It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"San Francisco And Oakland Crowds Hand Over Guns In Buyback"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

It was mostly bankrolled by the local pot club.

link

It turns out that last weekend's big Oakland-San Francisco gun buyback - which took more than 600 firearms off the streets - was bankrolled in large part by a $100,000 donation from a medical pot club. Read more:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Withdrawn....
edit on 12/23/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Ok so let me get this straight.

The state of California who is broke as hell is giving out $200 iou's for people's firearms?

And there are people actually stupid enough to hand them over?

Good God my fellow Americans are hopeless.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
wow... how long have they been doing this?

They are serious about this.

This is a pretty crazy sign to behold.

I don't think it's a bad thing because you can't shoot the police or the government anyway so it's not protecting us from the government.

It's supposed to protect us from criminals and i believe in some cases it does but many cases just creates more criminals.

If they take our guns, we need better police. that's all there is to it. How do we not have crooked police?

How are we supposed to avoid THAT? We'll have to figure out something better straight away because apparently the police are insane.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Ruger alone sells almost 1 million guns a year.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

You are spot on man

That lever action is probably worth way more than 200......

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

Wait what? Praytell how does a gun create a criminal?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

So the government is buying them back?
Would that be tax money?
If so
Isn't it their money anyway.

And if I was a criminal, San Francisco And Oakland all of a sudden seems like a safer place to be.
edit on 23-12-2012 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
This is just crazy. On the one hand I am mad my fellow americans would be this dumb. On the other hand people this dumb don't need guns anyway. How can anyone be so stupid to take an IOU from a state thats broke, and Isn't the city of Oakland bankrupt too? Is it just me but doesn't that picture look like it has a whole lot more than 600 guns? Look on the table looks like they got a rocket launcher to.
edit on 23-12-2012 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I knew I'd seen this story before. In fact it's not this exact story, but this has happened a couple of times before--that I know of. For example:

February 2008

The Oakland buyback was especially absurd because of the high price offered: $250.
Did no one running the program think to look at the price of a new gun? In act, the first two people in line at one of the three buyback locations were gun dealers with 60 firearms packed in the trunk of their car.

May 2008

"Two cars in front of me when we pulled in, four guys got out and starting unloading literally boxes filled with guns," said Kerns. "At one point, a guy was walking up and down the line of cars saying 'If anyone has an assault rifle, I'll give you $300 for it. Don't take $250, I'll give you $300.'"

Jun 3, 2008

Oakland is often criticized for its gun violence, then not recognized when it tries to do something about it.

On Saturday, the Oakland Police Department set up the city’s first ever gun buyback in a Caltrans lot in Fruitvale.

The net recovery? 12 guns.

Anyway, however many times it happens, some gun-grabbing morons' dreams aren't coming true. It's not ending the violence, which is just as bad, if not worse, year after year....

edit on 12/23/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Well... at least now we can all put a price tag in america's second amendment!

PLUS! So if, Individually, the second amendment is worth 200usd... how much is the constitution?

I bet I'll soon see it on auction in that discovery channel show...

I'm interested in buying america's freedoms! They will be a fine collector's item in short time and I'll be making A LOT of money.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretWeapon

Stephenson, 44, a former airline mechanic who turned to marijuana to help deal with his arthritis, put up $50,000 cash. The plan was to pay $200 per gun, no questions asked.

No sooner did the twin events get under way Dec. 15 - one day after the Connecticut elementary school massacre - than it became clear the cash was going fast.

"The cars were stretched longer than the fan line to a Raiders game," Joyner said.

A call was to made to Stephenson, and within 45 minutes another $50,000 arrived.

Surprisingly enough, this one was not tax money funded at all. Surprised the hell out of me at least.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
How can a airline mechanic come up with $100,000 to blow on nothing that will benefit him or his family or anyone so quickly. I am calling B.S., I bet that hea just a frontman for the Justice Department's new gun running scheme. I bet these guns are already in Mexico, if not they are at the border awaiting pick up.
edit on 23-12-2012 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Wait what? Praytell how does a gun create a criminal?

OH GET REAL!

What do you want me to do LIVE HERE?

I could go on about this ALL DAY.

I'm not going to go back and forth with case files that were escalated by the presence of a gun because I'm smart enough to know that your mind is most likely made up anyway and although my mind is not completely made up on gun control, the presence of a gun escalates the potential of a crime because a trigger is simply very easy to pull and that's why guns make so many people nervous. That's MY OPINION ON THAT and I DON'T NEED TO PROVE THIS TO YOU.

Can it really be proven anyway if your mind is made up? Doubtfully... Because people will interpret situations they merely read about and are not at the scene of the crime.... however they chose to interpret them so both ways IT'S OPINION.

People are picking weird # to argue about today.

Nitpicking every little opinion I have today is not making for good debate. This is clearly a matter of opinion and ours differ. Do we need to go over that 20-30 times to come to the exact same conclusion, that our opinion is different.... because that is all that is going to happen and I've got better things to do.

Get off my case and do not make this thread about my opinion.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Are you sure you are not an aspie? Talk about blowing a gasket......

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by geldib

City money did not fund the Saturday buyback. The program was funded by nonprofit groups and a $100,000 donation from Keith Stephenson, who runs Purple Heart Patient Center, a medical marijuana dispensary in Oakland.

Seems legal pot must bring in quite the profit

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I just find it hard to believe that any successful businessman in this economy has $100,000 to waste. He must have a whole chain of pot shops, cause he ain't making that kinda money off just 1.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Are you sure you are not an aspie? Talk about blowing a gasket......

That's got nothing to do with being an aspie...

I'm trying to read up on some news here, form my own opinions and ask my own questions only to have people argue with me about things that aren't going to change or solve anything... I don't like playing this game. Big time waster.

I'm not going to answer any more replies to my mere opinions until somebody quotes my post for something that will benefit ME as well... and that is telling me how long this has been going on.

Yes, I have opinions. Sorry if you don't like.
Today, I do not have time to try to convince you.

Does anybody know when they started doing this?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
6 or 7 hundred guns is a drop in the ocean. many of those guns are either not working or cheap crap not even worth $200 on the market and yea a few dumb-asses may have turned in decent guns but the media makes this into a big deal when it is a joke.

Its meaningless media hype there will always bee a few dummies who will turn in weapons but most of them are just getting money for broken and or cheap crap they couldn't get otherwise.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
The photograph accompanying the article has a striking graphic quality to it, at least to me. The wood stocks of the rifles juxtaposed with the handguns in the middle. It's very effective at conveying its message, which to me, causes me to call in to question the authenticity of this whole thing. I have no doubt that there would be people turning up to turn in a gun for a couple hundred bucks but I do cock my head and question such a homogenous media image.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join