My heater is playing the radio again...

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I really hate it when it does that.

It never plays rock and if it did it's not like I could turn it up. It seems to be a lot of commercials and gospel.

I go outside and everything is quite.... no music.

How the hell is it doing that?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Maybe you should stop drying your clothes on the Radio. LoL

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Maybe you should stop drying your clothes on the Radio. LoL

Why the hell would I do that?

That would not be a very efficient way to dry clothes.

Furthermore THERE'S NO ACTUAL RADIO INVOLVED IN THIS.

The only radio I had broke a while back.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Hi op

Is it a 58 plymouth fury?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
auditory hallucinations.

I hate that. Spent a week hunting down the particular 'fan' that was sending me music. lol.

Ripped apart more than a few before I realised... *Doh!! I've gone bonkers..*

went away after that.. lol oh and I stopped taking zoloft.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Does your heater have a speaker? Because otherwise it cannot project any signals it might be picking up.

Sounds like auditory hallucinations to me too. Usually have to pay to experience such things

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

I doubt it's auditory hallucinations. There is quite possibly a legitimate, physical cause.

Are you living anywhere near a radio transmitter? I have seen reports over the years of various items that effective "resonate" to certain radio frequencies and sometimes it can be strong enough to create audible sounds. I believe this is more likely with AM waves than FM. At least, the phenomenon is not new and as I recall there were reports of such things even before FM radio came into common use.

EDIT to add: here's a snippet from New Scientist (Oct 2, 1999 edition) on a similar phenomenon:

Question: In 1980, my husband and I sailed from New Zealand to Hawaii and back. Just the other day we confessed to each other that, on quiet nights in the middle of the ocean when there was very little wind and hence very little boat noise, we could hear voices coming from the mast. These voices would be both male and female but you couldn't make out what they were saying. We were both quite sober and were not under stress.

Can anyone explain this? Our mast is aluminium and the stays are made of coiled wire.

Answer: The ghostly voices were from short-wave radio stations—possibly quite a few of them overlapping. The mast and the rigging of a typical small boat are just about the right size to resonate at the frequency of a short-wave radio signal. If two items of metal are joined and there is some corrosion ...

You can access this snippet at New Scientist {dot} com.

The point is, under some conditions objects can resonate to specific radio frequencies. While the above example relates to short-wave transmissions, the effect is also know with AM broadcasts. No "normal" speaker is required if the resonating object is in contact with another that effectively amplifies the resonance and makes it audible.

From a source in tech groups at Yahoo that also refers to the above article, we have the following snippets:

When I was a child, my family and I heard radio broadcasts
> at nights through our water heater. The pipes acted as the
> antenna and either the heater itself, or the small room it
> was in, acted as the speaker.
>
> George Siegenthaler , Norman Oklahoma
>
> During the Second World War the same phenomenon gave rise
> to many erroneous reports of the "foreign invaders" in
> areas of Britain close to short-wave transmitters. Strange
> voices in hedgerows at night were reported to the police
> or the Home Guard. On investigation it was found that
> modulated arcs on barbed-wire fences were picking up BBC
> World Service transmissions.
>
> Mike Wootton , Pattingham Staffordshire
>
> Back in the 1930s and 1940s a super-powerful AM transmitter
> was installed on an experimental basis in Texas. Local
> residents reported music coming from fence wire, bathtubs
> and even tooth fillings.

Source page is here.

Summary: I'd say you have a genuine case of radio-wave induced resonance. I don't know what type of heater you have, but some adjustment could slightly change its resonance characteristics and possibly reduce its ability to reproduce audible sounds.

If you can give more details about the heater then we can discuss a "fix" for the problem in more detail.

Mike
edit on 23/12/12 by JustMike because: added more references.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Thanks JustMike.

To the people saying it's a hallucination. Stop assuming there's something wrong with my brain simply because I'm hearing something. You're not here hearing it and are doubtfully a psychologist or expert.

I had a pretty good idea it's some kind of radio waves. I'm certain it's no hallucination. I have been concerned about this for a while and I pick up other sounds as well. I don't think it's specific to location but may be specific to my van (big metal box)... yet I hear things elsewhere as well.... so it could be a signal coming from somewhere around here. I hear lot's of voices while inside the house.... Some voices are regulars and very distinct from one another and I get a little aggravated when the music starts because it tends to drown out the other sounds. The voices do not sound like the talkers on the radio. I hear commercials of people talking but it doesn't sound like the other voices. It sounds like someone talking on the radio while the other voices seem to be closer and much more specific.

I also see things, flickering energy, plasma balls, a very distinct electric blue spiraling energy that always makes me feel a certain way... but the music and what sounds JUST like a AM radio station... it does very much feel artificial and external. There is NO WAY anyone could ever convince me it's a hallucination. That is definitely a radio station. You can tell by the timing of the talking/music.... it's all timed and paced out just like a gospel station, I can hear them people singing!

I've heard country music as well.

the only other thing that stands out is that this started happening at a certain time and it's been happening ever since, but it happens in 2 states. Before it started, I made a sound booth (because I like to sing with the music up loud and didn't want the neighbors to hear me screaming and call the police) It was basically a little sheetrock 4x4 closet with a door. I had one radio (which eventually went completely nuts one day and the CD drawer started opening and closing by itself) It was the only thing in the booth except my stool and it wads plugged into a socket OUTSIDE the booth, but the power was off.

Clear as day I heard guys talking like they were talking over CB....loud. It was coming through the speakers.

The heater though.... it's much more subtle, fainter.... but I know it isn't my imagination. It's very easy to tell when the music starts... and it's annoying. The other voices don't annoy me... most of them.

My heater is not the only thing that does it.

My refrigerator and monitor will sometimes start talking.

All of this equipment is inside the van though... but like I said I can also hear talking inside the house, mostly in the bathroom. I can't tell if it's coming from electronics.

Outside??... I hear nothing.... nothing! And I have listened for a while to see if I could hear anything.

edit on 23-12-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)
edit on 23-12-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
Does your heater have a speaker? Because otherwise it cannot project any signals it might be picking up.

www.liveleak.com...

I'm sorry, what was that??

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Hawking

www.liveleak.com...

I'm sorry, what was that??

That's freakin awesome.

Those guys are tripping out on that.

I want one of those magnet things that turns your whole car into a speaker. Talk about surround sound.

It's so funny... anytime somebody says "I heard something" and no one else hears it... automatic mental illness.
... as if jumping to conclusions like that is not the real proof of what is "crazy"
People like that can't even get to an answer without their social brainwashing getting in the way, but they say OTHER people imagine stuff.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
Hi op

Is it a 58 plymouth fury?

Not sure how you knew this was in a vehicle (although not the vehicles actual heater) but no... It's not a Plymouth Fury.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

The "'58 Plymouth Fury" reference was a bit a of joke, I expect, because that's the "haunted car" that was in Stephen King's classic horror story "Christine".
(One of his better stories, I think, though I still feel "The Stand" was by far the best.)

But back to the main subject.
If it's resonance from the heater, you may be able to fix the problem by something as simple as packing some higher-temp-resistant rubber insulation around any input/output pipes. Anything that will damp down or disturb the thing's ability to vibrate (resonate) can be effective. Ditto the main body of the thing.

With your vehicle it can be the same problem -- especially with larger areas of sheet metal or these days, even sheets of hard plastic. (The plastic doesn't normally pick up the AM/CB resonance, but it can amplify it from a metal part that did.)

You know how sometimes in a vehicle, there can be something that "buzzes" or vibrates at a certain engine rpm? Darned annoying. I had this problem with the dashboard of a car a while back and finally traced it to a couple of bolts that were a bit loose. I tightened the bolts to spec and that ended the buzz problem.

Okay, so while that was due to resonance transmitted from motor vibration, the principle is the same. At just the right frequency, things can resonate. Normally radio waves aren't powerful enough to be audible, but under some conditions the resonance from a smaller (metal) object gets amplified through a larger one and we can hear it.

As for picking up CB -- yeah, that's actually not so uncommon. If someone nearby is using a pretty powerful CB then speakers in a car sound system can pick it up pretty easily. Sometimes even a larger sheet metal part of the bodywork can do it -- and this actually is more likely than picking up AM radio signals.

The easiest fix is to fit some sound deadening material inside the sheet metal to kill the vibrations. With a van, a few small lengths of medium-hard rubber packing between the inner (pressed metal) frame and the outer sheet metal bodywork will usually do the trick.

I did this for a friend's van a few years back to kill some really loud motor-induced resonance he was getting in the van's bodywork. Took about ten minutes to fit some rubber packing in place and -- job done.

Mike
edit on 24/12/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

top topics

join