_and_Society

Some pretty good stuff in cause and effect but have to wonder who will take the time to ponder....

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It's not about what kills more people or how though, is it? It's about murder. The intent to take another's life. Guns in America make murder easier to accomplish. There are secondary and tertiary reasons for murder, sure. However, guns make murder easy.

You can't blame video games or movies because I don't see anywhere else in the world with the murder rate that we have. We'd be better off without guns in America.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well we all know how having armed police on campus helped stop the Virginia Tech and Comlumbine massacres. Oh wait I guess they did not. Again it as stupid an idea as banning guns. But both are easy to sell to the mouth breathers.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

People are split by decisions like this. I think everyone would approve of it, if some other tragedy is averted, and is thwarted by the Police. BTW, I know 1 school in my state that had Officers stationed in them, due to the gang violence, and fights happening in them. They have had the police in them for years..........

“I believe that having an armed police officer, law enforcement official present in our schools will give our students comfort, our town, our community comfort, and will have anybody think twice about coming into Marlboro schools,” Mayor Jon Hornik told CBS 2′s Drew Levinson. Mayor Hornik said that he made his decision to place armed police officers in all of the district’s schools when they re-open in the New Year, before the suggestion was made by NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

Marlboro NJ Schools To Employ Armed Police Officers When Classes Resume In 2013

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I totally agree. The root cause of murder is people. Not guns, games, or movies. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop the blame game.

I own many guns, and I play many violent games. I watch violent and mature films and television. I consider them all to be entertainment.

Availability or overexposure of a thing doesn't make an abuser. Abuse makes an abuser. Instead of blaming the guns, blame the people who abused the guns.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Cops in every school is going to cost less than the lawsuits. Just think about it how much every event has cost then do the math. Has anyone else got a better plan.

Millington MI a kid that tried to burn down his previous school was stocking, building and recruting. But it didn't make the news

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It's not about what kills more people or how though, is it? It's about murder. The intent to take another's life. Guns in America make murder easier to accomplish. There are secondary and tertiary reasons for murder, sure. However, guns make murder easy.

Fine if people want to talk about murder then let's talk about murder like what kills more people guns? or abortion?

That would be abortion so it is not about murder now is it?

It is about blaming inanimate objects that sells a fake security and a pat on the back thinking they care about children.

Because if they did they would ban abortion, but wait that is taboo.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You're pulling at strings to try and detract from the point that guns are dangerous and shouldn't just be handed to anyone and everyone just because you think the constitution says so.

Good try though.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

You are from Canada.
So your opinion about
America is good within
the confines ot the
Canadian Borders. Right?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Please, and I truly mean this, please pretty please with sugar on top, research what places these mass shootings are happening at.

Then kindly report back your findings, before yet another NON US Citizen goes on and on about how we as a nation need to conduct our OWN business.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The only ones I see trying to pull strings is those who vilify guns and act like they get up all on their own and walk in to places and shoot people.

Newsflash contrary to tv and dogma guns are not that easy to get, and they sure as hell don't walk on their own unless you have the government doing it.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

And yet again, another NON US Citizen pipes up, ignorantly I will add.

Where are these shootings happening?

Schools for about 10 years now as a whole, nationwide have had SROs or School Resource Officers assigned to them. Kids being around armed police officers is not going to do anything to their psyche, unless Liberal panty waste mommy daddy make it an issue.

Again, before you speak uninformed again, maybe you should research the assignment I proposes to the Canadian here as well.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

If it isn't a firearm, then it will be homemade explosives.
If not Explosives, Knives.

People with commit violence regardless.

Plus, again, just disregard the fact of the percentage of guns owned versus the percentage of people killed with a gun.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This article is well thought out and offers constructive advice on how our schools security could be improved.

Obama's Hypocrisy Problem On Guns
market-ticker.org...

I know people who will not go to businesses with "no guns allowed" signs. I worked at such a facility and could see how a shooter could walk in the daycare room and kill every person in the room in one minute and walk out. That could be up to 30 preschoolers and staff.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Please, and I truly mean this, please pretty please with sugar on top, research what places these mass shootings are happening at.

Then kindly report back your findings, before yet another NON US Citizen goes on and on about how we as a nation need to conduct our OWN business.

Sorry mate, I know another "Non-U.S. citizen" here, but check out this page, makes for interesting reading

www.motherjones.com...

So in 62 events of massacres over the last 30 years, 49 times the killer got their gun legally.

Additionally, en.wikipedia.org... if you care to notice here, the U.S. occupies 5 out of the top 9 school massacres and 6 out of the top 15 workplace massacres.

Not telling you your business, just giving facts

And it isn't easy tracking down cop fatalities from guns in the U.S. but I'll bet it's higher than most other countries

edit on 23-12-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join