It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporate Military machine using Facebook to recruit the young and naive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Royal Marines recruitment

There seems to be an increase in the use of social media to reach the young and naïve and recruit them into the service of the corporate military machine. The worrying aspect of these such sites is the way that they glorify the war and death, but show none of the horror or the tragedy.

It appears to be a quite cynical attempt to capitalise on the current economic climate and the numbers of todays youth who are without work and prospects and recruit them into the service of the machine. Personally I think this kind of thing should be banned from social media.

The majority of people who post on such sites, are clearly ill educated, almost verging on the illiterate judging by some of the comments. Kind of reminds me of the American recruitment tactics, to recruit ethnic minority groups from poor towns.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by December21st2012

My kid graduated last year and it really was annoying seeing all the recruiters at his school AND all the BS propaganda pamphlets that they sent him home with.
Recruiters should not be allowed on school property.

btw, you shouldve made your account on 12-21-12

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Dont you wonder how the richest people in the world are billionaires? It is because they sold out their fellow man to the machine. Microsoft "windows" ? A Window into every single human's life?

Facebook? Everything else the machine needs to know about them?

How do they repay the creators? Infinite money.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
My feelings on this are as simple as they are strong. Anyone in the US, UK, Aus or elsewhere ought to have the right to tell the Military they cannot recruit there. Unless we're talking about a direct Government facility of course.

Likewise, the Government of the nation in question should have every right to cut every last dollar of any nature...for any thing.....on ANY reason...that organization receives money or help from the same Government.

No state should be able to FORCE recruitment...That is the fair point I'd agree with. Where my feelings turn hard is when someone benefiting from the service of the military of a nation then craps all over it ...by saying they can't even come an pitch their shtick to those who may qualify in the freedom of the marketplace.

If the Military has a better package going? They deserve some recruits.. If not? They deserve to be told where to get off until they pay commensurate to the sacrifice in a volunteer service. It's downright RUDE to live in the benefits of a free nation then flip off those who made that very thing possible tho..............and the fact they have crap heads for commanders today doesn't change that fundamentally.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

yeah, fair dinkums, but...recruitment should represent a realistic image of what is really involved. Sites like facebook are a dumbing down and in my eyes a deliberate attempt to target those who are susceptible to their BS.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The military trying to recruit? Welcome the 1700s. I mean really? Where have you been for the last 300 years?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
The military trying to recruit? Welcome the 1700s. I mean really? Where have you been for the last 300 years?

Well I haven't been alive for most of that period, the human lifespan is only about 70-80 years on average.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but freedom cuts both ways and I mean that in every sense. It cuts the direction of realistically having to allow recruitment to your own nation's armed forces and method of national defense or care in extreme disaster.......and on the other hand? Well, here is where it cuts in a way that benefits you!

See, the recruitment isn't entirely honest..and I doubt military recruiters have been honest back to the days of the Roman Empire "Sure young citizen...you will see far away lands, as Caesar promises! Oh no...we hardly EVER actually FIGHT...Naww... step over here, brave Roman! ...". That is where your freedom allows you to either be right there to have a little protest for their recruiting or just open competing sites and groups to spread the truth of Military service as you see it.

I'll be the last to defend Military recruiters as honest. They're like Used Car salesman. Their whole job is about selling people on doing something every fiber of common sense says is patently insane.
I kinda feel for them at times.. Talk about work cut out for them these days.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but freedom cuts both ways and I mean that in every sense. It cuts the direction of realistically having to allow recruitment to your own nation's armed forces and method of national defense or care in extreme disaster.......and on the other hand? Well, here is where it cuts in a way that benefits you!

See, the recruitment isn't entirely honest..and I doubt military recruiters have been honest back to the days of the Roman Empire "Sure young citizen...you will see far away lands, as Caesar promises! Oh no...we hardly EVER actually FIGHT...Naww... step over here, brave Roman! ...". That is where your freedom allows you to either be right there to have a little protest for their recruiting or just open competing sites and groups to spread the truth of Military service as you see it.

I'll be the last to defend Military recruiters as honest. They're like Used Car salesman. Their whole job is about selling people on doing something every fiber of common sense says is patently insane.
I kinda feel for them at times.. Talk about work cut out for them these days.

I appreciate your frank and honest assessment. Freedom is great, but balance relies on opposing dynamics. When this becomes out of kilter, then freedom becomes nothing more than an illusion presented by captivity.

new topics

top topics

join