Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

DISCUSSION: The Ridiculous Stereotypes Leveled at Guns and Gun Owners & Where They Come From...

page: 1
16
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
First off, let me explain what I would like this thread to consist of...

I have been a fervent defender of basic Human Rights for most of my 40+ years on this planet. But increasingly, as of late, I have been attacked on many different levels about one in particular. Call it, the 2nd amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Call it a God given right. Or call it what it is...

I have the right, to pursue Life, Liberty and Happiness. It's not difficult to see, that as a member of humanity, we are bound by decency, to live and let live. But there exists, in our rank and file members, those who wish to manipulate, control and subjugate us, for their own personal gain, and for lack of a better word, for enjoyment!

Now, I have some personal beliefs as to where this evil desire originates, but for now, I will leave that out of this discussion. I am more interested in attempting to establish a discourse, in which we can analyze the sheer ignorance that has been displayed, by those who do not understand, nor wish to comprehend, that which we defend so unconditionally. As well as offer some insight, to those on the other side of the spectrum, so that we can ALL enhance our understanding of our own species.

So....Please feel free to read each post, in an attempt to minimize duplications, and choose an unused phrase or preconceived notion, that you have encountered or have been associated with, that absolutely, in no way, offers an accurate depiction of the group or item it attempted to encumber. And, in your response, please offer a brief description or quote of the fallacy, followed by the correct definition or belief. And then, in your own words, please surmise what you think is the underlying reason for these inaccurate portrayals.

And, if you are brave enough to read this, and admit that you may have been guilty, in furthering these stereotypes, but perhaps now see them in a different light, we would be honored if you would express these sentiments here, as well!

Easy enough? Good! I look forward to our thread, and I will be compiling a condensed version of items, periodically, so that we can review them at a glance, for convenience.

Let me get the ball rolling...


During these most recent discussions, I have repeatedly been belittled and chastised for my beliefs by the use of such words as, "ignorant", "neanderthal", "outdated", and my favorite..."Cowboy".

I have been told that my way of life is no longer needed. That I strive to maintain the fantasy, of living in the "wild west". And, that I liken myself to the "gun-slingers" of a, long since unnecessary, era. Hell-bent on brandishing my six-shooter, to strike fear in the hearts of opposing men. All the while, just wishing, hoping, praying, that they would give me a reason to quick-draw my trusty Colt and shoot them ALL dead, where they stand...

Yeah, I know...And I'M delusional....Go figure...

The truth of the matter is, that I get up some minutes after my alarm goes off, just like you. I dress for work, and venture out into the world, daily, just like you. I put on my watch, and put my wallet in my pocket. I clip my keys onto my belt-loop, and don my hat and jacket, just like you. In fact, the only difference between you and I, in our one-leg-at-a-time rituals, would be my inclusion of a small, nearly indetectable pistol, inside my waistband.

I carry my 100% legal, firearm, for EXACTLY the same reason, that you have a spare tire in your trunk. For exactly the same reason that you maintain health insurance. And, for exactly the same reason, that a vast majority of gun owners do, as well. To protect and serve. Sound familiar?

You see, the one thing that the anti's can't seem to comprehend is the amount of r.e.s.p.e.c.t that fellow gun owners have for each other. In the days of the western frontier, it wasn't enough to be vigilant, or vocal about not wanting to be a victim. But, when a man strapped a piece of iron to his leg, it sent a loud and clear message to the criminals. It said, I won't give up easily. I won't conform to your evil and bow to your demands. I am formidable. Consider your actions, with this in mind!

I believe in the old proverb, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression"! But, this can be a double-edged sword. While a reasonable man, can recognize and respect another man's principled defenses, one who has never been afforded access to such a way of life, will build their knowledge of such things, based solely on what they have been subjected to. And you can't easily undo those things, once they have been engrained into doctrine.

So, with that said, let's further our attempts to mend this rift. Bridge this divide. And, conquer the fear, brought on by evil's attempt to destroy us.
edit on 12/23/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: spelling...




posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I've been called Rambo, Batman , Hobo with a Shotgun, disturbed, among others


I always thought of myself as more of an artist. Guns are only one of my hobbies

Good luck with this thread.



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
So using a deadly weapon is your heritage I gather? It's your pride? You wake up everyday and holster it like a cowboy and think: "Im gonna save the world today"? Is that it?

So why don't you get rid of your Army and Cops then since your populace is armed you really don't need one.
You don't need grocery stores either, you can all hunt now.
You don't need home security, for you have guns.
Fighting wars abroad should be stopped, cause you are defenders hence the guns, right?
When Children are killed by a psycho who used a gun in the crime, the media should give hell to the schools and ask why each teacher didn't have a gun in the class.
When people are shot at work it's their fault, they should of had guns.

Whoever called you neanderthal was correct, owning guns is an antiquated unnecessary way in this day and age and does no good for anyone. Considering the rest of the world regulates them harshly and has much less shootings (MUCH LESS) it stands to reason your assessment is biased and wrong.

You can defend guns all you like but the numbers speak volumes in themselves and a bit of research and an open mind would have you thinking the same thing.

However, being a gun owner you are not open minded, don't care about who's died or who's in danger, all you care about is waking up with a gun.

We wiped the neanderthals out eventually because of their backwards thinking and antiquated ways. How long do you think your old antiquated ways will last considering all the shootings you have had recently?
Your on the cusp of weapons bans and it will do you all some good.

Sometimes children need to be told, not asked and in this case the gun owners are the children and the government should not ask, it should regulate for the security of it's people. Period then end. Don't like it, too bad. Evolution is here and you can evolve with the world or be left behind in the old one.
edit on 23-12-2012 by TheCanuckian because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCanuckian
So using a deadly weapon is your heritage I gather? It's your pride? You wake up everyday and holster it like a cowboy and think: "Im gonna save the world today"? Is that it?

So why don't you get rid of your Army and Cops then since your populace is armed you really don't need one.
You don't need grocery stores either, you can all hunt now.
You don't need home security, for you have guns.
Fighting wars abroad should be stopped, cause you are defenders hence the guns, right?
When Children are killed by a psycho who used a gun in the crime, the media should give hell to the schools and ask why each teacher didn't have a gun in the class.
When people are shot at work it's their fault, they should of had guns.

Whoever called you neanderthal was correct, owning guns is an antiquated unnecessary way in this day and age and does no good for anyone. Considering the rest of the world regulates them harshly and has much less shootings (MUCH LESS) it stands to reason your assessment is biased and wrong.

You can defend guns all you like but the numbers speak volumes in themselves and a bit of research and an open mind would have you thinking the same thing.

However, being a gun owner you are not open minded, don't care about who's died or who's in danger, all you care about is waking up with a gun.

We wiped the neanderthals out eventually because of their backwards thinking and antiquated ways. How long do you think your old antiquated ways will last considering all the shootings you have had recently?
Your on the cusp of weapons bans and it will do you all some good.

Sometimes children need to be told, not asked and in this case the gun owners are the children and the government should not ask, it should regulate for the security of it's people. Period then end. Don't like it, too bad. Evolution is here and you can evolve with the world or be left behind in the old one.
edit on 23-12-2012 by TheCanuckian because: (no reason given)


Yeah, your getting it



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCanuckian
 


There ya have it OP, someone who has an agenda and speaks from factless, clueless emotions and no desire to understand what you are trying to explain, (in a very non threatening manner I may add).

I wonder how Canadians would feel if Americans tried to change their laws and the rights they were born with?? Then again, it is none of my business and people in other countries have to sleep in the beds they make, not me!

Good luck brother!



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt
 


Well said.....

Trying to inform these people and make them understand there ARE other lifestyles than the one they chose is impossible. They do not have the ability to think, consider the facts and be open minded that not everybody has the same beliefs.

If you don't look like them, have the same beliefs and live in their cookie cutter world then your a neanderthal.

Your wasting your tie and effort trying to teach them anything.

One of my favorite sayings sums it up.......

They have their minds made up, don't confuse them with the facts.

For an example of one of these people just look back a few posts before this one.....



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCanuckian
 


I thought that the first word in my title would preclude yet another inaccurate attempt to portray us as something that we are not.
Thank you for your comments, but in the future, perhaps you should make more of an effort to read and comprehend the nature of a thread, before spreading more nonsense and propaganda.

At no time did I marginalize or offer consent to the tragedies that we, as a nation, are facing. SO, who's the one that can't grasp a concept in reality?



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCanuckian
 


This guy is right OP. You cavemen-cowboys are evolutionary has beens. You need to let your government decide what's best for you and turn over your guns. Then and only then can you join the rest of the world as we hold hands and prance around free of all crime and violence forever!



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Let's not forget:
"baby killers" - in the post My Lai massacre Vietnam era to our returning soldiers
"gun nuts" - applied to just about gun owner since the 1968 GCA
and of course now a days
"terrorists" "extremists" "traitors" - none of which have any consistent meaning in the post-911 world

Note: I've been called a "stalker" and a "danger to the community" by some local politicians, not for firearms specifically, but because as a reporter of sorts my nose is always stuck in We the People's business - which is of course abhorrent to the politicians who want and expect no comment, no action and no interference from the morons (also known as citizens and constituents). They fear me because I carry and I'm very open about that.

ganjoa


edit on 23-12-2012 by ganjoa because: added personal note



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The problem isen't that you carry, it's that you have to.

I have not been commenting in any of the threads going on for the last few weeks, but i have read them all.

The maniac going on a shooting spree to kill innocent people, isen't going to go away, it's unfortunately here to stay, i have seen people here thinking there is a quick solution to this problem, and think the solution is to have more weapons to the people to protect them self.

That aint gonna work at all, you might save some lifes in a specific rare situation, but over all it's just going to worsen the problem in the long term.

This isen't about criminals going on a shooting spree, this is maniacs with a lot of anger.

If you give more guns to the people, you give more guns to the maniacs.
Removing the guns, will be a very VERY long term solution, but as it's taking time you will still see innocent people getting killed, it's unavoidable as the situation is now, but MAYBE in the long run fewer people will get killed.

But is there really a solution to this? Well i don't think so, it's a problem thats here to stay, and sadly you will have to get used to it as the US is a #ed up country with a lot of #ed up people, and so is the rest of world when you look at the big picture.



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I have been around guns all my life. My dad was a cop and the first gun I shot was his service revolver, a .38 special, when I was about... 7 or so.
My first gun (not counting BB guns) that was mine was a single shot .20 gauge, at about 10 or so, for rabbit hunting.
At one time, I had several guns, the SKS being my favorite but I dont currently own one due to financial reasons.
The outcry for banning guns is stupid, people will find a way to get them if they are determined to do something like what happened at that school.
This whole thing seems like a poorly written novel, its too convenient.
Why go after school children instead of high school kids?
I think the whole thing was contrived, the theater shooting, sandy hook, it reeks of corruption.
edit on 12/23/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Two points...

To the OP - It happens. Its not limited to gun owners vs anti-gun. Look at any "vs" thread here on ATS and you'll see it. Political left vs political right, Atheist vs Christian, most of any of the middle east threads.. I'm sure it goes on with other topics as well. The ability to discuss and debate any topic seems to have been lost and replaced by the taunts and jeers of schoolchildren. Every side does to some degree.

To the TheCanuckian - On the Neanderthals. In sense you are correct. Modern humans developed projectile weapons that allowed them to kill from distance - that combined with replacement via some inter-breeding seems to have been what wiped out the Neanderthals. Modern humans has superior firepower.



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt
 


Well said.....

Trying to inform these people and make them understand there ARE other lifestyles than the one they chose is impossible. They do not have the ability to think, consider the facts and be open minded that not everybody has the same beliefs.

If you don't look like them, have the same beliefs and live in their cookie cutter world then your a neanderthal.

Your wasting your tie and effort trying to teach them anything.

One of my favorite sayings sums it up.......

They have their minds made up, don't confuse them with the facts.

For an example of one of these people just look back a few posts before this one..... [/qu ote]

Are you are referring to me....then just call me out. Don't hidee behind vague assumptions of my hominid species type

You are still using insults as to the opposition being dumb and beneath your intellect to justify your views.

Insulting the opposition is meant to get them to use emotions to respond rather logic. It is a poor debate tactic



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
reply to post by TheCanuckian
 


This guy is right OP. You cavemen-cowboys are evolutionary has beens. You need to let your government decide what's best for you and turn over your guns. Then and only then can you join the rest of the world as we hold hands and prance around free of all crime and violence forever!



I'll agree with you after you post one clear example of a government disarming their citizens and it representing a clear jump in evolution. Just one?



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
The problem isen't that you carry, it's that you have to.

I have not been commenting in any of the threads going on for the last few weeks, but i have read them all.

The maniac going on a shooting spree to kill innocent people, isen't going to go away, it's unfortunately here to stay, i have seen people here thinking there is a quick solution to this problem, and think the solution is to have more weapons to the people to protect them self.

That aint gonna work at all, you might save some lifes in a specific rare situation, but over all it's just going to worsen the problem in the long term.

This isen't about criminals going on a shooting spree, this is maniacs with a lot of anger.

If you give more guns to the people, you give more guns to the maniacs.
Removing the guns, will be a very VERY long term solution, but as it's taking time you will still see innocent people getting killed, it's unavoidable as the situation is now, but MAYBE in the long run fewer people will get killed.

But is there really a solution to this? Well i don't think so, it's a problem thats here to stay, and sadly you will have to get used to it as the US is a #ed up country with a lot of #ed up people, and so is the rest of world when you look at the big picture.



This argument distracts from the reason Americans have a right to guns. To defend against the attempts to remove ourinaliable rights by those who would attempt to control or lives. I'm fighting for it regardless of anyone else's stance opinions about me based on an emotional response to a tragedy.



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone

Originally posted by wingsfan
reply to post by TheCanuckian
 


This guy is right OP. You cavemen-cowboys are evolutionary has beens. You need to let your government decide what's best for you and turn over your guns. Then and only then can you join the rest of the world as we hold hands and prance around free of all crime and violence forever!



I'll agree with you after you post one clear example of a government disarming their citizens and it representing a clear jump in evolution. Just one?


Of course I can't do that, because that is reality. My sarcastic post was more for those who don't live in reality. You know the ones that cry when a rare tragedy happen but say NOTHING about all the inner city murders that happen everyday?

After this event happened 90 were shot in Chicago, where's the people wanting to disarm them? And that is supposedly a gun-free zone.



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan

Originally posted by Mrgone

Originally posted by wingsfan
reply to post by TheCanuckian
 


This guy is right OP. You cavemen-cowboys are evolutionary has beens. You need to let your government decide what's best for you and turn over your guns. Then and only then can you join the rest of the world as we hold hands and prance around free of all crime and violence forever!



I'll agree with you after you post one clear example of a government disarming their citizens and it representing a clear jump in evolution. Just one?


Of course I can't do that, because that is reality. My sarcastic post was more for those who don't live in reality. You know the ones that cry when a rare tragedy happen but say NOTHING about all the inner city murders that happen everyday?

After this event happened 90 were shot in Chicago, where's the people wanting to disarm them? And that is supposedly a gun-free zone.


Then, my bad. I missed your point. I'm still missing it from your original reply.



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone

Originally posted by wingsfan

Originally posted by Mrgone

Originally posted by wingsfan
reply to post by TheCanuckian
 


This guy is right OP. You cavemen-cowboys are evolutionary has beens. You need to let your government decide what's best for you and turn over your guns. Then and only then can you join the rest of the world as we hold hands and prance around free of all crime and violence forever!



I'll agree with you after you post one clear example of a government disarming their citizens and it representing a clear jump in evolution. Just one?


Of course I can't do that, because that is reality. My sarcastic post was more for those who don't live in reality. You know the ones that cry when a rare tragedy happen but say NOTHING about all the inner city murders that happen everyday?

After this event happened 90 were shot in Chicago, where's the people wanting to disarm them? And that is supposedly a gun-free zone.


Then, my bad. I missed your point. I'm still missing it from your original reply.


I thought the "hold hands and prance around" part would of gave it away.



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan

Originally posted by Mrgone

Originally posted by wingsfan

Originally posted by Mrgone

Originally posted by wingsfan
reply to post by TheCanuckian
 


This guy is right OP. You cavemen-cowboys are evolutionary has beens. You need to let your government decide what's best for you and turn over your guns. Then and only then can you join the rest of the world as we hold hands and prance around free of all crime and violence forever!



I'll agree with you after you post one clear example of a government disarming their citizens and it representing a clear jump in evolution. Just one?


Of course I can't do that, because that is reality. My sarcastic post was more for those who don't live in reality. You know the ones that cry when a rare tragedy happen but say NOTHING about all the inner city murders that happen everyday?

After this event happened 90 were shot in Chicago, where's the people wanting to disarm them? And that is supposedly a gun-free zone.


Then, my bad. I missed your point. I'm still missing it from your original reply.


I thought the "hold hands and prance around" part would of gave it away.



Sorry,
. I guess I was in such a literal mode that my sarcasm meter was shut down. I'll slow down my responses from now on. Cheers



posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
While I appreciate the posts thus far, I would really like to try and remain on topic, by the continuance of a dissemination of the discrepancies offered as facts, in these threads.

Please post about the topic also, guys. Thank you...





new topics

top topics



 
16
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join