It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The very strange case of Enoch Soames, time travel, Teller, my friend's dad, and his unique photo.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
My friends,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned.

Here is a book by Sir Max Beerbohm called Enoch Soames: a memory of the eighteen-nineties.

Available to download for free HERE. Its even on Kindle

And here is an alternative story/view by Teller himself, Download Here

In fact, Google brings up a few good links on him.

This is awesome

Be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It appears Soames was a fictional character ..

Enoch Soames is a short story by the British writer Max Beerbohm. It appeared in the collection Seven Men (1919) and was originally published in the May 1916 edition of The Century Magazine. It is well known for its clever and humorous use of the ideas of time travel and pacts with the Devil. The story is also memorable for its complex combination of fact and fiction; though the hero Soames is a fictional character, the story is narrated by Beerbohm himself, and contains a written portrait of the real-life artist William Rothenstein, as well as countless references to contemporary events and places.

thecharlocksshade.blogspot.co.uk...

Spiro

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Or you could just download the book:
Amazon: Seven Men: Sir Max Beerbohm

I'm going to pick this book apart.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by Guyfriday
reply to post by Spiro

Or you could just download the book:
Amazon: Seven Men: Sir Max Beerbohm

I'm going to pick this book apart.

It's not the same book. Or am I missing something here?

Spiro

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

The book "Seven Men" has the story of Enoch Soames in it.

It can also be found here:
Project Gutenberg: Seven Men
edit on 24-12-2012 by Guyfriday because: Added Link

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Those two guys (Penn and Teller) do Magic Shows, right?

Heres a twist. I think the Devil lied to him (He's the Devil after all). I think that after the bargain was struck, the devil took him straight away and only let him out of Hell for the moment he promised him. So he didn't really "time travel" like we surmise. But then again, we all travel through time... one moment at a time.

Tellers Hell began the moment he agreed with the Devil.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
My friend,

reply to post by Spiro

The book "Seven Men" has the story of Enoch Soames in it.

I was under the impression the book in question was/is to do with the OP's thread, in which it is based around the book titled eighteen nineties upon which the character Soames plays a part?

Are you suggesting the book Seven Men has the full story of which we are discussing here?

Spiro

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
If you re-read the OP's post it states we are talking about the Eighteen Nineties. I have had a " quick glance at the book your referenced and it does not say anything about this. It does appear to be a different book

Ill keep reading for reference though lol

Spiro
edit on 24-12-2012 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Esquire writer infers a hoax by Teller:

As it turned out, there were about a dozen people in the Round Reading Room that afternoon — a dozen people who had been so struck by that short story at some point in their lives, they too had decided to make the trip to London. There was a woman from Malibu named Sally; there was a short, stocky Spanish man; there was a slender woman wearing pale green. And at ten past two, they gasped when they saw a man appear mysteriously out of the stacks, looking confused as he scanned empty catalogs and asked unhelpful librarians about his absence from the files.

The man looked just like the Soames of Teller's teenage imagination, "a stooping, shambling person, rather tall, very pale, with longish and brownish hair," and he was dressed in precise costume, a soft black hat and a gray waterproof cape. The man did everything Enoch Soames did in Max Beerbohm's short story, floating around the pin-drop-quiet room before he once again disappeared into the shelves.

"For some reason," Sally from Malibu said, "I'm having to fight tears." And all the while, Teller watched with a small smile on his face. He didn't tell anyone that he might have looked through hundreds of pages in casting books before he had found the perfect actor. He didn't tell anyone that he might have visited Angels & Bermans, where he had found just the right soft black hat and gone through countless gray waterproof capes. He didn't tell anyone that he might have had an inside friend who helped him stash the actor and his costume behind a hidden door in the stacks.

Even when Teller later wrote about that magical afternoon for The Atlantic, he didn't confess his role. He never has. "Taking credit for it that day would be a terrible thing — a terrible, terrible thing," Teller says. "That's answering the question that you must not answer." Read more: Teller's Magic - Profile of Teller - Esquire www.esquire.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

edit on 24-12-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
OP...There should be a time stamp somewhere on the photo...yes?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Yes, the full original story is in that book.

If you download the Project Gutenberg copy, then you'll see that Enoch Soames is the first story in the book.
edit on 24-12-2012 by Guyfriday because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
My friend,

reply to post by Spiro

Yes, the full original story is in that book.

If you download the Project Gutenberg copy, then you'll see that Enoch Soames is the first story in the book.
edit on 24-12-2012 by Guyfriday because: (no reason given)

Awesome, thanks for this.

I will give it a read on Boxing day. For now, goodnight and a very merry xmas to you and your loved ones.

Be safe be well, love and loved

Spiro

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Thanks for the valid question. There would be no time stamp on the photo as it was non digital.
But you don't need one IMHO. We have good evidence of its authenticity through my friends dads first hand account of how he got the photo and verification of his actual presence in Teller's piece. Which is cool!

Merry Christmas All ATS-ers.

edit on 24-12-2012 by manmental because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Most probably staged. But this time it don't matter still a great story

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Great post!

makes Time travel seem a bit more real if it actually happened.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
1997 is not that long ago.

Surely there would still be staff who were working that day who could add something and share their thoughts ?

I gather Mr Soames spoke with staff ?

Great story.

Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Interesting and fun story for Xmas but people don't actually believe this do they?
It's obviously a good yarn, a well put togrther, manufactured stunt.

Was a good read though

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I loved this. It's a shame I didn't know about this in '97. I would have loved to have been there to see if it happened. Thanks for the read.

(I LOVE Penn and Teller and especially loved their show bull# when it was on Showtime. They're an excellent illusion act, and excellent and exposing illusions, whether it be magical, or political. If Teller wrote this, hard to see if he were exposing it, or experiencing it. Hmmmm? *Twilight Zone Theme Song Plays Out*)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
wow I never heard of this until now but this is a great story! It is now making me wonder if it really happened, by which I mean the appearance and everything. Anything's possible I suppose, but we may never know for sure

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join