It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Click here to break out of the matrix

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

A state of absolute nothing could not, cannot, and will not ever exist. There has always been and always will be a state of somethingness.

If we put a red square in what we consider to be a state of nothingness, and then move the red square to the right, what filled in the space that the red square previously occupied on the left? "Nothing" can't fill in that space because "nothing" can't flow like water into the space. "Nothing" can't float like gas or smoke into the space. So, if it were possible to put that red square into a state of nothingness, it would be stuck in that one position. But, material things can't be placed into a state of nothingness because each move through the nothingness would require something to fill in the spaces that those material things previously occupied.

Simple logic.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

You're not making logical sense. This is what people do when they talk about things that they know nothing about.
If you think you know what you are talking about, how do you know its not really an illusion, and you really know nothing?

I know it is an illusion and I know it isn't real, and I know that the illusion isn't real. That doesn't mean it's not a real illusion.

But what you experience is an illusion. So its an illusion that you think you know its an illusion.

So you have no way of objectively knowing if its real or an illusion.

You said so yourself.

edit on 23/12/12 by atlasastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I would rather have no idea than to live with the wrong idea.

There has to be space before a thing can appear.
The tv screen has to be present and empty prior to any image that appears upon it. The screen (empty screen) does not go anywhere just because there appears to be something on it.

edit on 23-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

But, material things can't be placed into a state of nothingness because each move through the nothingness would require something to fill in the spaces that those material things previously occupied.

This is actually possible if we define mass objects as the absence of nothing.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

But, material things can't be placed into a state of nothingness because each move through the nothingness would require something to fill in the spaces that those material things previously occupied.

Material things?? The smallest 'building block' is made of 99.9999% empty space, scientists will tell you this.
Energy is moving.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I think the OP has managed to create one of these circular type debates. Who wants to jump of the merry go round of illussion now?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Maaannn.

People.

Nothing is real. Everything isn't real.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Prove it, objectively.

Maaaaaannnnn. Or its just not real.

link   

obviously you want to stay on the merry go round

link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by atlasastro
There is no such thing as nothing. Nothingness does not exist, Only the illusion of nothingness exists.

The illusion of nothingness is the something. It is impossible for an individual to have a truly objective experience. No one has ever had an objective experience because there is no such thing. Experiences aren't real. They appear to be real, but they are nothing. What is seen is the illusion.

Things aren't real because 'things' is made of thought. Experience is real.

Nothing is real because everything is nothing and nothing is nothing so nothing isn't real.

So nothing isn't real???
But at the start of the sentence you say nothing is real??
Which is it?

You're not making logical sense. This is what people do when they talk about things that they know nothing about.

Man oh man?
Is nothing real or is nothing not real?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Maaannn.

People.

Then why are you trying to convince unreal people??
And losing your patience doing so?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I think he is cracking.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Then why are you tying to convince unreal people??

You see in this world there are two types of people my friend those who are real and those who are unreal.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius2150

I just don't know why I do it,you'd think I know better.In fact I DO know better yet still I do it.Story of my life !!!

What did I do ???

Clicked on another 'matrix' or 'computer simulation',nature of reality threads.Oh dear.

We all have our outlook,some like philosophy and want to look beyond the viel,others like fast cars and guitars

Normally the roundabout arguements over the nature of reality end up annoying me and I want to scream 'this is reality and we're stuck with it'.lol.

The obvious response I'm expecting is either unwriteable,in terms of taste and offensiveness or else something like why bother reading it then and what the hell you wittering on about !!

Like I said,I know better yet still I click

Well OP,I am really glad I did because if I hadn't I wouldn't have come across your link to the Full Theory of Nothingness !!

Can I say thank you,I'd never heard of it before today and admittedly have only skimmed through some bits that instantly stood out but....

It's got that simplistic beauty to it that,for me,things that ring true usually do.

Anything that can quickly settle the utterly perplexing,to me,questions of what was before the big bang and what exists outwith and beyond the universe by means of adjusting your perspective a few degrees is worth reading.

Don't take this post the wrong way,the first part is just sunday afternoon tongue in cheekery at my own failings with philosophy but genuinely thanks for posting that link because that truly does make sense,particularly to my engineering taught mind,,heat transferance,entropy and partcularly for a fast car man pressure differential,it all makes perfect sense

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Then why are you tying to convince unreal people??

You see in this world there are two types of people my friend those who are real and those who are unreal.

There is nothing!!!!
No people.
This is nothing appearing as something.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Nothing exists. Life might experience existence, but it is confused. Nothingness is confusing. Hence the confusion of this thread on the topic of nothingness.

You don't exist. You are nothing. Everything is nothing. There is nothing and there are no things.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

You don't exist. You are nothing. Everything is nothing. There is nothing and there are no things.

Then how did you write and make your post

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Maaannn.

People.

Then why are you trying to convince unreal people??
And losing your patience doing so?

Because I'm bored.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Nothing exists. Life might experience existence, but it is confused. Nothingness is confusing. Hence the confusion of this thread on the topic of nothingness.

So nothing IS real. You said earlier that nothing isn't real.

Nothing exists and it looks like this.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Then how did you write and make your post

I explained the how of everything as best I could in the original post.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join