It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA Pipes Up Again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

NRA Pipes Up Again

w ww.huffingtonpost.com

Wayne LaPierre, the head of the National Rifle Association, made a second effort at selling his views on the Newtown school shooting massacre to the public in a contentious appearance on "Meet the Press" on Sunday morning.

"If it's crazy to call for armed officers in our schools to protect our children, then call me crazy," LaPierre said defiantly. "I think the American people think it's crazy not to do it. It's the one thing that would keep people safe."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
So here's my question...you stock your elementary schools with armed guards...sure to create an environment of sustained fear for the children, anyway (but that's another thread)...and a shooter shows up. Is he going to check in with the office and get a pass? No. He is going to take out the guard, then go about his business. Then what?

Armed guards merely address the symptom. How about addressing the causes?

I'm not seeing much of that debate from the gun lobby.

w ww.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

What cause do you want to address? We can't ask the shooter what the cause was because he's dead. So what IS the cause?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Here in my town, as I recently discovered, the district uses some of the older Officers to staff the Student Resource Officer posts. They are the cops who have time in and probably close to retirement. An easy posting (in 99% of times) to enjoy the final time in Uniform. The flip side is, the kids don't get Rambo lite out of the Academy and determined to show the world what a tough guy can do with a badge. Older cops tend to be no B.S. people in my experience...and content to let things go along to get along, until that simply isn't workable for safety or law. That's how it should be...and how I think this ought to be addressed.

There is NO reason the majority of schools in populated areas (i.E. areas with cops in any real number to look at) can't at least have Officers of the above type assigned as roving between schools as THEY see fit on a schedule only THEY know...as they work it out. That would allow many many schools to have a deterrent effect by never knowing for certain which school one of the cops chose to work at that day ...or when one might just walk in because they felt like it at that moment.

Conversely.... You don't hear many mass shootings in Utah or Oregon. Simply telling teachers that their State issued and background investigated CCW permit is enough to carry at work is enough to leave students guessing.......Which teacher is carrying and which isn't?? ....if I went and did a school shooting, which teacher would punch my ticket? Yes.. That is what we WANT possible shooters to wonder and fear. Deterrence.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

As ive stated in previous threads.. My school district has had isd cops in every school for many years and I really thought this was the norm.
Ive never had an issue with them and any interactions Ive had with them have always been positive. Aside from budgeting issues, I really dont see the problem with it

.sure to create an environment of sustained fear for the children,

And no it doesnt, my kids never gave a second thought about them being there.
edit on 12/23/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We have similar programs in ISDs where I live in TX. Having armed peace officers in schools is nothing out of the norm.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Armed guards merely address the symptom. How about addressing the causes?

I'm not seeing much of that debate from the gun lobby.

I'm not seeing that from either side quite frankly.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the causes are which need to be addressed?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

As ive stated in previous threads.. My school district has had isd cops in every school for many years and I really thought this was the norm.

I agree. There were armed police in every school in my district as well. I support the idea overall.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What a great environment for a school, armed officers everywhere, that can't be good for kids to be brought up in

The NRA seemed to have missed the point overall, perceptions may differ but armed cops do not decrease the chances of another attack, it merely puts more people in the firing line imo.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Thats really the simplest, most logical solution, I really dont understand why some are against it.
The isd cops are a different division but they still come from the city police force, im sure that most average sized cities can afford to appoint an officer to the schools.
The last thing I want to see though, is military or contractors (like blackwater) being hired for these positions but I think thats where we're heading.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I think the cause is painfully obvious.....mental health. Get these kids off drugs, and make them run around outside. IMO.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

edit on 23-12-2012 by Putyournamehere because: Double

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Putyournamehere
reply to post by Screwed

I think the cause is painfully obvious.....mental health. Get these kids off drugs, and make them run around outside. IMO.

Exactly, ban SSRI's and rytalin.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
GOOD FOR THE NRA!!!!!!!!!

I will be soon sending them a check for several hundred dollars to help them fight the GOOD FIGHT!!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Screwed

Typical Waye LaPierre stance, "ban EVERYTHING apart from the guns!"

This sums it up and it's years old:

edit on 23-12-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

reply to post by Screwed

Typical Waye LaPierre stance, "ban EVERYTHING apart from the guns!"

No, typical logical stance. Nothing to do with bs politics or left vs right bs, so get off your ignorance and look it up.
Do you even understand what these drugs do?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yes Yes!

Make an issue out of armed guards and the kids go home and play COD and Halo or go watch some shoot em up movies.

For crying out loud I know some people love to vilify gun owners, and the NRA, but damn this is getting asinine.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

There is more to this issue that prescribed drugs mate, and yeah, I am aware of the drugs, however your point is somewhat diminished when you consider that if everyone who was prescribed these drugs were to "freak out" then the U.S. would be a war zone, more so than now, you ought to reconsider your ignorant point there mate.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I understand your point but both of these types of drugs do cause hostility and suicidal tendencies.
Anytime someone has suicidal tendencies, they could and sometimes do, feel the need to hurt the ones
that "hurt" them when they decide to end it.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

No , not all kids but it seems kids from certain environments are more susceptible to lashing out. Wealthy families, where work comes first, and if the kid had a hissy fit, they get a toy to keep quiet. Rewarding kids that act out is a recipe for disaster. I may not have explained it well, but I'm sure you catch my drift.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join