It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An opinion on gun control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Here is a blog post from a favorite author of mine. Long read, but well worth it.
An opinion on gun control

Here is a short snippet from it.

I didn’t want to post about this, because frankly, it is exhausting. I’ve been having this exact same argument for my entire adult life. It is not an exaggeration when I say that I know pretty much exactly every single thing an anti-gun person can say. I’ve heard it over and over, the same old tired stuff, trotted out every single time there is a tragedy on the news that can be milked. Yet, I got sucked in, and I’ve spent the last few days arguing with people who either mean well but are uninformed about gun laws and how guns actually work (who I don’t mind at all), or the willfully ignorant (who I do mind), or the obnoxiously stupid who are completely incapable of any critical thinking deeper than a Facebook meme (them, I can’t stand).

Today’s blog post is going to be aimed at the first group. I am going to try to go through everything I’ve heard over the last few days, and try to break it down from my perspective. My goal tonight is to write something that my regular readers will be able to share with their friends who may not be as familiar with how mass shootings or gun control laws work.

Spend a few minutes reading it. You'll be glad you did.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Alright...but I suppose the blog is preaching to the choir, so to speak...people have their minds made up, and anti-gun folks will undoubtedly say...it's the same old tired pro-gun stuff as well...but I'll give it a read. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Cybermerc

Dude, he is advocating teachers carrying guns. The teaching profession has a history of teachers snapping from pressures of trying to teach unruly kids and heavy workloads. So by all means, give them a gun so when they snap under pressure instead of sending the student to the principal give them the ability to shoot the student instead.
But why stop there, all bank tellers should also carry guns just in case when an armed robber appears they can have a good old fashioned shoot out where many innocents are killed or maimed.
And while we are on it, how about legally arming the convenience store or bus driver, where do you want this madness to stop?
Ah yes of course you advocate everyone owning a gun so if someone abuses you you can have a shootout, if someone jumps in front of you in a queue you could shoot them, they certainly wouldn't do that again.
I read his argument and his whole life revolves around guns, he is not a very good example for your argument against proposed gun laws in fact he is probably part of the reason you need gun laws.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I don't consider what he is saying as being preachy at all. This guy really knows what he is talking about and covers a lot of different topics and arguments. Whenever I see some anti-gun comment I either quote from it or just past a link to the entire blog. Doesn't shut down the hard core anti-gun types (there is no convincing them), but usually does shut down the rest.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras

Dude, he is advocating teachers carrying guns. The teaching profession has a history of teachers snapping from pressures of trying to teach unruly kids and heavy workloads. So by all means, give them a gun so when they snap under pressure instead of sending the student to the principal give them the ability to shoot the student instead.
But why stop there, all bank tellers should also carry guns just in case when an armed robber appears they can have a good old fashioned shoot out where many innocents are killed or maimed.
And while we are on it, how about legally arming the convenience store or bus driver, where do you want this madness to stop?
Ah yes of course you advocate everyone owning a gun so if someone abuses you you can have a shootout, if someone jumps in front of you in a queue you could shoot them, they certainly wouldn't do that again.
I read his argument and his whole life revolves around guns, he is not a very good example for your argument against proposed gun laws in fact he is probably part of the reason you need gun laws.

Nothing is stopping teachers from bringing guns into the class now. Did you even stop to consider that? If other teachers had guns they at least could stop them before too much damage is done.

And apparently you didn't read the entire blog.

He is the reason we need gun laws? Really? Because he is a law abiding citizen we need more gun laws? That is some messed up logic there.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

No because he is obviously obsessed by guns and anything related to guns, his whole business at one point was selling guns. No I read a fair bit of it but all it seemed to me was his opinion on why guns are great and why we all should own one, he obviously has a vested interest in people owning guns.
I dont live in the US, I have never held a gun and therefore never fired one. I am 47 years old and in my country we dont need guns in everyday life. What happened in that school was terrible but arming the teachers will never be the answer. Too wrongs will never make a right.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras

No because he is obviously obsessed by guns and anything related to guns, his whole business at one point was selling guns. No I read a fair bit of it but all it seemed to me was his opinion on why guns are great and why we all should own one, he obviously has a vested interest in people owning guns.
I dont live in the US, I have never held a gun and therefore never fired one. I am 47 years old and in my country we dont need guns in everyday life. What happened in that school was terrible but arming the teachers will never be the answer. Too wrongs will never make a right.

I'd say you fall into the "willfully ignorant" category. So that blog post really isn't for you. It's for the people who either mean well but are uninformed about gun laws and how guns actually work. It's not for people with an uninformed opinion that are not looking to change it no matter what they learn.

new topics

top topics

join