It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DISCUSSION: The Ridiculous Stereotypes Leveled at Guns and Gun Owners & Where They Come From...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

Understand this. Until you have used a gun in the defence of your life. Your words are mute. They come from some one who simply does not know of which they speak. I am a grown arse man . I make my own decisions, I run my own business. I pay my tax, I give to charity. I am no different than you or anyone else on here. Except to you I'm one of those gun nuts you all like to label. Well I'm guilty.

If being a responsable adult and doing the right thing for a lifetime is the way to be, then why when we want to do it armed is there a damn discussion and I instantly become the gun fanatic. Go figure. I don't apologise for having 2nd Amendment rights. I don't apologise for legally carrying my firearm. And I want apologise to the person who tries to harm me or mine. I have a thread about useing my firearm in defence of my life. You should read it. It may help you understand MY mindset. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot. No pun intended.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262

Understand this. Until you have used a gun in the defence of your life. Your words are mute. They come from some one who simply does not know of which they speak. I am a grown arse man . I make my own decisions, I run my own business. I pay my tax, I give to charity. I am no different than you or anyone else on here. Except to you I'm one of those gun nuts you all like to label. Well I'm guilty.

If being a responsable adult and doing the right thing for a lifetime is the way to be, then why when we want to do it armed is there a damn discussion and I instantly become the gun fanatic. Go figure. I don't apologise for having 2nd Amendment rights. I don't apologise for legally carrying my firearm. And I want apologise to the person who tries to harm me or mine. I have a thread about useing my firearm in defence of my life. You should read it. It may help you understand MY mindset. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot. No pun intended.

Excuse me? Have I said something out of line? Have I misconstrued your words in some way you would like to specifically address? I have called no one a "gun nut", not have I called you a "gun fanatic". Those are things YOU are labeling yourself with by saying things like, "Well I'm guilty". This no longer becomes about what I think of YOU, it becomes what you THINK I think of you. You have already set yourself up to fail.

You have no idea about my past, whether or not I have fired a gun in self defense, or whether or not I have two hand guns on the table in front of me, so you do not get to decide whether my words are mute [sic].

I don't care about your story about using your gun to protect you, I really don't. I don't think it has much to do with the topic at hand, and I think that your continued ranting does more to tarnish the image that the OP is trying to shine up than any labels anyone is able to cook up for you.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift

Originally posted by openyourmind1262

What I want be is an un-armed willing victim. And son, I don't miss. I have used the gun to defend my life. I will again if and when the need arises. If you can't defend yourself against a gun with a gun, might as well be a sheep.

How about this guy, OP?

What is your take on the people that firmly believe that they are invincible with their guns?

At what point to we begin to see where these stereotypes come from?

It is my belief, that the stereotypes come from a few idiots with guns that make the news. It seems, as of late, that the ONLY gun owners that ever make the news, are idiots as well! This very acute cross section, is the basis, for the assumption. Is it fair? No. But, it is what it is. Many of those who believe a certain way about guns and gun owners, most likely have never known personally, or owned or fired one. And with the constant negativity about them that they are constantly subjected to, they most likely never will.

This obvious tactic and borderline propaganda, is what many gun owners get ruffled up about. So, while they spend an unnecessary amount of time defending this right, that is designed to defend the rest of their rights, (as well as the rest of the populaces') they tend to get a tad bit calloused and obtuse.

With regard to the perceived invincibility, I believe that may be a bit of a stretch. But, in our defense, look at it this way...

Most thugs, punks and criminals, consider the mere possession of a firearm to be enough leverage, to facilitate their crimes. I mean, the Media has already created such a terrifying stigma, around anything g.u.n., that the majority of the public cowers away, at the very sight of one. This perceived advantage in the criminal mind, coupled with their rash and brazen looks and demands, relieves the average bad guy, from having to use their wits or skill, when commiting an offense.

Whereas, most typical gun owners who legally carry a firearm, do so out of the potential need to use it. And in this respect, the very ideals that bring one to plan to this level, also encourages us to go the extra mile when learning how to use and operate one, to the limits of it's (and our) potential.

For instance, when I got my new Blackhawk CQB SERPA holster, for my Glock 32, I spent literally hours, practicing my draw, before I even started carrying it. I also practice target shooting. I practice moving while shooting, simulating a potential need to obtain cover. I practice off hand, as well as reloading a magazine and rechambering a dud, with only one hand. I try to conceive every possible scenario that I might encounter, all the while, praying that I never have to utilize any of it.

There exists a very real physical limitation known as "condition black". This can occur when the body receives some sort of major trauma. The body begins to shut down certain functions and fine motor skills. Your heart rate sky-rockets and your mind limits it's own ability to harm itself. It forces you to choose between fighting with everything that you have, or running away with every ounce of your strength.

It is impossible to simulate this in training, but the experts have learned how to get you pretty close. And, training under these conditions will pretty much prepare you for as much as is humanly possible, to be ready for.

I could go on and on, and while this may reflect an extreme side to the whole debate, it does give one food for thought, when trying to understand how a man can feel, "invincible", when discussing a potential confrontation with a hooligan or gang-banger...And, like an advanced student of the martial arts, the possession of this level of training and knowledge, only reinforces those ideals, and enhances the embodiment of our culture, as well as promoting a mutual respect among our fellow men.
edit on 12/27/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

But we aren't on a Mainstream Media site. Here in this thread we have a couple of instances of gun owners discussing their opinions. What about gun owners like the ones in this thread that feel comfortable talking about open rebellion or invincibility? I did not put those sentiments into their mouths. It wasn't propaganda. Look over the thread, these are folks giving their own opinions and coming up with these ideas without being prompted.

I certainly do not feel comfortable with a person thinking he is invincible with a gun owning a gun.
I also do not feel comfortable with a person telling me he will keep his guns regardless of the law owning guns.

Does that make me irrational?
Do you feel that these people are helping your cause in regards to overcoming these stereotypes?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

But we aren't on a Mainstream Media site. Here in this thread we have a couple of instances of gun owners discussing their opinions. What about gun owners like the ones in this thread that feel comfortable talking about open rebellion or invincibility? I did not put those sentiments into their mouths. It wasn't propaganda. Look over the thread, these are folks giving their own opinions and coming up with these ideas without being prompted.

I certainly do not feel comfortable with a person thinking he is invincible with a gun owning a gun.
I also do not feel comfortable with a person telling me he will keep his guns regardless of the law owning guns.

Does that make me irrational?
Do you feel that these people are helping your cause in regards to overcoming these stereotypes?

Obviously I was generalizing....But to be more concise, I understand why they say what they do, but I do not necessarily condone, or agree with, it.
It seems to follow the NRA's mantra, "From my cold, dead hands", but as much as they use it for their battle cry, it really doesn't reflect the earnestness, and humble fortitude, that resides at the very core of our ideals.

As a rallying point, it serves it's purpose, but when it comes down to brass tacks, it seems that a little pot stirring, can be found on both sides of the argument.

I feel like I am interviewing for a spokesman's position!!! If there is an underlying purpose for your line of questioning, please forward payment for my contributions to the address, I will provide at a later date....

Edited to add:

I don't consider you irrational. Although, you may place to much stock in a given exaggeration. As I said earlier, no one knows what they will do, until the time comes when they have to choose. Personally, I can conceive too many variables, to even begin to estimate my probable actions.

The bottom line, is this:
While it is our way of life that we consider inviolable, there always exists a faction of extremists in the ranks of any ideal, that does not embrace the true nature of it. They warp and twist the facts and project a fabricated image that harbors a hidden agenda and purpose. I believe that it is these factions from both camps, that continue to fan the flames of indifference, between them. To what end, is anyone's guess. But, I fear the most sinister of entities, with evil, ancient ambitions, may well be the culprit.

edit on 12/27/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I fully know I need my guns to survive.

Talk is cheap, their has been talk since the eighties of morons saying that they want the second done away with, maybe earlier, but that was before my time. If it ever happens, it will mean civil war part two for the US I think. Or at the very least a bunch of states leaving the union, and gun owners moving to said states.

The large liberal cities can't keep themselves gun free, how on earth would they be able to do it country wide?
edit on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 08:42:13 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Here's something that happened to some friends of mine recently. Anson, my friend, was at work. He works nights. One night, a man tried to break in on his wife and two year old son. Luckily his wife was able to make it to the gun before the man made it to here. She fired at him, and he fled.

Now, I don't know why the man was trying to break in, maybe he just wanted to steal some stuff and thought nobody was home, however, If he had found her and her two year old. Who knows what he would have done? All I know is that I'm glad that around here, we are armed, and can defend ourselves if the need arises.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join